Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Import regulations, franquicia and tourist permits
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2003 at 12:05 PM
Import regulations, franquicia and tourist permits

Could someone with specific knowledge report on import limitations and length of stay without a permit.

On the Q&A forum(bajanet) someone mentioned it is now 7 days in San Felipe without a permit. It has also been widely reported that the franquicia is $150.00 per person (adult) up to a maximum of $400.00 per vehicle. The MX government web site linked here disputes that. Please note that these allowances are for RESIDENTS of the border only. I have been challenged at the border and have won the fight because I have documentation proving I am a resident. Can anyone point to documentation (link or current law/reg) that these increased allowances apply to tourists?

Here is the link

http://www.sre.gob.mx/laredo/asf_adua.htm

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2003 at 10:02 AM

Dave -

I've kind of hesitated responding to your post because I don't have the documentation you're looking for.

But last friday I happened to be at the Mexican consul in Sacramento and I asked some general quetions about the supposed changes in tourist card requirements. They were unaware of any changes - you still need one if you're going to be in the border zone for more than 72 hours and in other areas of the Republic. You don't need one for San Felipe unless you're there more than 72 hours. In reality nobody checks in the border zones.

As far as franquicia for tourists I didn't think it applies at all. Tourists are allowed to bring in what's required for their trip and must return with all of it. Franquicia only applies to residents.

At least that's my understanding. I don't know where the changes in tourist card requierments reported here came from. I can't find anything about it on my mexican news source list.

Hope you're doing well with the knee deal.

Braulio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.