Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Mission Hotel in Loreto - update
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 12:06 PM
La Mission Hotel in Loreto - update

Had a rude awakening today as we stopped by the La Mission Hotel in Loreto that has been in the process of re-building for the past year or so. We were "invited" to a pre-opening tour and complimentary breakfast by a rep on the street the night before. When we showed up this morning, it turns out that the La Mission "Hotel" is actually an eleborate time-share operation! We were going to have to sit through the typical hour and a half presentation with the hard sell to follow. We bailed on everything once we knew what was going on. We are really disappointed that such a great Loreto landmark is being basterdized into a time share venture. I will admit they are doing a first class job on remodeling the old shell with marble flooring and first class finishes throughout, but a time share!!!! If you go on their web site, it sure looks like a hotel, and in fact they do have a few of the rooms fitted out to be actual hotel rooms, but the vast majority will be time share suites. Bummer...........

http://lamisionloreto-px.trvlclick.com/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 01:32 PM

speaking of lousy business practices, Domingo's (the old El Nino's) is allowing a woman from the Ensenada Blanca time share project to work the room...she has been known to greet patrons as if she were a hostess, seat them, and ask all those 'are you visiting' type questions and then sit down at the table and start her spiel...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
speaking of lousy business practices, Domingo's (the old El Nino's) is allowing a woman from the Ensenada Blanca time share project to work the room...she has been known to greet patrons as if she were a hostess, seat them, and ask all those 'are you visiting' type questions and then sit down at the table and start her spiel...

Soloman's in Cabo San Lucas also alows a time share b-tch to work to restaurant ... she is blond with rather large chi-chis ...

CaboRon

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 03:28 PM

i'd think with what will be happening around Loreto operating it as a hotel alone would have made decent $$.

especially given what Posada and Oasis is getting these days. they have a superior location with nice grounds/amenities - why not advantage themselves with good competitive price and fill the dang place?

interval ownership is such a drag. and a horrendous investment.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 04:25 PM

We were taking an evening stroll on our stop in Loreto and got hit up about coming to a timeshare presentation. Can't say that I even paid any attention to the name of the timeshare.

One thing that really surprised us was how few people were out walking. Saturday evening, nice temp and hardly a soul on the malecon. Went down by the church and the street with the trees made into arches and we were practically the only ones there, except for the timeshare sales group.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2008 at 04:46 PM

For a while recently the Mision Hotel had a big banner up that said, "A New Concept In Boutique Hotels." :lol:

This was just before they started stopping people on the Malecon for "breakfast and a free tour."

There are few visitors here, and between the new Mision and the four story Villas hotel near Domingo's there will be no shortage of rooms, but perhaps a shortage of visitors.

Work on the nearly finished Tesoro condos next to the Mision Hotal appears to have slowed or stopped.

I think we have several big projects here born in the time of the "irrational exuberance" that followed the initial construction and promotion from the Loreto Bay Company. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mision decays back to where it was before the remodel, just a little bit taller.

Edit: I'll attach a pic taken a few days ago.

[Edited on 11-14-2008 by Don Alley]

hotel.jpg - 41kB
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Had a rude awakening today as we stopped by the La Mission Hotel in Loreto that has been in the process of re-building for the past year or so. We were "invited" to a pre-opening tour and complimentary breakfast by a rep on the street the night before. When we showed up this morning, it turns out that the La Mission "Hotel" is actually an eleborate time-share operation! We were going to have to sit through the typical hour and a half presentation with the hard sell to follow. We bailed on everything once we knew what was going on. We are really disappointed that such a great Loreto landmark is being basterdized into a time share venture. I will admit they are doing a first class job on remodeling the old shell with marble flooring and first class finishes throughout, but a time share!!!! If you go on their web site, it sure looks like a hotel, and in fact they do have a few of the rooms fitted out to be actual hotel rooms, but the vast majority will be time share suites. Bummer...........

http://lamisionloreto-px.trvlclick.com/

thank you ncampion for posting this information as it is valuable information to travelers to Loreto and for residents and businesses. It is disappointing news and confirms my suspicions that something "was up" when I saw their wholesale pricing as I believed the prices that they were offering me as an agent were too high for the market considering where the property is located.

