Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: god save us!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 08:13 AM
god save us!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081116/news_1m16tj...

Thousands turn out to protest violence

By Omar Millán González
November 16, 2008

TIJUANA – More than 2,500 people marched yesterday afternoon through this city bludgeoned by violence, doing the only thing organizers said was left for them to do: pray.

Previous marches had demanded that authorities confront organized criminals who have carried out an unprecedented campaign of killings and kidnappings. Yesterday, the marchers carried this simple message on signs and stickers: “God Save Us.”

Meanwhile, deadly violence continued its march across the region, where authorities logged nine killings yesterday, including a 17-year-old fatally shot while riding his bicycle in Rosarito Beach.

The death toll in Tijuana alone has reached a record 627 since the beginning of the year, 84 since Nov. 1.

The demonstration started at 3 p.m. in the downtown area at Teniente Guerrero Park on Fourth Street, where about 600 people recited a rosary for those who had been killed or were missing.

A citizens group that investigates disappearances, Asociación Esperanza, estimates that 500 people have been kidnapped in Baja California this year, half of them in Tijuana.

The march was organized by a council of physicians, who are frequent targets of kidnappers.

“Our goal is to raise awareness about what is happening. We cannot take so much violence, so much impunity,” said the organization's president, Dr. José Manuel de Jesús Ortiz.

From the park, the participants walked about 90 minutes to the Rio Zone. An estimated 2,000 people joined them along the way.

They carried signs with the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe, and banner after banner with the names, dates and photos of people who had disappeared.

“We are not going to be quiet any longer,” said one marcher, Imelda López. “Before, we were afraid, but we're no longer afraid.”

López, 51, said authorities should investigate every missing-person case.

“We want to find our sons,” she said. “We don't care what condition they are in; we want to find them.”

She said her son, Pierre Meza López, 23, was kidnapped along with a friend, who was released after his family paid a ransom.

López said she was never asked for money. Her son was never found.

Another marcher, Fernando Oceguera, said authorities are simply overwhelmed. He said an armed group of men kidnapped his son Feb. 7, 2007, and he has not been seen since.

“We have reached a situation that we cannot tolerate any longer,” Oceguera said.

Just before the march ended about 4:30 p.m., the Baja California Attorney General's Office reported that nine people had been killed yesterday in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada.

At 12:15 a.m., two men were found shot to death in the Reynoso development in the La Mesa district.

A man died at Tijuana General Hospital at 1 a.m. after being shot in a billiard hall in the El Rubí neighborhood, in the southern part of the city.

At 10:20 a.m., a father and son were shot to death on a street in the Sánchez Taboada area, on the city's east side.

In Ensenada, three men were shot to death.

At 1 p.m. in Rosarito Beach, a 17-year-old was fatally shot while riding his bicycle by gunmen in a sport utility vehicle.

Back in Tijuana, steps from finishing the march, Ortiz addressed the crowd.

“We have been kidnapped in our own city. God, please save Tijuana.”

coonhound
Banned

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 08:36 AM

These poor people have been failed by the authorities and they have no where else to turn.If the americans were to be victimized by the same thugs,you would see some proactive action.Now that is a crime.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 08:36 AM

Woody, this is maybe the start of where regular neighborhood people start reporting these thugs living among them. When found and taken off the streets everything they own should be taken sold and put into a fund to assist those victims of these thugs bent on harming others. If they are living with relatives all of their stuff should also be taken and sold and put into the same vicitim fund. The only way to even start to make a dent in this problem is taking any and all assests not just from them but those in their family that have also profited by their terrrible crimes. The ordinary people standing up and not giving them the easy walk to knowingly hide among them and turning a blind eye just may be over. Let's all pray especially on this Sunday that God has also had enough and is empowering people to stand up to save their communities. My prays are with these people being subjected to this and with a new President coming in on January 20th maybe we can also do some other things to help Mexico, as a neighbor we do not want Mexico falling into disarray as Venzuela has. They are our friends and we need to treat them as such and give assistance as requested and needed by their leaders. Mexico leaders know what their problems are and we need to maybe work with them giving those that identify and assist in taking these Cartel thugs down a means to live without fear of being killed for doing the right thing. Our witness protection agency knows how to make people disappear and have a life that makes them happy and not punished. Later-----bajafun777
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081116/news_1m16tj...

