BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Food for Thought: Channel 4 news Los Angeles: Child labor in Baja Fields
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 04:00 AM
Food for Thought: Channel 4 news Los Angeles: Child labor in Baja Fields

http://www.nbc4.tv/team4reports/3329151/detail.html

My brother called me up on this. He saw it and he knew I was having a hard time selling my cucumber crop this season because of a flooded cucumber market due to cheap Mexican cucumbers selling for as little as $2.00 for a 25 pound box landed in Los Angeles.

While this expose singles out one operation, there are over a dozen huge growing operations in the San Quintin area where they could have found similiar conditions in exisitence.

I know all about this and I, as many others who have spent anytime in this industry and in Baja also know many of these large growers are also in the game of "lavando billetes". They left that part out though, sadly.

I had several conversations this past month with Whole Foods. They couldn't buy any quantities of my certified organic, California grown cucumbers because they were selling imported cucumbers from Pinos and other Baja growers at high prices and making a great profit! They were paying 10 cents for each cucumbers and selling them for abput a buck!
This from a "leader" in marketing of healthy, organic, green products. Right!

In the end I lost half of my spring crop, about 250,000 pounds of or 3,6000,000 cucumbers because I was unable to sell them at a price I could afford to even pick! NAFTA SHAFT

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear about the cukes Don....its a nasty world out there and corporate America seems willing to sell its soul these days to make a buck........on the bright side, I've been down to your store several times this season and I've got to tell you your strawberries are the best I've had in at least 20 years---they are incredible!! Keep up the good work, one of these days I'll catch you when your not out working in the field.
To anybody in the Orange County area: Dons fruit stand is at the corner of Del Avion and Alipaz in San Juan Capistrano and its a great place to buy organic fruit and vegies that taste unbelievable!!!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 11:39 AM
I think the parents of these children should be punished as well

sad situation and it is probably still happening. child labor is all too common in Mexico despite el ley federal del trabajo
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2004 at 07:21 PM
Free trade

Mexico is trying to limit child labour and it has been investing more in education, basic health and vaccines during past years. Still much more has to be done no doubts.
But one of the best way to limit child labour ten years from now is through export and through domestic economic development.

Sorry but it is a tough world out there and if Mexico does a good job in agriculture it is just good for both US and Mexico because Mexico still buy more US products than anybody else in the world.

Mexico needs to export in order to grow and create better salaries for their workers.

All developed countries like US, Europe and Japan subsidise their agriculture and this limit growth in poor countries and increase illegal immigration.
In example Domestic sugar in US cost twice than in Brazil because of tariffs.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 08:43 AM
Picking Friut

I feel your pain Don Jorge.
Several years ago Calavo came out to pick my dad's small 2.5 acre grove of avocados in San Juan Capistrano. They picked the largest poundage they had ever picked before (50,000 pounds!). By the time they deducted their picking, hauling and advertising costs, we got a BILL for $750! :fire:
I don't know how anyone can even afford to be a farmer in California anymore.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.