The malecon although well located and with beautiful views is the noisiest place in town at night, maybe in all of the baja. I lived on the malecon for six noisy months back in year 2000 and couldn't stand it any longer so moved out of town in the hills. It has gotten worse over the years with cars cruising at low speed with HUGE speakers blasting thumping base so loudly that it shakes windows and hurts your ears. Also there are tailgate parties all up and down the avenue where partiers drink and pee in public and throw their garbage around while their car doors remain open so their loud base stereos can be heard as far as one to two blocks away. I also haven't mentioned the drag racing that goes on. It is the worst on weekends and starts around dark but goes on beyond 3 and 4AM. Often they are still at it when I arrive at the marina to send the boats out in the early morning. Residents and business owners have complained about it for years but it continues. If some former politico owned the new mission hotel something would be done about it but it is gringo owned so nothing will change. This is the truth not an exaggeration.

El Hotel Mision, now called "LA Mision" is on the malecon of downtown Loreto and is a historic landmark for Loreto. I believe it first opened in 1964 and rumors were that John Wayne and Elvis Presley have stayed there. It was the first hotel I stayed at during my first visit to Loreto in 1991 when we flew in a piper cherokee and when it was the center of the universe in Loreto, THE place to stay. "Our room" was right next to the bar pelicano within crawling distance :lol: that place holds a lot of memories. My husband worked there way back when alongside with the current diputado. That big rubber tree made excellent shade to sit under by the pool and enjoy down cold pacificos con limon y sal. We'd hang out and watch boats come in and tell fish stories with the other fishermen..... those days are slipping away but the interesting thing is that the very same tourist base that these new projects are poo-pooing is the same base that comes to Loreto and has supported this town through good times and bad.

People came to Loreto because there were no time share people to bother them, because it was quiet and laid back. So now what? Will we get a new kind of tourist just because they will open their doors? IMHO being in the travel industry in Loreto for 12 years and knowing this place intimately, this new hotel would be extremely wise to run like a real hotel and to promote to the client base that is already in place and established, at least for now. They should price themselves right between the Hotel Oasis and the Desert Inn (La Pinta) and they would have been able to take all of their business and build a client base, then they would become the center of Loreto's universe again. But greed has taken over and we have seen the results of greed lately and it is reverberating throughout the world.

Pricing for Desert Inn a deluxe room is $125/night including tax and for the Hotel Oasis garden view it is $125 plus 13% tax, La Mision in low season (may through early dec, going on memory) will be selling for $185/night plus 13% tax ($210) and this is a "Mountain View" room, the Ocean Front rooms will sell for $243/night tax included. Even Inn Loreto Bay is more economical at $175/night including tax in the summer low season and they have gotten smarter in offering a 4th night free incentive. Summer is the time period I book most as that's when the fishing is best, which is why I mention these seasons rates.

On another note, thank you rhintransit for the information on Domingo's Place. Domingo is very foolish to allow a time share seller in his establishment to bother patrons. I would be tempted to KO a timeshare salesperson who tried to bother me during a meal out. I have heard from the coconut telegraph that there is also a timeshare hawker in his other restaurant La Palapa. I will speak to Domingo and ask if this is true and if so, why he is doing this. Hundreds if not thousands of tourists throughout any given year ask me where to eat and I will not only not recommend restaurants that have in house timeshare hawkers but I will also warn them about them.

On the new timeshare thing- this is new to Loreto and currently unregulated. There are very few tourists in town right now and there are very many timeshare hawkers bothering them and even us residents. When a resident states that they are not interested it would be nice if the TS hawkers kept their nasty comments to themselves but they do not, they come close to threatening residents and snapping cell phone photos of them. It is hurting business in the center of town, Cafe Ole has lost much of their regular customers as have the giftshops near the downtown timeshare office. You would think they would "get it" hard pressure sales turn most people off and many are now avoiding that part of town, now they will have to avoid the malecon too? I have had many a conversation with frustrated business owners lately and at this point our hands are tied. I hope that we can all come together and put some reasonable restrictions on them so that Loreto will continue to be the charming, laid back and beautiful place that keeps people wanting to come back.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 09:43 AM

well said Pam.
did you ever hear back from the Beech pilot fishing clients re: the airport incident?
his last post on BBP was weeks ago and it just said he was in the process of getting thru the red tape but was optimistic he'd get some $$ back.
he also said on the record that despite their paying thru the nose, ref to the incident, that the fishing was spectacular and they would go back. how do you like that!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 09:47 AM

When I drive north this May I will be staying at a small Mexican hotel a block behind the south end of the Malicon (at 200 pesos a night) and haveing dinner at Augies, where you can still get a good steak at reasonable prices.
Other than that Loretto offers nothing to me.
Have they finished the dirt road to the Malicaon yet?
The time share salesmen are just another reason not to patronize Loretto.