Thousands turn out to protest violence

By Omar Millán González
November 16, 2008

In Ensenada, three men were shot to death.

I just spoke with a friend that lives in Ensenada and she said that to her knowledge no one was shot in Ensenada as was reported, however, 3 were shot to death in El Rosario...

Seems kinda far south for the drug cartels, but what do I know?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 09:16 AM

When did the Mexican people loose the right to bear arms ??

CaboRon

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 09:21 AM

Yes, the local papers confirm 3 men shot and killed in El Rosario, in the restaurant La Mijita. The restaurant owner was seriously injured.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 09:33 AM

I drove through downtown TJ Friday night around 9 PM while taking a friend back to the border. Compared to a Friday night five years ago I'd guess the number of people on the sidewalks is down 75%. Traffic was very light. Northbound border traffic was extremely light.

The citizens are fearful. Fearful enough, possibly, to embrace a dusk to dawn curfew. I don't know if that would help in getting things under control but I'd be happy to see it.

Over the past couple of years I've noticed many more police. Many of the squad cars are new and the motorcycle cops have new motorcycles. Uniformed cops appear to be carrying much more equipment on their belts. The city is trying to get rid of the old school crooked cops with criminal connections and they are spending money on modern equipment. The military and federal police presence is obvious and they are heavily armed.

Whack a mole.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Yes, the local papers confirm 3 men shot and killed in El Rosario, in the restaurant La Mijita. The restaurant owner was seriously injured.

what? can you provide a link? or relate the article?

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:22 AM

authorities logged nine killings yesterday, including a 17-year-old fatally shot while riding his bicycle in Rosarito Beach.

So now the children can't even ride bikes around Rosartio safely any more

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:40 AM

thanks to bajabound2005 and the Gman for the quick response.

the world just shrank. our dear friend :saint:Elsa:saint:, the owner of La Mijita in el rosario was shot and is currently in a hospital in San Quintin. please give a quick prayer for her full recovery.

when is mexico gonna come to it's senses and stamp out these punks?

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:42 AM

The only thing we don't know is whether or not the 17-year-old was an innocent, or was somehow involved with the bad guys... The cartel doesn't care about the ages any more... even 2 year old kids are being killed...
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:54 AM

Quote:

One point I was making in my above post is that the Government is attempting to "stamp out these punks".

Come to its senses? What does that mean? If you have a solution, let us know.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 11:02 AM
The Fickle Finger of Fate

Quote:
Previous marches had demanded that authorities confront organized criminals who have carried out an unprecedented campaign of killings and kidnappings. Yesterday, the marchers carried this simple message on signs and stickers: “God Save Us.”

Children,

I won't save the thousands of babies who die daily from starvation and I won't save you either. Get off your knees and physically confront the elected officials who have abandoned you.

Grow up.

God

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:

One point I was making in my above post is that the Government is attempting to "stamp out these punks".

Come to its senses? What does that mean? If you have a solution, let us know.

i'm not smart enough to figure that one out.

i'm too busy praying for my friend......

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Children,

I won't save the thousands of babies who die daily from starvation and I won't save you either. Get off your knees and physically confront the elected officials who have abandoned you.

Grow up.

God

Dear god,
Hope you got the letter,
And I pray you can make it better down here.
I dont mean a big reduction in the price of beer,
But all the people that you made in your image,
See them starving on their feet,
cause they dont get enough to eat

From god,
I cant believe in you.

