BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What are your opinions on Narco Corridos [Drug Ballads]?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:25 PM
What are your opinions on Narco Corridos [Drug Ballads]?

I spotted this video on YouTube, and I thought I'd ask.

Chalino was a casualty of the Drug wars, singing songs that named names, and he got killed for it. The songs remain, online, and he is considered the father of the drug ballads.

Chalino Sanchez - Bronco Fajiado
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp-IAFZngY

Any opinions?

Ken

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 10:28 PM

This video features lots of pistols and women:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=RT753g0h1aw

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:12 PM

Well, as you say Ken it can lead to the grave when you sing about one of these over another, and he is not the only one that hit the ground over singing about these drug runners. Just like here when the rappers of WestCoast were shooting EastCoast. Later-------bajafun777

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 11:15 PM

Hes was an idiot, there is absolutely nothing positive about his music.

geobas
Banned

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 12:06 AM

I listened to the video. In my opinion he was not shot to stop him from singing about narcos, but to just stop him from singing. Boy, he is really bad, and so in the band.

And only a pimp would have a chrome plated pistol with pearl grips and keep his finger on the trigger while he was waving it.
tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 01:15 AM

They sound like typical Northern Mexico music. I think it rather silly to sing about drug trafficking.

The BBC has this short video on Narcocorridos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/spanish/av/culture/2008/09/080917_narco...
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 04:17 AM

The "corridos" sing about a major event, people, horses. They make you remember, exalting the values (if any) of this or that. In many cases, they exploit the people's predisposition against the government and support the individuals portrayed elevating them to hero status.
The music is regional and as such, its quality is of of relative value within their genre. It may be good within its own little world. Outside of it, it just can't compete.
The image of the singer Chalino, believe it or not, is the prototype of many, way too many young mexican kids out there who play and sing his songs.
It is sad to see how this "cultural movement" has gained so much acceptance, supporting and admiring drug traffickers and outlaws. I guess it speaks of how Mexicans feel about their authority reps.

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2008 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Going from a farm hand in the Coachella valley to creating his own sub-genre of music isn't done by most idiots.

Eugenio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Going from a farm hand in the Coachella valley to creating his own sub-genre of music isn't done by most idiots.

If you're saying that Chalino created the subgenre of narcocorridos out of the genre of corridos I'm afraid I don't quite buy it - narcocorridos go way back to the 50's and 60's.

As far as whatever (monetary) success he had - you could also argue that it's a testament to the free enterprise system of the US - he didn't (or coudn't) do it in Mexico.

I personally don't like the message that narcocorridos send - but that's subjective - and I'm not a proponent of cencorship.

The way I see it - corridos and narcocorridos are fantasy - tall tales. Anybody with a voice can participate. By murdering the occasional "artist", the real narco folk are simply introducing an element of THEIR reality into their domain. The narco lifestyle ain't pretty.

[Edited on 11-4-2008 by Eugenio]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 11:01 AM
Darwinism and the Artistic Ideal

A demonstration of both.

I'm sure he died happy that he would become better-known after death as other artists have.

One can only hope for more to achieve such success.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
A demonstration of both.

I'm sure he died happy that he would become better-known after death as other artists have.

One can only hope for more to achieve such success.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

He didnt create a subgenre, but anyways, in that particular industry, you make it not because of your music, but because of the connections you have with top narco traffickers, and how much you risk your neck singing about killings and offending other drug dealers. I hardly think that has to do with anything related to good music.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 08:54 PM

Chalino Sánchez was born and raised to a poor family in Las Flechas , Sinaloa, Mexico. His father was Santos Sánchez, his mother Senorina Felix. They had seven siblings, Armando, Lazaro, Regulo, Lucas, Espiridion (El Indio) ,Francisco and Juana. Chalino experienced tragedies and poverty at the age of 6, when his father passed away, throwing his family into turmoil. His sister Juana was raped by a local mafioso who lived nearby, prompting Chalino to act angrily at the incident. He killed the man, and then later flew to California, to escape mexican authorities.

In 1977, Chalino illegally migrated to the United States, accomplishing his route with the help of a local "pollero" (people smuggler) across the border of Baja California. Upon his arrival, he began working in the fields of Coachella and profiting from odd jobs given to him. While concentrating on his regular business, Chalino's sister, Juana Sánchez, introduced him to Marisela Vallejos Felix, who would later give birth to two of his children, Adán Chalino Sánchez Vallejos and Cynthia Sánchez Vallejos. Just as Chalino thought everything was going well, another tragedy occurred in his family when his brother, Armando Sánchez, was found murdered at a hotel. His brother was betrayed by a good friend of his. This event prompted Chalino to write and sing about tragedies, drug dealers and love songs.

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 09:08 PM
Has Had Family Members

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Just as Chalino thought everything was going well, another tragedy occurred in his family when his brother, Armando Sánchez, was found murdered at a hotel. His brother was betrayed by a good friend of his. This event prompted Chalino to write and sing about tragedies, drug dealers and love songs.

Knowing this makes it easy to understand why he chose the themes preferred to sing about. His son, Adan Chalino Sanchez chose to stick only with love songs and ballads. Sadly, he died enroute to a concert in Sinaloa, Mexico in 2004. He was only 20 yrs. old at the time of death.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 09:15 PM
Locals Do Not Like the NT Noise

I am talking about young, middle class, college attending, serious good people.

We were having lunch with a group, a boom truck pulled up, blasting out the noxious sounds. They all cringed and tried to ignore the situation.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 09:46 PM

About as interesting as Gangsta Rap.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2008 at 10:06 PM
This is an interesting article

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
About as interesting as Gangsta Rap.

Muting the music mayhem - Los Angeles Times

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 12:30 AM

Well said Bill, for once we are on the same page. This sort of music, like Gangster rap barely qualifies as music and is corruptive to our shared values. I could slap silly any kid I hear referring to a woman as a "hoe" and from my perspective condoning drive by shooting is to support terrorism. I noticed the companion videos of the Mexican Gangsters with their Uzis and bad hair just itching to blow someone away. I also saw scenes of practice execution videos and the aftermath of the real thing. Glorification of this lifestyle gives young people, who might listen to this “music” a role model that is very hard for all of us to live with. Put weapons in the hands of uneducated, low self esteem and alienated youth and you have a future murder on your hands and you played a part in it.

I am not in favor of censorship but I do encourage the attachment of social stigma on things as destructive as Gangster Rap and this music.

Iflyfish
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2008 at 06:04 PM
Los Tucanes, Chalino Sanchez, El de la Sierra, etc.

Does anyone have a collection of these ballads at home? :?:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.