[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 09:02 PM

Final - 30 - San Francisquito:

[Edited on 11-9-2008 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2008 at 11:11 PM

I will change the thread title so it will reflect that pilots other than Capt. Mike will be showing there photos, too.

Thanks for contributing!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 03:38 PM
Playa Frambes has it all!

taken about 1000 ft AGL

PlayaFrambes3 (Small) (Custom).jpg - 41kB

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2008 at 05:10 PM

He Capt. Mike! Why do you not do a Book like Sennitiff did on all the Strips still open. Use Phots instead of Diagrams.

Would be a great Book.

I can still feel my Butt Puckerr\going into the old Hotel Muelge Strip. Ask Saul sometimes about that Cessna 170 B which came in there at times on a Hot Day.!!

David: Thanks for all the Photos from all you guys, It makes the old heart Thump..

Does any one have any shots of Punta Pulpito or the strip just South of Bombero on the turn off to San Nicholas?? Woulds appreciate s\Loolkng at them.

Thanks again.

Skeet
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 08:34 AM

"Punta Pulpito or the strip just South of Bombero on the turn off to San Nicholas"

sorry Skeet i am not familiar with those places. my Senterfitt guides begin with issue 15th 1980.
if you can give me some help i'll see if there are photos in my book.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 08:38 AM
punta bufeo

PBYC-2.JPG - 45kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2008 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
"Punta Pulpito or the strip just South of Bombero on the turn off to San Nicholas"

sorry Skeet i am not familiar with those places. my Senterfitt guides begin with issue 15th 1980.
if you can give me some help i'll see if there are photos in my book.

Mike my 1987 (17th edition) Sentrfitt 'Airports of Baja Ca.' has both... (pgs. 226, 227)

Punta Pulpito is 42 miles north of Loreto/ 26 miles south of Mulege, at the base of the Concepcion peninsula. Runway then is listed at 1,170' with lots of brush. In 1972, it's length was 1,470'... used by cattle buyers and occaisional tourists seeking a private beach, Arnold says!

The other one Skeet is asking about is Rancho Rosarito, on Hwy. 1 south of the bottom of Concepcion Bay, at the turnoff to San Nicolas. That runway was upgraded for the highway construction company plane. The 1972 Airports of Baja has runway 36/18 at 3,613' long... The 1987 edition only 1,755 with the other runway (20/02) at 1,911'.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 07:41 AM

David: Thanks ; Those are two of the Strips I went into often while living at San Nicholas.

Sure will appreciate the Photos if you find them Pomp.

Do any of you remember going into the Beach Strip at the end of Conception? The very end where the Road now goes around the South Point.

Also at one time there was an Airstrip at Escondia Bay near Tripui.

Thanks again for all the good Photos

Skeet
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 09:59 AM

i have the Ahhhnold.... Senterfitt editions DK mentions and i'll see if i can scan them , the pix, and post here, Skeet.

skeet , ever hear about an old V tailed bonanza pilot from Az named G. W.? last name rhymed with "purchase". he was a hoot, used to fly Sams trips in the mid 80s, that's when i met him once at Bahia Kino.

anyway he didn't like Senterfitt very much for reasons i won't divulge here - but he always referred to Arnold as Sentersh*t.
i used to laugh my arse off when old GW got on a roll.
he flew a very fast turboed 35 w/ 300 hp. He was so big he could barely get the yoke pulled back to flare. He lost his medical and sold the plane.
when he talked he spoke and sounded just like Foghorn Leghorn from old Warner bros cartoons. if you can imagine that....:lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
David: Thanks ; Those are two of the Strips I went into often while living at San Nicholas.

Sure will appreciate the Photos if you find them Pomp.

Do any of you remember going into the Beach Strip at the end of Conception? The very end where the Road now goes around the South Point.

Also at one time there was an Airstrip at Escondia Bay near Tripui.

Thanks again for all the good Photos

Skeet

Here are those strips and a couple more from Senterfitt's 1972 edition:

This one was brought up on another thread about the old house with a cardon cactus growing on the roof:

Read what Arnold says about this place... I guess this was before any surfers discovered 'Scorpion Bay'!?

airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 11-27-2008 at 01:26 PM

Here's an airport I'll bet no one can name. We had to use it when the coast was fogged in. 1100 ft long with ocotillo trees at the end. It been a year since we have taken pictures in an ill fated attempt at re doing Arnolds' book.

bonfil250k7.JPG - 44kB

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 08:16 AM

1100 ft??!!
yikes airmech - that is a short sucker!!
can't do it in my bird.
i was going to say El Vergel from the pic but i know they have at least 1600'

how about some clues?:light:

airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 09:35 AM

We left Loreto with a full load of fuel, got to San Ignacio which was IFR, didn't want to go back, and then found this place.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 10:25 AM

am still stumped, are you flying an italian plane? a Bellanca? that's what your avatar looks like to me.
1100 ft , man that would be an easy in for me but a tough out. arse pucker unless i was light with a stiff wind and cool temps.
crap......now ya got me leafing thru Galen's book looking for a picture like that.

more clues....puleeeeze??!!!:?:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 10:41 AM

Clues: 'Between Loreto and San Ignacio'; 'Coast was fogged in': so San Ignacio Lagoon, not the town; 'Ocotillos'...

The photo is looking westward, as the fog bank can be seen...

>>> I will guess Cadejé (?)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by airmech
... It been a year since we have taken pictures in an ill fated attempt at re doing Arnolds' book.

It sure would be great if you would treat us with your airstrip photos... I also could make a web site just for your pictures... All your work shouldn't be in vain!!

I enjoy looking over Arnold's photos from 40 years ago, still!

Senterfitt-4r.JPG - 45kB

airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 11:33 AM

Not Cadeje, and not in ANY airport book. The locals (police and military) were very nice and told us we were the largest plane they had land there. Just leaving now for BOLA now so we'll tell the answer Sun eve when we get back.
PS We would have liked another 100 or so feet for takeoff, we trimmed the Ocotillos a bit.

— George Bernard Shaw
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 01:01 PM

That would be some town with both police and military!!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 01:43 PM
SLI strip south of the town for whales trips

i have pics of cadaje but it is 2000' twice as long as Airmech's spot.
they are in bitmat image i have to file convert to jpg. Don't know if i can and as is they are too big file size for the puny 50 KBs we get here.

i remain stumped!!

wha051 (Custom).jpg - 31kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2008 at 02:15 PM

Mike, go to www.photobucket.com... it is free (your style of web site)!

When you are ready to copy photos from your PC to the photobucket page, click on '800X600, 15" screen' (or a smaller) size for the re-sizing option (to post on Nomad witout distorting the web page (like too big pictures will do here).

Then, once you have copied all your photos onto your photobucket.com album (at the 800X600, or smaller re-sized size), you can put the images here on Nomad (several per post).

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.