Dear god,
Sorry to disturb you,
But I feel that I should be heard loud and clear.
We all need a big reduction in amount of tears,
And all the people that you made in your image,
See them fighting in the street,
cause they cant make opinions meet,
About god,
I cant believe in you.

Did you make disease, and the diamond blue?
Did you make mankind after we made you?
And the devil too!

Dear god,
Dont know if you noticed,
But your name is on a lot of quotes in this book.
Us crazy humans wrote it, you should take a look,
And all the people that you made in your image,
Still believing that junk is true.
Well I know it aint and so do you,
Dear god,
I cant believe in,
I dont believe in,

I wont believe in heaven and hell.
No saints, no sinners,
No devil as well.
No pearly gates, no thorny crown.
Youre always letting us humans down.
The wars you bring, the babes you drown.
Those lost at sea and never found,
And its the same the whole world round.
The hurt I see helps to compound,
That the father, son and holy ghost,
Is just somebodys unholy hoax,
And if youre up there youll perceive,
That my hearts here upon my sleeve.
If theres one thing I dont believe in...

Its you,
Dear god.

[Edited on 11-16-2008 by woody in ob]

burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 01:07 PM

Nothing like a fairy tale to make you feel better. Maybe mommy will kiss your boo boo.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
thanks to bajabound2005 and the Gman for the quick response.

the world just shrank. our dear friend :saint:Elsa:saint:, the owner of La Mijita in el rosario was shot and is currently in a hospital in San Quintin. please give a quick prayer for her full recovery.

Our thoughts are with your friend and her family. We hope she fully recovers quickly.

Diane

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 04:52 PM

woody in ob...

I too hope and pray for your friend Elsa. May she have a speedy and full recovery. Also hoping the perps that committed this travesty are captured and prosecuted to the fullest extent of Mexican law (whatever that is).
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 07:11 PM

I was there in El Rosario yesterday right after this happened and we were told that two masked gun men walked into La Mijita and opened fire with automatic guns on 3 men sitting down at a table. One of the men is supposedly a known drug, gun, etc dealer in town and the other two were from GN. They said a lady working there was shot as well and was taken to the hospital. Apparently there was a get away truck outside with a driver. The military and police found the truck nearby with the weapons, but hadn't found the persons involved yet. VERY SCARY and I feel terrible for all the good people in that town. You could tell they were terrified and really shaken up.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-16-2008 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Woody, this is maybe the start of where regular neighborhood people start reporting these thugs living among them. When found and taken off the streets everything they own should be taken sold and put into a fund to assist those victims of these thugs bent on harming others. If they are living with relatives all of their stuff should also be taken and sold and put into the same vicitim fund. The only way to even start to make a dent in this problem is taking any and all assests not just from them but those in their family that have also profited by their terrrible crimes. The ordinary people standing up and not giving them the easy walk to knowingly hide among them and turning a blind eye just may be over. Let's all pray especially on this Sunday that God has also had enough and is empowering people to stand up to save their communities. My prays are with these people being subjected to this and with a new President coming in on January 20th maybe we can also do some other things to help Mexico, as a neighbor we do not want Mexico falling into disarray as Venzuela has. They are our friends and we need to treat them as such and give assistance as requested and needed by their leaders. Mexico leaders know what their problems are and we need to maybe work with them giving those that identify and assist in taking these Cartel thugs down a means to live without fear of being killed for doing the right thing. Our witness protection agency knows how to make people disappear and have a life that makes them happy and not punished. Later-----bajafun777

Agree with most all you say. These punks are not living in dorms with each other. They go home each night to loved ones who HAVE TO START TURNING THEM IN. GIVE THEM NO QUARTER.

I dont, however, think this new US president will assign interdiction of drugs in Mexico any kind of priority; quite the contrary, really. He will have his hands full of purely domestic issues.

Even if he managed to get marijuana legalized, that's not the drug that's causing all this. And there's no way he'll get the hard stuff legalized.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.