Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The word BAJA and other Americanism
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 01:34 PM
jr and davidb

another good laugh. Haven't had a snow cone in years. I can still remember the look on my mom and dad's faces when that music from the snow cone truck would come down the street, way back in the 60's.

I'm thinkin of trading er for a Yurt somewhere near Todos Santos and the beach, and a year supply of XXs. Just waitin for the right offer.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-23-2004 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 02:06 PM
Randy

I'm thinkin within a little dry ice and newspaper, you might have a good thing going with that business in Todos Santos. They are all " artists" down there ya know.:lol:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 03:08 PM
What is this place called?

Here is something interesting:

http://www.oceanoasis.org/fieldguide/manynames.html

by Judy Gibson, Botany Department, SDNHM

Anyone interested in Baja California soon discovers that the same region or locality may be called by different names at different times, by different people, or on different maps. Sometimes this reflects the languages of the speakers?Spanish, English, and indigenous Indian languages. Sometimes it's a result of historical and political changes in what certain areas are called. And sometimes it might even be a result of misspellings or mispronunciations being passed down through time.

While we've tried to be consistent within any section of this site, it hasn't been possible to choose one "authoritative" usage throughout?because even the authorities disagree! Certainly the writers of the different sections do. Below is an attempt to sort out some of the names.

The Peninsula of Baja California

In the oldest European history of the region?when most of western North America was part of the Spanish colony of Mexico, and the peninsula to the west had just been discovered and was little explored?the name "California" was applied to all of the peninsula and what is now the state of California in the United States. At some point this large region was divided into Alta (Upper) California?the continental portion which became the state of California, and Baja (Lower) California?the peninsular portion which remained as part of Mexico.

Things became more complicated when the peninsular portion was divided at the 28th parallel into a northern state called Baja California, and a southern territory, Baja California Sur?later to become a state as well. The correct name of the northern state is "Baja California," not "Baja California Norte." The easiest analogy for Americans is that it's like the names of Virginia and West Virginia. No state of East Virginia was created when Virginia was divided.

The problem, of course, is that if the northern state is called "Baja California," then what do we call the whole peninsula with two Mexican states? If a scientific report refers to "the plants of Baja California," does it mean of the whole peninsula or only half of it? And if you say "peninsula," does that include the nearby islands?

It's best to be explicit: "the State of Baja California," "the Baja California peninsula." Some prefer the old-fashioned "Lower California" as clearly referring to the peninsula and its islands, and not to the state. Incidentally, using "Baja" alone raises eyebrows as being the ungrammatical use of an adjective as if it were a noun (for example, one wouldn't refer to New York as just "New").

The Binational Geological Region

Ignoring the political boundaries, another problem is trying to find a name for the geological unit to the west of the San Andreas faultline. "Peninsular California" is one solution; somewhat less satisfactory is "greater Baja California."

The Gulf and its Islands

The body of water that separates the peninsula from mainland Mexico has two names, and both are used in both English and Spanish.

One is "Gulf of California," or "Golfo de California." The other is "Sea of Cort?s," or "Mar de Cort?s." Scholars tell us that the name of the explorer for whom the sea is named is correctly spelled with an "s" rather than a "z" (that is, "Cortez" is a historic misspelling).

It's also important to be aware that most of the islands in the Gulf have been known over the years by more than one name?so that for example, if you see a reference in different sources to a species being found only on a particular island, but the references name different islands, it may simply be that they're using two different names for the same island. The only solution to this problem is a list of synonyms.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 03:15 PM

Excellent Packoderm, thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 03:17 PM

De nada, compa.
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 05:34 PM
Good article packoderm

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 07:19 AM
We could change the names

We could change Alta and Baja California and Baja Califiornia Sur to No-Cal and So-Cal, but that would be infringing on Jim Rome's sport show language. Just a thought.
Speedy Gonzalez

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 12:14 PM
To: academicanarchist

Quote:

Originally posted by academicanarchist
Many of the Norte Americans who post here do not have a complete knowledge of Spanish, and are not a part of the academic world. Unless they are fluent in Spanish, people interested in Baja California history will look for something written in English. ( ) You are really in the wrong venue to be raising that question.

Lo siento mucho entonces... Sorry then... :no:

You somehow confirm what I was trying to say: many visitors of this forum (that discuss history) have their knowledges from US publications. Many therefore have an image of Baja California and Mexico from an US point of view which sometimes doesn't correspond to what we say, think or believe in Mexico.

Quote:

So, your point is not really valid in this venue. You can not expect Gringos who enjoy visiting Baja California because of its stark beauty to be familiar with the academic publications of Mexican historians.

Well, why shouldn't those people who write about history in this historic forum, not also have a look at Mexican publications... ? As I can see you also expect me to read your books...

Quote:

When you have read my publications on Baja California, come back and discuss again the historiography of the region.

Muchas gracias... I still have enough to read with the Mexican publications at the moment ;D

Sound like this forum about the Mexican peninsula Baja California is thought to be for US-Americans (and maybe Canadians) only... :?: I therefore leave this platform after a short presence. Have a good time all together!

Adios a todos! Que se diviertan con su foro sobre la historia de mi peninsula! Fue un placer estar con ustedes.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 01:00 PM

I don't think theres nothing wrong with calling Baja California "Baja", after all, we Mexicans are perhaps, Latin Americas leading promoters of the bad use of the Spanish Castillian language.

