Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja's best 2004
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 5-26-2004 at 07:21 PM
Baja's best 2004

O.k. folks, lets get our minds off the daily war on terror-i hate my job-the traffick is lowsy mentality for a while, heres a list of questions related to Baja, offer your candidate for that position and try to explain why you think that city, business, or area is the best in Baja.

1.-Bajas best weather

2.-Bajas friendliest people

3.-Bajas top sunset

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city

5.-Bajas most corrupt Police department

6.-Bajas most affordable place

7.-Top Taco stand (Carne Asada)

8.-Top Taco stand (Fish Taco)

9.-Top Beer

10.-Bajas must see sight

11.-Top place to avoid

12.-Bajas best fishing

13.-Top diving and snorkeling

14.-Best place to retire or live happy

And finally

15.-Top beach

Let loose people!!!!!

[Edited on 5-27-2004 by JESSE]

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 07:41 PM

Heres my votes:

1.-Bajas best weather THE TIJUANA ENSENADA CORRIDOR.

2.-Bajas friendliest people LA PAZ

3.-Bajas top sunset LORETO

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city LA PAZ-TIJUANA

5.-Bajas most corrupt Police department CABO, honorary mention goes to TIJUANA

6.-Bajas most affordable place LORETO

7.-Top Taco stand (Carne Asada) EL FRANCES (TIJUANA)

8.-Top Taco stand (Fish Taco) EL GUERO (PLAYAS DE TIJUANA)

9.-Top Beer BOHEMIA

10.-Bajas must see sight SIERRA DE LA GIGANTA

11.-Top place to avoid TIJUANA

12.-Bajas best fishing EAST CAPE

13.-Top diving and snorkeling CABO PULMO

14.-Best place to retire or live happy TODOS SANTOS

And finally

15.-Top beach SANTA MARIA BAY

rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 09:50 PM
Great Idea Jesse!

Some people are getting way too serious around this board. Being a Baja newbie, I have limited insights, yet I REALLY look forward to finding out the answers to those questions.

1.-Bajas best weather -Los Cabos

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city Dirty-Tijuana

9. Top Beer -Corona

10.-Bajas must see sight -Los Arcos

11.-Top place to avoid -Tijuana

15.-Top beach- Playa Chileno

[Edited on 5-27-2004 by rogerj1]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 09:58 PM
good positive thread, Jesse

Must see- Catavina, no place on earth like it!

Best beer- Negra Modelo, no question

Place to avoid- Cabo San Lucas (if you live in NorCal go to the Santa Cruz boardwalk, SoCal, go to Venice, it is all the same, tacky tacky tacky)

Baja Arriba!!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2004 at 10:41 PM

1.-Bajas best weather - Cabo San Lucas or Todos Santos.

2.-Bajas friendliest people - Hard to say, it's all relative. Met them all over. Meeting somebody friendly in a mean place sometimes counts for more.

3.-Bajas top sunset - The best one I saw was while driving between San Felipe and Ensenada.

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city - Cleanest? Hard to say; maybe tourist area in Cabo San Lucas. Dirtiest would have to be TJ toward the airport; My wife couldn't believe all of the trash on the hillsides along the road leading to the free-road.

5.-Bajas most corrupt Police department - I haven't ran into any problems, but I make sure I drive like a nun while in TJ. I sometimes feel sorry for all those people backed up behind me when I am the only one interested in obeying the speed limit.

6.-Bajas most affordable place - Playa La Perla when I already have plenty of supplies.

7.-Top Taco stand (Carne Asada) - A cart in front of a furniture manufacturing plant in Ensenada.

8.-Top Taco stand (Fish Taco) Maybe not the very best tacos, but I enjoy the fish market in Ensenada.

9.-Top Beer - When I drink in quantity - Pacifico. When I am only going to have a few - Negra Modelo.

10.-Bajas must see sight - The sunset while kicking back in a palapa on the Cortez side while winding down for the day. Also Catavina for sure.

11.-Top place to avoid - Any jail-cell.

12.-Bajas best fishing - Bottom fishing near Camp Gecko.

13.-Top diving and snorkeling - Cabo Pulmo.

14.-Best place to retire or live happy - On a large, fancy yacht with plenty of money not to worry about buying gas.

And finally

15.-Top beach - On the island across from Playa Los Cocos at Bahia Concepcion.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 04:36 AM

Good Post Jesse:

1. Loreto{Near the Beach}

2. All of Baja{Except Cabo}

3.Sunrise over the Isla Of Carmen{From the front porch of Rancho Sonrisa}

4.SugarLand Texas---South Central L.A.

5.All Police Depts. Equal

6.Most Affordable-La Paz

7.Taco Stand"Albatross" on Jalisco in La Paz.

8 Bismark 2 on the Malacon La Paz{fish}

9.Beer-Carte Blanc {with cap twist-off in the bottom of the Bottle]

10. Must see-Isla Delefonsa during April.

11. Cabo

12. Best fishing-Small Rock Island 40 miles south of Loreto.

13. Same as Above!

14.Best Place to Retire--Tambabechi

15.Small Beach on Isla Catalina near all the Lobster

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 10:06 AM

.-Bajas best weather: Cabo in the winter

2.-Bajas friendliest people: everywhere...the in-laws in La Paz, the fishermen on the beaches in Cabo, the lady selling tamales in TJ, etc.

3.-Bajas top sunset : from the Pez Gato sunset cruise, looking back towards the arch

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city: before or after it rains?

