Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Surfing trip to Baja Dec 27th to Jan 12th
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 02:07 PM
Surfing trip to Baja Dec 27th to Jan 12th

Hi there,
Going on a surfing trip December 27th to January 12th. We'll be driving straight to El Rosario and starting our trip from there (going south). Any good winter breaks? We have a good off road vehicle and are willing to go anywhere. Also interested in finding travel partners (caravan). From what I have read is a little safer to travel in groups.
Paolo
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 06:07 PM

Sounds like your trip may coincide with mine for a short time, only I'll be leaving on Sunday instead of Saturday. I'll be heading to El Rosario and then south to the coast as you've mentioned, but I'll be returning just after new years. If you'd like to try to hook up for a few days, I'd be happy to tag along with you. I'm planning on taking a road that's not on any maps just yet, so there may be a bit of adventure.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 06:18 PM

A bit of adventure is always fun. That's why we go to Baja... What breaks are you planning to surf? If it works out would love to join efforts and see how lost we can get.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 06:56 PM

Well, I never really plan too much... sort of decide when I get there. But somewhere along the 7 sisters area. We'll have to exchange info and see if it works out to meet down there somewhere.

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
marchesi

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 07:35 PM

Seven Sisters areas is also what I had in mind for that first part of the trip. I was curious to see Punta Canoas but I don't know how much of a commitment that would be. Is it hours or would it take a whole day to get there? I was told The Wall is a great winter break and Alexandro. But that's all I know... We will probably stop somewhere before El Rosario on Saturday (since we are driving from Montana and will need a break). It might work out perfect if you leave on Sunday. Is there a way to reply directly to your e-mail address on this forum to exchange contact info?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-15-2008 at 08:32 PM

use the U2U function at the top right of the page.

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 08:51 AM

Marchesi,

I sent you a u2u. You'll see it there in the upper right hand corner of this page, like woody said.

Time to get to Canoas depends on which way you go. I've been there, and actaully pulled a buggy trailer all the way in, so it's not that bad of a journey. If you're just poking along and enjoying the sights, it's a few hours. That's pretty much the name of the game for anywhere along that stretch of coastline. There are roads, but they meander and are not generally taken care of and graded, with the exception of the road to San Carlos at the north end, and the road to the wall, Santa Rosalillita and Tres Alejandros to the south. You can bet that you'll find people in all of those areas at this time of the year. The central part of the seven sisters area will be somewhat less traveled, but the road has been graded quite a ways north towards Bahia Blanca, so it's not exactly the hard to get to spot that it once was.

Someone replied to your fishing question thread that there may be wind. I'd advise to prepare for it. It can howl offshore down there... to the point where it isn't even worth the paddle out. I think they also said to beware if it rains. That's a good warning.

If it works that we'll be able to connect, that would be great. If you're not dead set on getting into Baja on Saturday, you're welcome to crash at my place on your way south.

edit: spelling

[Edited on 12-16-2008 by bajaandy]

JBL Noel
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-16-2008 at 12:53 PM
WIND????

did someone say WIND?

100_1303 (Small).jpg - 48kB

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2008 at 07:12 PM

There is a nice point right out of El Rosario Punta Baja. Good right's on a good swell. And don't pass by Cabo San Quintin, great waves way out on the point.

[Edited on 12-20-2008 by 805gregg]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 08:19 AM

Our local surf club are having a fun tournement here over the holidays...and camp out at Los Chorros. I will post the date when they decide...sirenita will be organizing things and she arrives tonight...it will be really fun with some prizes and surf lessons for kids too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 04:55 PM

Punta Canoas can be epic IF you hit when it is firing.
Hope you have a sand worthy 4x4 to make it to end of Cabo San Quintin. If not, be sure to bring a shovel or two.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2008 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
Hope you have a sand worthy 4x4 to make it to end of Cabo San Quintin. If not, be sure to bring a shovel or two.

Be very careful, even with a 4x4 making it to the end of Cabo San Quintin is dicey at best...LOTS OF SOFT SPOTS. Your heading towards El Rosario, check to see what El Socorro looks like. It will take 5 mins to check. Kelly and and his sons said it was happening last week....only thing he said their boards were a bit small for the waves. If it ain't going press on.

Kelly's website. They're locals, and they surf

http://www.km-fishing.com/

[Edited on 12-22-2008 by TonyC]
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2008 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve

I drove out there with a 3000# Lance camper on the back of my 1 ton 4x4 Dodge. Soft but not too bad.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2008 at 09:48 AM

whoa...surf is going off here this morning...rainbows and surf...nice hangover cure for the big christmas day lobster dance party...whew.

marchesi

[*] posted on 12-26-2008 at 03:44 PM

Great to hear the surf is going off! We are making very, very slow progress driving down from Montana. Nasty roads!
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
did someone say WIND?

Poised in the slot Big guy.
NICE :biggrin:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 07:36 PM

what a difference a day makes....today was flat calm...NO wind...and 85 degrees....real hot...spent awhile lying on the hot sand in my bikini....(the one bajagypsy left me with the skulls on it) saweeeeeet

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.