Author: Subject: Tres Virgenes in La Paz
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
A Mexican took over.

Oh, the horror! A Mexican, of all things! In La Paz! :O:

Oh, excuse me!!! I should have said: A Mexican who is thinking he can take over a restaurant which is running good, and that makes him a good cook! :lol::lol::lol: Like many Mexicans who think they can do everything by just looking ad skilled technicians (or cooks) and immitating those skilled persons. That`s a Mexican illness!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 04:55 PM

Tres Virgines was a wonderful restaurant with divine food.
The original location on the corner of Madero and Constitucion.
the partner dispute killed it
the revival across the street?
been there a few times - can't find the right words for it
my airbnb guest sometimes mention it - can't repeat their reviews

Harald Pietschmann
winwinstudios

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 09:09 PM

Went there last night with my family, thought we were going to support a Nomad. We ordered the Rib Eye, New York steak, and a pizza. The mashed potatoes with the gravy on the side were pretty good, as were the vegetables. The steaks were cooked to the right temp (medium rare), but it was the quality of the meats that were lacking. Our meal including a creme brulee and a glass of merlot cost 1900 pesos, kinda steep for those of cuts of meat.

There are two, magnificent mango trees in the courtyard where we sat.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by winwinstudios  
Went there last night with my family, thought we were going to support a Nomad. We ordered the Rib Eye, New York steak, and a pizza. The mashed potatoes with the gravy on the side were pretty good, as were the vegetables. The steaks were cooked to the right temp (medium rare), but it was the quality of the meats that were lacking. Our meal including a creme brulee and a glass of merlot cost 1900 pesos, kinda steep for those of cuts of meat.

There are two, magnificent mango trees in the courtyard where we sat.

Are mango trees a compansation for overpriced bad food ????????????
I would prefer good tasting, perfectly cooked food instead of looking at a tree.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 11:02 AM

4x4 When did it change hands?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

The website says Jesse and two others (one is his brother) are the owners: https://www.lastresvirgenes.com/nuestra-vision

>>> Since 2005 operated by Chef / owner Jesús Chávez, Pedro Chávez, and Geoffrey Lujan, the restaurant is located in the historic center of La Paz, in a colonial-style mansion originally built in 1895 and remodeled into a restaurant in 2005, mansion that saw the birth of the first governor of Baja California Sur, Ángel Cesar Mendoza Aramburo. The original concept was to offer the experience of dining by the light of the moon in a South Californian house, with its grill and wood oven, and Baja California wines.

Tres Vírgenes has been since its opening, a mandatory benchmark of the gastronomy of the region, achieving recognition from several of the best national and international newspapers, as well as excellent ratings by TripAdvisor, Facebook, Restaurantguru, Slurpy, Google, Yelp, as well as to be continuously considered one of the 100 best restaurants in Mexico.

Our kitchen is a pioneer in the art of cooking with firewood, we use fresh and seasonal ingredients, fresh seafood from the Pacific and the sea, organic vegetables from the Pescadero and Miraflores farms, and the best in Sonoran and American meats. Our wine list is focused on more artisanal national wines, however we have a small selection of great wines from the world.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

don't remember the exact years
first restaurant was started by an Italian "Aldo" and a Mexican partner
early 2000's
Aldo was pushed out
restaurant went downhill and closed
reopened a couple of years later across the street

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:22 PM

Didn't Aldo die while scuba diving, a single father? I recall it was specially traumatic because of his young children with no relatives in La Paz.

EDIT:

Post reply on 12-16-2010 (the original news post was removed):
Quote: Originally posted by JESSE  
Well i am also surprised and shocked about the news. Even do our business togheter did not last, there was never any personal issues betwen us as he was a calm, hard working, smart, family man. Just a day before his dive, i ran into him in the supermarket and as usual, we looked at each other and aknowledge each other with a nod and smile. I am frankly concerned about the kids, loosing one parent is a big thing in a childs life, but loosing two in such a short time is very difficult.

My prayers go to him and his family.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:30 PM

The 2006 review of the restaurant (then owned by Jesse and Aldo): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21056

Jesse and Aldo Salato announce the new restaurant on Nov. 25, 2006: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21053

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:53 PM

Aldo was one of the few good ones in town
he had some strong years
then his wife died of cancer
he went to Italy for the funeral
his partner used absence to oust him
shortly after he died while spearfishing

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The website says Jesse and two others ....blah blah blah

An out of date owner's view....:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
JESSE2

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 07:53 PM

Its been years since Ive been here, and like life, the years change faces change, but there's always some ass***** talking out of their a**.

Yes i am still the owner of 3V
Yes we have struggled this past year but we have weathered the pandemic very well.
No aldo did not build the restaurant, he was my capital partner
Yes I did all the work including coming up with the name
Yes me and aldo had a falling out, but i am not going to talk chit about a dead man, all i can say is that a third party ruined our partnership.
Yes after everything that happened, we still said hi to each other every time we met.
Yes quality and consistency have been difficult to maintain during this past year (if you only knew the stuff i have done to keep the ship afloat), but so do all the other restaurants in town.
No, aldo never ran the restaurant, never had anything to do with decor, menu, or any operational work, he handled all the financial stuff.
After i left his location, he opened his own restaurant
I went across the street, and started with nothing, we have 8 straight years getting a certificate of excellence from trip advisor, we made the list of the top 100 mexican restaurants more than a few times, and we have been featured over and over again by the foreign and mexican media as one of the top restaurants in baja sur, etc etc

My ex partner Aldo was a great guy, we liked each other, we worked well together, but he had personal problems that affected me financially, so the relationship didnt work.

This whole past year, i have been pretty much abstent from the kitchen, i am 48, hypertensive, slightly overweight, and my blood sugar aint so good, so yes i am afraid to get covid and havent cooked in a long time. But fortunately, in about 2 weeks i get my second shot, and 15 days after that i am ready to get back in the saddle.

Hi to all the old timers that are still here, and a big f to all the usual trolls and haters and wackos who come and go with the years.

Be safe guys!!! peace!!!

(tried logging in with my old account, but man, its been like 15 years, i dont remember my password.

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JESSE2]
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:01 PM

So good to hear from you Jesse from this old timer. Take care of yourself and glad to hear you're getting "back in the saddle".
JESSE2

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
So good to hear from you Jesse from this old timer. Take care of yourself and glad to hear you're getting "back in the saddle".

Good to see you around Jack, saludos amigo!!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:08 PM

JESSE2, I don't get down town much, but I love spending time near La Paz! The next time I am down there, I intend to check out your restaurant!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:27 PM

Thanks for responding tonight, amigo. Good to see you on Nomad once again.
Keep doing what you do and you will overcome the hiccups of business.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.