We refer to the U.S.A as "el otro lado", "los states","gringolandia" etc etc, so theres nothing wrong with them saying Baja.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 01:47 PM

Well, I certainly do thank Speedy G. for again giving me something to consider that really I just took for granted before. I am as guilty of cutting the California off of Baja as anyone that I know. Anyway, I expect that as much as I will always think of Don Jimmy and cringe/chuckle when I hear "The Baja", well, Speedy, you also have entered my conciseness with your concern that we stay respectfully formal when we ever we refer to Baja California. Must say that I sure have enjoyed reading all the valid perspectives that Sr. Speedy's reflection provoked, a lot of good thoughts have been presented on the subject!

My own vision on this being that the Northern states of Mexico, as well as the Southwest of E.U.A. are inhabitant by a dual citizenry reflecting the cultures of both sides of the boarder; Baja California is not exclusively Mexican culture, anymore, than Alta California is "Just the gringo way or the highway", both sides of the boarder have been influenced by this homogeny of cultures that creates new language and cultural perspectives that are indicative to the two worlds merging. When one refers to going to "Baja", or say that they live in "Baja", that is a casual perspective reflecting So-Cal slang., I see no mal intent perpetuated by this casualness.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 02:12 PM
Well, there goes another one.

Let's see if those Gringo patriots can chase off Pemex, El Rosario so that the information provided here is just to your liking rather than factual information.:lol:
Good work boys, another u.s.victory. You should be proud.:lol:
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 04:03 PM
To Eli

I would say that the international border is an artificial construct that seperates two regions that have more in common.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 04:48 PM

Speedy, don't run off because we don't all do things your way... This forum is a community. Mostly English speaking people who love Baja California (peninsula and both states). It is a learning and teaching web site. You need to be a little flexible or just take from here what you need.

You had a good arguement that El Camino Real was never the name used by the missionaries. I provided proof that the Franciscans and Dominicans did call it that, but I was willing to concede that the Jesuits did not.

You persisted that the burro trails in Baja never were Camino Reales because they didn't look like the Camino Reales in mainland Mexico. I then found evidence that indeed even the Jesuits called their roads Camino Real and provided documentation. You dismissed that evidence, too.

As friendly as I hope to be with you, you just seem very inflexible. By saying you are leaving us it is kind of like you came to our game to play, we invite you to join, then you want us to change the game to your rules...?

JR is even blaming us because you don't want to play?

Speedy, as you do not seem to understand that 'Baja' is different than the rest of Mexico, may I ask where are you from and how long have you lived in Baja?

I really hope you don't go and that everyone can benefit from our exchanges... I certainly learned more about the naming of El Camino Real, thanks to you... Heck, I even talked about you to Harry Crosby in my email to him regarding your statements. I am sure you can benefit from being here as well.

Think about it amigo,
Gracias/Thank you/ or?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 06:00 PM
Well golly DK

since you put it like that, perhaps I was a littly hasty. Sorry.
From a different perspective, The true Mexicans I know don't ever argue, dispute, whine, snivel or place themselves in a position to do so. They walk away.
Speedy I am sure was not used to this type of "conversation" and was more than likely, taken aback by it.
I hope that he realizes that it was nothing personal and comes back "aboard". I personally will miss the input from another perspective.
You really need to learn Spanish though!!:lol:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 06:17 PM
Adios (addy-yoss) Speedy

My Alta California Hispanic hermanos will be relieved to see you go, actually. It came as some surprise to me several years ago that my brown eyed brethren around here are very offended by the cartoon character "Speedy Gonzalez" > a fact that I had previously refrained from pointing out to you.
Now that this name is gone from our board, some of my boys can relax...

Baja Arriba!!
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 11:10 PM
Speedy Was Right

I agree with Speedy Gonzalez, this just really seems like an American Campo mentality here. Too bad.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 11:54 PM

JR, I do speak Spanish... maybe not fluently and not all words, but daily none the less. My assistant is from Oaxaca and won't speak English... won't even try (but I think he understands most everything). I even have been chatting (MSN chat) in Spanish with a Mexicali businessman who owns a guest ranch near Laguna Hanson... invited me to have a Viva Baja party there (sounds great to me). My computer has been down for a couple weeks... so no contact lately. I have invited him to our Matomi campout at Nuevo Mazatlan and the book signing...

Anyway, this is an English speaking discussion board for Baja California related subjects. I don't know why you think Spanish is some kind of qualifyer for posting here. Speedy Gonzalez could have been from Armenia as far as we know? Mexicans don't think that character is politically correct. They even managed to kill the Frito Bandito... "ay yai yai yai, I love Fritos corn chips I love them I do... I love them so much, I take them from you!"

Personally, I have fun speaking as much Spanish as I can while in Baja. If I can swing it, Keith Rolles has invited me to train at the Baja California Language College in Ensenada... I do want to get better. ?Quiero aprender mas!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:11 AM

As you can see on this linked posted below, I was calling it by the proper terminology even way back when.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=282
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:18 AM

Or maybe I should have called it "The peninsula consisting of the Mexican states Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur." I'll call it by that name each and every time I mention the region if you really insist; I really will.

[Edited on 11/21/2003 by Packoderm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 12:21 AM

You're a good man Packo!

So, how was turkey vulture? Any good?:lol::lol::lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.