Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Fund for the family of Elsa Aguilar Gerardo "La Mijita"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 11:25 AM
Fund for the family of Elsa Aguilar Gerardo "La Mijita"

Taking the idea from Duke62 and others I would like to enlist Doug or Antonio to administer a fund that we all can donate to to help Elsa's survivors with funeral and burial costs, not to mention getting their taco shop cleaned up and back in business, if that is what they choose to do.

Maybe a paypal donation or something. I know there are many worthy causes at this time of year and times are tough for many people. So if you can find a few dollars that you can send to "our" friends, they would certainly appreciate it. Imagine how the family would feel receiving the donations from people they don't even know exist!!!

I'll U2U this thread to Doug and Antonio to see if they want to take the lead.

Thank You!

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 12:40 PM

:light: Thanks Woody for settings this up..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 01:42 PM

I'm in if it can be set up.

bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 01:52 PM

Im ready to donate. Just tell me how.
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 04:46 PM

I'm in too!...

Linda
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 07:28 PM

Hoping to hear details of how to donate soon----

Diane

bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 08:00 PM

i'm in!!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 08:01 PM

on board
jettygirl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2008 at 08:38 PM

ready and willing ... will watch for updates.
thank you ......

\" If your lucky enough to live by the sea .....
Your lucky enough\"
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 04:02 AM

Gracias, Woodie. O.B. people are the best. Perhaps we could meet at Pacific Shores to plan it out? There was a waitress there that..... Well.... I digress. :cool:

As I say when I am about to lose at poker, "I'm all in." U2U me if you want me to help you with logistics, etc. My family is willing and able to help any way we can.

p.s. My sweet, heart of a lion, 14 year-old boy stumbled upon this thread because I had left it up while I had to go do something (I think I was letting the chickens out of their coop to range), and he is wondering what he can do. Should he have a stand outside a grocery store? Convince the the school to do a fundraising by making and selling tamales? Gives ya a bit of hope for the next generation, no?

p.p.s. We will be out of contact as of Tuesday, through the following Monday, as we will be at our place south of Erendira for Thanksgiving.

p.p.p.s. This should be the subject of a different thread but our Weber grilled turkey is perfection. It has taken many consultations with friends over Tecates and tequila, but I have the best barbequed turkey recipe in the world. Si, es la verdad. Not gloating, but, gourmets and coyotes alike come from miles around, just to be invited to sit down in front of that beauitiful yardbird. A hint: The key is the orange slices and spices I put into the turkey's cavity, which is attuned to the butter/spice/orange essence that is pushed under the skin, and which, after four to five hours on the Weber, infuses the meat with, well, just that.

p.p.p.p.s We will also hopefully have bags of clothes and toys for the field workers down there on Turkey Day. Baja Geoff can attest to the conditions los indios de Chiapas y Oaxaca (most of whom don't even speak Spanish, only the language of their Aztec ancestors) endure in their jail facitilities they call "farmworker housing." The razor wire on top of the 10 foot high fences the Jefes working for Dole say is to protect them from "bandidos." In reality, however, it is to prevent them from leaving. :(
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 07:12 AM

so far Doug is willing to lead the effort as far as collecting the donations. he is working on it and will post when he has some time.

Happy Holidays to ya-alls!!!!

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 07:39 AM

Thanks Woody and Doug... we're standing by to make our contributions!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 08:05 AM

Standing by...

Thanks for running point Woody, and Doug for logistics.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 03:48 PM

count on us~~~
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 09:48 PM
Elsa's funeral...

My friends... I truly admire your good willing and great heart... I feel touched by your noble and unselfish sentiments.

This tragedy did not only deeply affected Elsa's family... the whole town is also in shock... this is the first time ever something like this has ever happened in El Rosario.

Getting back to Elsa... her family struggled several days to recover her body in Tijuana... after she died, last Wednesday, she was taken to the coroner and then... her whole family (husband, daughter, son... everyone in Tijuana) was taken to give declarations of the crime at the State's Crime Investigation Unit... then it was a whole bunch of paperwork and going back and forth among several governments departments to recover Elsa's body.

It was wrong... her family was deeply wounded and suffering and our outstanding bureaucrats made their best effort to complicate things as much as they could... so wrong.

Anyhow... yesterday (Saturday) ... they could finally take La Mijita to El Rosario and have her funeral... Today (Sunday) she was buried.

Her family is now not only terribly sad, but disoriented and "out of face"... stunned... you see, La Mijita was the hearth of the family, she was the spark of her family... their whole income depended on the leadership of Elsa in their small restaurant.

I would be happy to assist in anyway to have some money sent to her family... of course I will also pitch in some on behalf of BajaCactus and my family... at the least it will help them to reorganize their lives and start all over again.

Unless Doug has already started something... we can use our PayPal account and/or US bank account to receive any money... once we have something worth while, I can have it immediately transfer to El Rosario via BajaCactus.

Our PayPal account is under info*at*bajacactus.com... if you send some money there, please indicate that is for La Mijita's Family... and if you can, include a small message for their family... I will print it and forward it to their family as well.

If you prefer not to do it online, let me know via U2U and I can give you our US bank account info at the Washington Mutual (now Chase) for a direct deposit/transfer.

Also, if anyone would like to write some words for them, send them to me, I will print them and relay them to El Rosario.

If there is anything else you think I can help with, just let me know.

May God Bless us all.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 11-24-2008 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 10:20 PM

Antonio, thank you for the update. I have made a donation to the PayPal account. My condolences to the family.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 01:55 AM

Gracias, Antonio. So sad. I will try the PayPal account tomorrow

Hasta. :saint:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 08:30 AM

gracias por su apoyo amigo por esta familia...we will drop by your hotel today...perhaps you can put some kind of nice box for donations there too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 09:31 AM

Antonio,
I will make a paypal the end of the week,

my kids are coming Thurs. to help me set that up,
I also need to send $$$ to Shari for a reservation.

This whole thing is just soooooooo sad.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2008 at 09:56 AM

Help?

When I go to www.bajacactus.com it shows the site underconstruction---can't get into the info section????

Thanks
Diane

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.