Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ITALIAN TOURIST FOUND
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:44 AM
ITALIAN TOURIST FOUND

Yesterday searchers found the skeletal remains of Antonio Giardella an Italian tourist who disappeared five months ago. They found him 6 kilometros east of the cave paintings of Cataviña Baja California. An autopsy is scheduled to determine the cause and manner of death.

SOURCE: http://www.elvigia.net/noticias/?seccion=generales&id=48...

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:46 AM

that's crazy!!!why would he be EAST? what's out there???

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by woody in ob]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

-------he must have gotten 180 degree disoriented, or else he did it on purpose as a last farewell (????)

----it is strange to be walking "east".

Barry
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:05 AM

Sounds to me like he got lost. That area in July can get very hot and heat exhaustion probably set in. Sad story...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 10:09 AM

Sad, very sad. We saw the poster in Catavina last time through and wondered if they ever found him.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 03:55 PM

For those who have not been to the painted cave near Cataviña, you can see Hwy. 1 from it... and hear the trucks on it... no way did he not know how to get back to Hwy. 1 from it.... The arroyo goes downhill/ downstream from the foot of the hill with the cave to the Hwy. 1 palm arroyo crossing... if he didn't take the shorter direct route.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if this is the Italian Bicyclist that was missing?

•Life is just one damned thing after another
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
For those who have not been to the painted cave near Cataviña, you can see Hwy. 1 from it... and hear the trucks on it... no way did he not know how to get back to Hwy. 1 from it.... The arroyo goes downhill/ downstream from the foot of the hill with the cave to the Hwy. 1 palm arroyo crossing... if he didn't take the shorter direct route.

actually, it would be easy to get lost at Catavina. lots of "caves" and rock art sites are found there besides the tourist stop you refer to, DK. easy to hike many kilometers to exploring the desert at catavina. and if you hike 6 K from highway and break your leg, knock your head, have a health problem, or lose your bearings - you wouldn't hear hwy, nor would anyone hear you screaming or see your signal fire.

sad to hear about it, but seems to be a relatively good way/place to go to nirvana of ever after, expiring in the wilderness, watching the stars overhead.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

the desert is out there. some people like it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 04:44 PM

Note the location of Hwy. 1... then scroll east the 6 kms. where he was found, using your mouse (also can zoom in or out with roller on mouse).

Painted Cave near Cataviña, from space

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 04:50 PM

Interesting is if you go 6 kms. east, you are here:6 kms. east of painted cave

Right on the road between Santa Ynez and Mision Santa Maria... ? Just a couple miles from the ranch!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 02:12 PM

Si, in July - very hot. If he went hiking in the arroyo you would lose your way unless you hike back the very same way. He may have tried to take a shortcut out of the arroyo and went the wrong way. Or the arroyo can get choked with mesquite and forces you take a detour - all those palms all look the same. Or maybe just stayed out too long and got dizzy from the heat and just didn't have the stamina to find his way out. I've been in similar circumstances - had 2 quarts of water for a one hour trip in 95 degree heat. Ran out of water in 1/2 hour, lost my map, and found it on the trail where I lost it because I hiked IN A CIRCLE. Had to hike from shade tree to shade tree - my heart was pumping wildly due to the heat. I can understand how this happened.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Interesting is if you go 6 kms. east, you are here:6 kms. east of painted cave

Right on the road between Santa Ynez and Mision Santa Maria... ? Just a couple miles from the ranch!

That area is full of rattlesnakes. Maybe that's what got him.

[Edited on 12-13-2008 by toneart]

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 03:36 PM
Additional information

http://www.elvigia.net/noticias/?seccion=generales&id=48...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2008 at 03:49 PM
Google Translation of article

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
http://www.elvigia.net/noticias/?seccion=generales&id=48...

