tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 03:38 PM
Gabacho vs. Gringo

Are there differences in meaning between a "Gabacho" and a "Gringo" :?:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 03:49 PM

Gabacho means rancher, Gringo could be either Gabacho or Capitain i.e. rancher or yachtee, but there are only those two choices, officially speaking of course. Other sub-classes include surfer or racer those though fall into Capitain and Gabacho respectively. Know it, live it, love it and play the part.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 03:52 PM

Locals in Baja use the two terms equally...

estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 08:21 PM

I always understood that the term Gabacho was aimed more at europeans and Gringo for Norte Americanos. Also the way I have seen the word used Gabacho is less derogatory than Gringo which can be used in a negative way...
Esteban

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by estebanis]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 08:29 PM

If you talk to the locals in Baja they will tell you that they interchange the terms equally. I just asked an entire house full here sharing a BBQ and they all agreed 100% that there is no difference in the terms.

Any slander/disrespect intended is based in the person using the term and not part of the term itself. You need to remember that this is a culture that calls people as they see them; flaco, gordo, chaparro, guero, negro, viejo. None of these terms in themselves are meant to be disrespectful anymore than gavacho or gringo.

We have become too PC north of the border - a condition that has yet to be picked up on this side of the border...

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 08:39 PM

Last week I renewed my visa and beautiful agent Maria started to give me a hard time, then I decided to simply agree with whatever she said which seemed to work well, she continued with her questions and the standard FM2-3 form for a new book, she asked, Gabacho o Capitain, Christian o Catolica, Black or Brown eyes? I replied, Gabacho, Black eyes, Catolica! as she checked the boxes on the form. Then Stamp, stamp, stamp! Bien Voy a casarme con ella.

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by gnukid]
estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
You need to remember that this is a culture that calls people as they see them; flaco, gordo, chaparro, guero, negro, viejo.

That is sooo true. Some of the nicknames in the ejido I hang in are Feo(my landlords Lifelong name),Chango(he does look a bit like a primate),La Mala(my pal who has been ill for too long) and Bola(my amigo with a Huge Goiter on his neck).
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2008 at 10:31 PM

I keep dreaming some woman will see me and call me guapo...

:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 06:23 AM

Not exclusive to Baja, it occurs to me that the custom of nicknaming for physical or perceived distinctions is practiced around the globe.

A Mexican guy I know is called ..'Diamante' ... diamond...because of his popularity with women.

A Norsk guy I know is called .. 'Jorun'...sword to love...because of his popularity with women.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 06:32 AM

BajaGringo... what about guapedo:o:o

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:15 AM

OUr little poll reveals the same as el guapo, bajagringo...they use them interchangeably and is NOT offensive....just true...it is what it is!
I love the nicknames in baja...it is much easier to remember people...and useful and there are ALOT of Jose's, Juan's etc.
Some local ones here for mexicans...gringo(a guy that looks like one), velero(who is tall like a mast of a sailboat), filipino(who is mexican), surdo (left handed), gato, lobo, juan vaso(who always has a drink in his hand), etc. etc....
But what's funny are the names they give gringos here...usually they name them after someone they look like in town or a famous person...usually becase they cant remember their names so when they refer to them..all their buddies know who they are talking about...cracks me up.

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:24 AM

My uncle had the nick-name of 'Tripod Harry' - as an 8-year-old I caused quite a stir one Thankgsgiving dinner when I asked how he got that nickname. My mom choked and my aunt got real red.

Hey Shari - what to the locals call Zak? el corredor?

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by Santiago]

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:32 AM

This is all very interesting. Why do you suppose the Mexican people don't get offended by the nick names given them? Down the street we have a man who goes by the name negro. I always have trouble calling his name because I find it offensive but it's the only name we were given! Then there are the names men use for their wives like gorda, flaka, gueda, piernuda, to name a few. When my dad was young he was known as moloton (he had alot of hair) now he is called pelon because he is bald!

Just wondering

•Life is just one damned thing after another
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 07:38 AM

We have a family friend with a nickname of "Chulo" but he far from handsome.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:30 AM

Lingigiggli...it took me many years to overcome my PC values and accept that the mexican way was better...call it like it is and dont be embarrassed. Mexican people really dont "judge" others like we do/did...they just are what they are how they are...we are all different...not better or worse. It doesnt matter what you look like but what is in your heart that matters..the outside is just a package. Also because there are few names and lots of people...it is easier to identify someone by their physical attributes..that way everyone knows who you are talking about.
It does take getting used to...relearning...realizing that words are NOT offensive if they arent meant to be. I can now easily call my amigos negro, gordo, pelon etc....

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 08:40 AM

Shari:

I'm working on it!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:24 AM

You hit the nail squarely on the head Shari - Rubia Chula!!!

:yes::yes::yes:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:02 AM

In the pueblo a few people have asked us about using the word gringo---since we use it all the time -- if we or others find it offensive or not. We tell them that to us, it is how it is used and how it is being said----attitude, not the word.

They were somewhat surprised because they thought that just the word was offensive to many.

We are careful with some nicknames because we have found that some people have been given nicknames they don't like---like filipino. Everyone calls him filipino, but he does not really like that nickname, so we call him by his given name. The same with indio. But if we are referring to them to someone else, they don't know about whom we are speaking unless we use the nickname. Doesn't hurt to ask.

In Honduras, nicknames were common also, and to be called something like gordo or gordita was not offensive.

However, the students all had animal nicknames given to them, like caballo for one with a big nose, vaca for a bigger girl, pollo, etc. They all used the nicknames for each other, but it was NOT ok for someone else to use those names---

so, we are careful. If someone uses their nickname when we are introduced, we are likely to use it, but if they use their given name, we use that until they say otherwise.

Just our experience with gringo and nicknames.

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by jdtrotter]

estebanis
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:30 AM

Well said, I have asked several of the folks if they are offended so far most just shrug and say "It is what it is". I do know that you don't call Chango, Chango in front of his wife Maria de los angeles! A mexican friend made that mistake at changos house when looking for him and got chewed out by her...
Esteban
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:53 AM

I guess I'll just have to go with the nickname I've been tagged with.

El_Guapo.jpg - 34kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.