CaboRon

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
well said Pam.
did you ever hear back from the Beech pilot fishing clients re: the airport incident?
his last post on BBP was weeks ago and it just said he was in the process of getting thru the red tape but was optimistic he'd get some $$ back.
he also said on the record that despite their paying thru the nose, ref to the incident, that the fishing was spectacular and they would go back. how do you like that!!

no I haven't heard back from the pilot but they were here visiting a resident and fishing with us and told me they'd be back. one of the passengers however was scared off to coming back and I can't say I blame him. I sure hope he sees that money come back.

[Edited on 11-14-2008 by flyfishinPam]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 11:20 AM

The owner of Domingo's would get rid of the TS hawker if his customers walked out as soon as she sat down and began her spiel. I certainly would walk out.
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 12:20 PM
Time Share spiels

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
The owner of Domingo's would get rid of the TS hawker if his customers walked out as soon as she sat down and began her spiel. I certainly would walk out.

The fact is that Domingo's Restaurant is where the time share "free" introductory breakfast, lunch and dinner pitches are held. So he has a deal with them to host and is obviously being paid for the meals.

I had an agressive salesman hit on me and give me two free breakfast coupons at Domingo's including a complementary bottle of Kahlua and Tequila. These are the Villa Group salespeople selling the "Villa del Palmar" who have their office across from Cafe Ole.

Their project will probably fizzle out before you know it. :rolleyes:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2008 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana

The fact is that Domingo's Restaurant is where the time share "free" introductory breakfast, lunch and dinner pitches are held. So he has a deal with them to host and is obviously being paid for the meals.

well good luck to him because those will be his only customers soon enough. in rough times like this it is the local residents that support a business such as his and when they leave he will feel it. also once the word goes out to the sane tourists they also won't go in. I know several who have already vowed not to patronize there and he will also be hearing my concerns. I will remove his link from my website now.
starksilvercreek

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 02:13 AM

We just finished an interview on La Mision with their project director as part of our Loreto Live podcast series.

http://www.starksilvercreek.com/2008/11/loreto-live-la-mision-loreto-hotel-and-development.html

The timeshare option on the hotels was mentioned.

We also found out that there is another development that is planned for 30 km south of LTO called "Loreto Villages" done by the same folks. Planned start on this is late 2010.

This past visit, Loni and I did notice the increase in timeshare sales people. Not only are they very aggressive, but they tend to be not honest initially that they are timeshare sales people. A couple of them were under a "Tourist Information" sign and tried to convince us they were an information booth.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 07:59 AM

Ah yes, the old "tourist information" scam .... they are all over the downtown and marina area of Cabo San Lucas.

Very pushy there also and a blight on the city.

CaboRon

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2008 at 08:16 AM

Esposa primera and I stayed at the Mision in 1985 (camping and moteling honeymoon)... the bar and pool were great... super peña coladas... we stayed again on our return north from the cape... lightning show all night over the gulf (late June).

It was there when I wrote my first two Baja books as well (1973, 1974)... However, I do not believe it existed in the 60's. The first 'resort' was the Flying Sportsman Lodge (cover photo of Ray Cannon's Sea of Cortez taken there), followed by the Oasis Hotel... The Playas de Loreto (later became part of the La Pinta chain) and The Mision were probably next built not long before 1973... Pavement from La Paz to Santa Rosalia arrived in '72, and that was probably key to new hotel construction. The ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia began in '72.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Wingnut
Nomad

Mood: Baja Pensive

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 03:05 PM

Cabo Ron, is that Solomon's Landing where the time share blonde with the big chi-chi's is working? I thought they stopped that practice last year. I will be going to Cabo over Xmas and will have to check it out. If it's the same blonde I'm thinking of, she was working out of one of the fancy hotels on the Pacific side last year. Maybe change companies. If you hang out at the Tanga-Tanga, most of them make the round at some point at the end of the day. The locals try to avoid them at all costs....fun to watch.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2008 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Cabo Ron, is that Solomon's Landing where the time share blonde with the big chi-chi's is working? I thought they stopped that practice last year. I will be going to Cabo over Xmas and will have to check it out. If it's the same blonde I'm thinking of, she was working out of one of the fancy hotels on the Pacific side last year. Maybe change companies. If you hang out at the Tanga-Tanga, most of them make the round at some point at the end of the day. The locals try to avoid them at all costs....fun to watch.

It is Soloman's .....

I met some friends at the cruise dock last December and she was still working the room ....

She was pitching for a timeshare right above Mandero beach.

CaboRon

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.