Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quail hunting
paul-sf

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 06:20 PM
Quail hunting

Hi,

Does anyone have experience hunting quail within a few hours of the border? My hunting buddy and i have the wknd of January 10 open and had the idea of doing a last minute hunt if such a thing were possible.

Any info would be much appreciated. I've contacted the Arturo from BajaHunting.com, but I haven't heard back and I'm looking to have as many options as possible.

thanks!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 06:42 PM

Go to Ensenada and head west. Lots of good hunting there.

Iflyfish
paul-sf

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Go to Ensenada and head west. Lots of good hunting there.

Iflyfish

"West of ensenada"... Hey, I love to fish as much as anyone, but for this trip, I'm looking for recommendations for upland guide services.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-sf
Hi,

Does anyone have experience hunting quail within a few hours of the border? My hunting buddy and i have the wknd of January 10 open and had the idea of doing a last minute hunt if such a thing were possible.

Any info would be much appreciated. I've contacted the Arturo from BajaHunting.com, but I haven't heard back and I'm looking to have as many options as possible.

thanks!

Lots of good quail hunts further south all the way down to Rosario. Still good east of Ensenada in the farming regions.
The covey sizes are down a bit this year in the northern border Baja regions, Mexicali, etc... and the outfitters there are not offering many hunts.

This guy knows his stuff, can introduce you to all the local outfitters....and will put you on the birds:

Jeffery Bird
President
E-Mail: jeff@sportingfield.com
Phone: (503) 625-9301

The mainland offers much better quail hunts, if you can find the time inquiire with Oscar Santandar in Navahoa. If I find his number I will post it here. He offers all inclusive hunts for quail, dove, ducks, javelina, desert muleys, etc.

Good hunting.

[Edited on 12-31-2008 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 11:32 PM

paul-sf

Sorry, I like birds.

Iflyfish
paul-sf

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 01:33 AM

Pompano, thanks for the tip. I'll give Jeffery a call in the morning. The mainland hunt sounds really good as well. I'm still discovering great hunting experiences locally, so I haven't targeted the long distance hunts yet but I'm sure that time will come.

Iflyfish, I like birds too.... it's the hunter's paradox.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

This guy knows his stuff, can introduce you to all the local outfitters....and will put you on the birds:

Jeffery Bird
President

Good hunting.

Pomp: you make this stuff up, right?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 07:01 AM

Santiago....yup. The sunrises, too.

http://www.bajashooting.com/
http://www.wonews.com/t-HuntingReport-JimNiemiec-wonhuntsmex...
http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1097
http://wingshootingdestinations.com/Wingshooting/Internation...

[Edited on 12-31-2008 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
paul-sf

[*] posted on 12-30-2008 at 11:47 PM

Does anyone have any experience with this guide service out of Mexicali? Owned by Erik Muller.
http://www.bajashooting.com/
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 03:22 PM

I meet Eric at the awards ceremony for the CODE Race Ready 275 in San felipe a few weeks ago. Alfonso from CODE is doing this business with him. I thought they told me the season ended Dec 28th, but we were talking about phesant. I'm good friends with Alfonso and can help you out if needed. Please let me know.

Paul

Here is some contact info.
(01152)686.563.6280
(011521)686.569.2794
760)890.4182
Nextel 125*133765*10

[Edited on 12-31-2008 by tunaeater]
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2008 at 03:42 PM

You have till the middle of January for quail. Drove around the San Quintin area Nov., and saw lots of big coveys. Compared to last season, which was real sucky. I have a friend from Campo de Lorenzo hunting there....think he got there last week. Hope to get one or two days in before the season ends. Doug's been hunting there for years, and knows the area. I'm pretty much a newbie down there. 2005-2006, 2006-2007 season got me hooked....never in my life have I ever seen a covey with so many birds.....or so many coveys. Lots of doves also. Not sure on the season for dove (white wing, and morning).

[Edited on 12-31-2008 by TonyC]
paul-sf

[*] posted on 1-1-2009 at 10:56 PM

Great info guys, it's much appreciated.

Pompano, Thanks for sharing those pictures, looks like some good times over the years. I left a message but haven't heard back from Jeffrey Bird.

Tunaeater, I spoke with Erik's nephew on the phone the other day and I'm considering going with them for the weekend's hunt.

Tony, I've emailed with Lorenzo from Campo Lorenzo, and that sounds ideal but I don't think I can make it that far by car. I've been trying to line up a rideshare with a private plane, but haven't been able to firm anything up.

Anyway, the $450/day per hunter that I'm hearing is pretty steep for a no frills quail hunt.
paul-sf

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 10:48 AM

Has anyone hunted with Carlos Mancilla out of Mexicali?
Thanks,
Paul
paul-sf

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:09 PM

My friends and I had a great time hunting with Carlos. Got into 12-15 coveys of gambel quail and all the dove you could want both days. Other groups were getting their 4 rooster limits in San Luis. I wish i'd known the season in that state went this late. next year...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 12:01 AM

Iflyfish- Me too. Yuck.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 10:54 AM

Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Give us the details of the hunt. Did you use their guns,accomodations, prices. So Sonora has a longer hunting season ? That is good to know since San Luis is so close.
paul-sf

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 12:59 PM

Tunaeater,
We borrowed the guns (1yo 1187s) and stayed at the Lucerna. With all told, we spent about $150/day on the guides, guns, shells, and permits. It wasn't fancy hunting by any means, but we had a great time and will be doing it a lot in future seasons. The guides and other hunters were great folks, and we learned that it's really easy to pull off a trip like that. PM me if you'd like more info.

Bajahowodd, Iflyfish. If you guys don't care for bird hunting, why read a topic called "Quail Hunting" and post snide comments? If you'd like to discuss the ethics of hunting vs. eating meat vs. fishing vs. catch and release fishing, I'm all for wading into that topic in a separate thread :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.