BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Military checkpoints...
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 09:11 PM
Military checkpoints...

Military checkpoints...

Going from Tijuana to Guerrero Negro you will find the following revision points:

1.- Rosarito: going south, just before the collection tool booth in front of the AMPM. They usually check you when coming back.

2.- El Zorrillo: this is a permanent military checkpoint, about 20 minutes south of Ensenada just after leaving Maneadero. Usually they check you only when coming back from the south.

3.- Jes?s Mar?a: this is also a permanent military ckeckpoint. Going south they are located about 25 miles before Guerrero Negro.
At this checkpoint they will check you throughly both ways, they will ask for some info from you, so they can keep a record of all the vehicles that pass through that point.

To this date, these are the only checkpoint along the way, however once in a while they put 2 or 3 temporary more at different locations, specially in holidays.

There is no need to worry, as far as we have known, all the military personnal at this checkpoints are very courteous, honest and polite. They mainly look for conceale weapons and drugs.

Hope this info is usefull.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus Tourists Services
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 10:42 PM
El Rosario checkpoint

We have encountered a checkpoint on the mesa a few miles North of El Rosario.
They were very quick, but they do stop you and take a look.

Baja Arriba!!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 10:50 PM
Ckeck point at El Rosario

Yes.. you are right...

However that is a non permanent post, last week they moved them to end of town to the south.

They are supose to come back in a couple of weeks.... but you never know... they may be back sooner, or even put another one somewhere around El Rosario.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 04:17 PM
Good Information

That is good info, Baja Cactus. Thank you. Will look up your establishments as we pass south. Thanks again for your posts.
Barry
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 06:21 AM

we just got back from san jose and we counted 10 check points. we watched them closely as last time they got my gps out of the center consol.:coolup:
hyme7of9
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 09:26 AM
Checkpoints

No need to worry? Heck, they even stole my fire extingusher and an address book! Can you believe it?Watch 'em closely when they are going through your gear.I don't trust any of them.I have Mexican "friends" who are cops and ex military and I've heard the stories about how they " DESERVE " something if they want it because they are so poorly paid.Gee, i can rationalize my guilt away just like them so if you find me reaching for your GPS unit, don't worry.I'm just a little under paid like all the rest of the nurses.Adios. Hyme
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 10:51 AM
Searches

I have had my vehicle searched but never my person. Has anyone ever experienced a "frisking" or having to empty their pockets at these checkpoints? It seems it would be smart (not trying to sound condescending) to keep your wallet, leatherman, and gps in your pocket if this is the case.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 12:14 PM

I had a fed go thru my wallet at a checkpoint years ago but that's been the exception.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajapablo
I have had my vehicle searched but never my person. Has anyone ever experienced a "frisking" or having to empty their pockets at these checkpoints? It seems it would be smart (not trying to sound condescending) to keep your wallet, leatherman, and gps in your pocket if this is the case.

I believe that "technically" all these searches are illegal but it would probably be wise not to challenge them.:lol:

I've never had my person searched but have seen others being searched after something has been found in the vehicle.

trblmkr

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 08:24 PM

I just don't get out of the car. I smile, pull my skirt around my knees (if I'm wearing one) and politely decline. If I'm alone and asked to open the back of the truck, I close and lock the driver's door, open the back, stand there while they 'search' , lock it back up, get back into the drivers seat, smile and go on my way. Maybe I'm lucky.
P.<*)))><:saint:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-29-2004 at 08:11 AM
My 30-year old son...

was searched two years ago at the northbound checkpoint just south of Rosarito Beach. They asked that he empty his pockets, and confiscated a small pocket knife that could be bought anywhere in Mexico. We protested mildly, to no avail, and then went on to Rosarito where he bought a similar one at the big covered "swap meet" in town. Other than that I've never been personally searched, neither has anyone with me.

++Ken++
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2004 at 07:07 PM
Military??

At the time, as far as we know, there are only military checkpoints along the way down Baja.
Military are usually corteous and respectfull.

However, in the past, there were checkpoints with mixed personnel from the federals and the military, and sometimes even only federals.

These guys (the federals) are another thing, and sometimes they abuse even non-tourists.

So, if you ever encounter a checkpoint with non-military personnal, be on the watch out.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-30-2004 at 08:31 AM
It was definitely military....

...unless they stole the uniforms and the automatic rifles. It was just past (north) of the first toll booth south of Rosarito. They had set up in the parking area. They were not discourteous or disrespectful, but they were adamant in wanting that little pocket knife.

++Ken++

[Edited on 5-30-2004 by Ken Bondy]
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 06:55 PM

Once we where searched outside of La Paz I caught the guy eating our jelly beans! Caught him red handed he blushed so bad. BUSTED!! he let us go

Another time we where coming back and had a bunch of tennis balls we played fetch with the (drug) dog for about an half hour:spingrin: it was fun!! most of the time they ask me for playboys sheeesh like Im gona make room for that

All that wonder are not lost
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 02:22 PM

It took me awhile to figure out how to get a photo under 50kb, but I believe this one qualifies for this site.

Anyway, thought you might get a kick out of this very friendly checkpoint exchange.

I don't try to be a bad influence. Sometimes it just happens.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 02:44 PM
About 15 years ago...

we are in a 5 car caravan headed to San Felipe. I was in the lead. We were about 10 miles north of town, when we saw something odd in the road - smudge pots!

I SLAMMED on the breaks and damn near ran over El Jefe. He looked at me with one of those "hey you a$$hole, what are you doing". I gave him a "what are you doing standing in the middle of the road" look.

Keep in mind that this was the very first time I had ever seen a check point - ever. On top of that, it was dusk, and difficult to see. Plus, there was no advance signage like there is today.

Anyhow, I got out of the car and showed them the goods - including a cooler with 3 dead beers in it. He didn't seem to care about those (thankfully), but wanted to know if we had any guns (of course not).

They opened the passengers side door and asked my wife to get out. Not a chance! She flat out refused to get out of the truck (she gets a little nervous in Mexico).

The guy then asked her to open the glove box - no problem. Then he asked her to lean the bench seat forward. When she did that, an empty beer bottle went "clink, clink, clinking" its way to the floor - OOPS!

No worries - they waived us through, along with the rest of the crew...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.