Found intact belongings Italian tourist died
Andres Perales, Cesar Cordova / THE VALLEY

The backpack that brought Antonio Giardella along with their skeletal remains.
El Vigia
2008-12-09 00:00:00
San Quentin B.C. - Watered by several points of the stream "Horses in the delegation of Cataviña, they found the skeletal remains of the Italian tourist Antonio Giardella, after five months remain missing, their belongings were untouched next to a rock.

Details of the Attorney General of the State (PGJE) in San Quintin, concerns that the foreign possibly died from dehydration due to high temperatures happened the seventh day of July, when they were allegedly lost, ranging to 45 degrees centigrade.

The remains were found last Monday at about 22 kilometers from Cataviña, in a rocky area at the East of the cave paintings, 550 kilometers south of the city of Ensenada.

To locate the corpse Simona Giardella, sister of the deceased, hired eight cowboys in the area, who are paid 300 pesos a day.

After three days of search crawlers found skeletal remains, though in doing so noted that missing limbs and skull, which were located at various points downstream

They also found a backpack green white stripe, and inside it were a case for glasses, a change of clothes, sunscreen and a camera with his sleeve, used to capture landscapes during the expedition.

Sources from the PGJE and elements of Expert Services who came to the place of discovery, possibly indicated that the limbs were torn by scavengers of the place, like coyotes and birds.

The skull of the Italian was in the bed of the stream and no signs of violence, even still had scalp, which will serve to practice DNA tests to confirm their identification.

Later the remains moved to the facilities of the Forensic Medical Service (Semefo), where they were turned over to the authorities.

The PGJE 1821/308/306 began the preliminary investigation for manslaughter, to rule out the possibility that she has been murdered.

Simona Giardella kept the memory of the camera, which he submitted to the authorities to know what his brother took pictures, and if they match the place where he was found.

Research lines

Lidia Aguilar Gallegos, deputy justice Ensenada area, reported that the remains were found 15 kilometers of road Transpeninsular, heading to the Gulf of California.

He said that there are two lines of investigation: the first is that not resist high temperatures and the second that could have been a victim of a venomous animal bite, which caused him to death.

"These are the two scenarios we have, and it may be that in both cases (now deceased) was disoriented and was attacked and dragged by the fauna of the place ... has no clothes torn, only themselves to the passage of time, and has no limbs, which suggests that an animal devoured it, "he concluded.

Miette
Junior Nomad

Mood: Yo soy contenta

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 12:24 PM

My condolences to his family and friends.

I always mourn the loss of a fellow adventurer, as I feel a certain amount of kinship with people that enjoy hiking.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 01:37 PM

Six kilometers isn't that far from the highway. You could wait until dark and walk those miles. The lights of Catavina would guide you. Something else probably happened. Or else, he hiked a lot more than 4 miles but came within 4 miles of safety.

It's very sad. The desert is unforgiving.

Recently year a hiker died of heat in death valley on those dunes within eyesight of stovepipe wells. That couple had nowhere to hide from the sun and the heat radiating from that sand in july must be incredible.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-11-2008 at 04:42 PM

The article that David K posted suggested the possibility of a snake bite. I suggested that before the article was posted.

I hike that area and it is full of rattlesnakes. I don't let my dog run free there. The owners of Santa Inez Ranch lost a dog to a rattlesnake bite. She has a photo on the fridge inside the kitchen. She showed it to me when she saw my dog Paco,because Paco looks just like her deceased dog.

Another reason why you should use the buddy system when trekking or boating or diving, or these days....even driving. This is advice I sometimes violate because, if no one else is available, I will go anyway, with Paco. An adventure is not to be missed. The unfortunate Italian apparently experienced the ultimate adventure.

Sad! But stuff happens. :(

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 06:09 AM

Article mentions the body being 15 KILOMETERS from the highway. Very easy to get lost at that distance.

bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 08:32 PM

No comment yet on lingililingili's post about whether it was the Italian bicyclist or not. I also wondered the same thing when I first read the post.

Any info about that?

Bajaboolie
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.