Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: deer Killer???
dug
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 08:32 PM
deer Killer???

Sunday a man in Valle de La Trinidad told me of a scorpion-like animal called a "deer killer" that was dangerous/fatal to humans.

Can anybody give more info on this?
Thanks
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 5-25-2004 at 11:16 PM
It's a Drink that would pretty much kill anything!

Deer Killer

2 shots Vodka
1 pint Firewater
4 tblsp Tabasco Sauce
1 splash Butterscotch Schnapps
10 oz Wild Turkey
6 oz Jack Daniels
30 shots Jagermeister

It would sure do me in, at any rate!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
sin nombre
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 07:41 AM

....yeah, kind of looks like a cross between a potato bug and a scorpion, but it has long legs in front, and a double set of jaws. The largest one I ever saw was about 4" long. We usually see them come out in the warmer weather. They can run like the wind. known here as, "Mata Venados".
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 08:47 AM
Deer killer

Also know as a Camel Spider in Iraq
or a Wind Scorpion in the US.
In Mexico they are called Matavenados - deer killer, deer slayer. They have what appears to be 10 leggs, huge jaws and are very ugly :o, hopefully the picture will attach. My mom found a 2" one in her sleeping bag in the San Pedro Martir, so they can aslo take cold weather too.

From the web:
Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions) grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH); and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting.

[Edited on 5-26-2004 by Baja Taco]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 10:28 AM

Repost of Baja Taco's image below.

"Although they look ferocious and have a powerful bite, they are harmless ? for humans at least. Despite the name and appearance, camel spiders are actually solifugids which, unlike spiders, do not have venom or silk glands. They prey on spiders, scorpions, insects, small vertebrates and other solifugids. Usually nocturnal, they sometimes come out in the day but will seek out shadows, even if the shadow is cast by a human. If the person moves, the solifugid follows the shadow, which gives the impression it is giving pursuit. It?s easy enough to get that impression, particularly as camel spiders can move at speeds of up to 16km/h."

[Edited on 5-26-2004 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 11:21 AM

I guess my lighthearted joke was considered in poor taste and deleted?

mexrays response seems kinda silly just hanging there all by it's lonesome.

heee heeeeheeee

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 05:46 PM

While in Todos a couple of months ago, the young couple who ran the fruit stand had a young dog (4-6 mts). He appeared very healthy and one day was no longer there. When we questioned them they said he had been bitten by a bug and died several hours later.(even though our spanish is limited they drew a picture!) Could this be so? Would it be this bug?:?:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 07:10 PM

Mexicans also know them by "ni?os de la tierra" or children of the earth, and are considered far more dangerous than scorpions.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 07:52 PM
ni?o de la tierra

The ni?o de la tierra is the Jerusalem cricket commonly known as a "potato bug". While it is carnivorous and has a nasty set of mandibles on its large head, it is not dangerous. It will bite and draw blood but carries no poison. The matavenado is usually a wind scorpion as indicated by previous posters.

See: http://www.calacademy.org/science_now/archive/where_in_the_w...
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 10:32 AM
Matavenados

are not poisonous, just have a painful bite/pinch, probably like a crab.
The puppy could have been stung by a real scorpion or a bitten by a vibora de cascabel, either of which has the potential to kill it.
:(

[Edited on 5-27-2004 by Taco de Baja]
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 12:55 PM
matavenado

In La Paz, some people also give this name to a cocoa-brown spider shaped rather like a black widow (a roundish body elevated above the legs), except it's larger. One of these got inside a boot and bit my foot (right through a sock), and the wound developed into a nasty-looking sore that looked like a tiny volcano crater. This didn't heal for nearly three months, during which I tried out all the different remedies people recommended. None of them gave any immediate results but I guess all of them worked, since it eventually dried up.

I looked for this one in a book about spiders, and it fit the description of a "brown recluse."

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 01:20 PM

I agree, sure sounds like a brown recluse. I have seen these wounds on friends in AZ, nasty and take forever to heal.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 05:04 PM

Well, wouldn’t you know it, I have yet another version of Matavenado; It is kind of long, black, flat and tear shaped, tiny head, with a red strip on the back bug. I think they are also called Chin Chi (so sorry on the spelling) or Assassin Bug, oh and they are a true nasty little bug. They are called Matavenado because deer hosts them, also cattle, most likely any warm-blooded creature will suit them fine I expect. As a bloodsucker, they can leave a mean welt, also carry a type of fever or or it might be that one can get sick from an infection due to the bugs nasty little bite. Yes, I have had bouts with them, euuuuuuuuuh, nasty!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 5-28-2004 at 08:28 PM

but did not the OP state that is was a scorpion-like animal...could this be another chupacabra story?deer killer,goat sucker,is there really a differance?
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 07:46 AM
sounds like the chupavenado

distant cousin to chupacabras (not to be confused with the chupacabron)

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.