5.-Bajas most corrupt Police department : TJ

6.-Bajas most affordable place : Los Cangrejos in CSL

7.-Top Taco stand (Carne Asada) : Los Huicholes in 4 de marzo CSL (papas rellenos over the tacos, though)

We used to live around the corner from Los Frances and I was never overly impressed with their tacos...always a crowd, though!

8.-Top Taco stand (Fish Taco) : I'll agree with El Guerro, but the truck/trailer, not the restaurant.

Hey Jesse, have you tried the Pollo Enjamonado down in that same neighborhood? Very good food, and great people!

9.-Top Beer : Pacifico

10.-Bajas must see sight : the ranchos and mangoes in the hills between CSL and San Jose, (El Sauzal...or something like that!)

11.-Top place to avoid : downtown TJ

12.-Bajas best fishing: CSL of course

13.-Top diving and snorkeling : I'm not a diver, but it's decent at Chileno and Santa Maria (nothing like the Caribbean, though)

14.-Best place to retire or live happy: for me it would be CSL

And finally

15.-Top beach : too many to name! I do prefer Chileno to Santa Maria, though, Playa de Amor is nice, too!

I'm a little on the Cabo slant, much to the chagrin of many of you, I'm sure...summer is almost here! H.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 02:45 PM

1.-Bajas best weather:

If you mean lots of sunny days, not too hot in Summer, not too cold in Winter... then the nod may go to Cabo San Lucas.

Of course the moderate climate of the northwest coastal area is very appealing in Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Quintin, etc. That's why San Diego's overflowing with transplants from elsewhere in the U.S. (well, one of the reasons).

And sometimes "good" weather is that which puts you in awe of it, and sometimes its power. It gets the heart pumping and the blood flowing. Travel to Baja California has a lot to do (at least for me) with what I experience each time, and sometimes the memory is often the weather itself... whether it's a thunderstorm in the desert, or fog in Ensenada.

2.-Bajas friendliest people:

Hmmm.... how about the people in small communities, such as mountain ranchos and fish camps along the coast, who have little, but would give you the last shirt off their back if you were in need.

3.-Bajas top sunset:

D'Giorgio's II, overlooking Lands End.... or the malecon in La Paz...

(I loved Tucker's sunset pic from La Paz the other night)

HEY.... where's the question asking about best sunRISE? I love those sunrises over the Cortez. :yes:

4.-Bajas cleanest and dirtiest city:

I'd say maybe Tijuana for both actually...

5.-Bajas most corrupt Police department:

Tijuana

6.-Bajas most affordable place:

I'd think either La Paz or Mexicali (?). Not certain about the latter though... just a guess.

7.-Top Taco stand (Carne Asada):

No opinion.

8.-Top Taco stand (Fish Taco):

Either Super Tacos de Baja California in La Paz, or better yet (!!!), Taqueria Pepe's in Santa Rosalia.

9.-Top Beer:

Whichever damn one seems to fit my mood at the time.... or, lacking a choice, whichever one is coldest in the cooler at the moment.

10.-Bajas must see sight:

The Gray whales @ San Ignacio Lagoon.

11.-Top place to avoid:

Avenida Revolucion, Tijuana

12.-Bajas best fishing

No opinion.

13.-Top diving and snorkeling

Best diving: La Paz.
Best snorkeling:
A. Los Isolotes (off La Paz) is fun with the sea lions and caves.
B. Cabo Pulmo can be fun.
C. For Los Cabos, I actually prefer the area near Pelican Rock, somewhat near Playa del Amor... but Chileno and Santa Maria are okay... I just hate the crowds though. Santa Maria's worse of the two for that (at least in the middle of the day).
D. Bahia de los Angeles area!!! :yes:

14.-Best place to retire or live happy

I'll let you know when I figure it out (then again, maybe not!!!)... but La Paz is looking awful good right now.

And finally

15.-Top beach:

Too many for various reasons. I won't elaborate further. You'll have to figure it out for yourself:

- Punta Peque?a.
- Bahia Remedios (area).
- Punta Arena de la Ventana.
- Playa Balandra.
- Ensenada Grande (Isla Partida).
- Playa Coyote (Bahia Concepcion).
- Playa San Pedrito (before they prohibited camping).

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 03:09 PM

Skeet,

Carta Blanca is also an old time favorite, good choice.

Heather,

I didnt know you lived in Playas, where exactly? and yes, i have tried Pollos enjamonados.

Doug,

I am second guessing my choice for top sunset, the view from Di Giorgios is top choice, i have always said i would love to get married at that place.

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2004 at 03:16 PM
Doug.......

I posted a sunrise picture a couple years ago....I'll see if I can find it!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-30-2004 at 05:18 PM
I have opinions on these...

3. Top sunset - La Paz (consistently)

9. Top beer - Pacifico

10. Must see sight - topside: the gray whales in Laguna San Ignacio; underwater: schooling hammerheads at Las Animas and El Bajo.

13. Best diving - Las Animas, pinnacles just north of Isla San Jose. Best snorkeling - the reef in front of Hotel Punta Pescadero.

15. Top beach - Sea of Cortez side - Punta San Francisquito; Pacific side - the one in front of the La Pinta in San Quintin.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 03:12 AM

7. Yaqui Taco

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 08:14 AM
Ken

Los Animas is the Location I listed as being 50 miles south of Loreto.
For Divers and Fisherman, to me the Best of The Sea of Cortez. There is a Marked difference in "Baja Lovers" and "Sea of Cortez Lovers" Even the Sunsets over San Javier or different from the Sea.

It is interesting to note , since the enception of the Amigos Board,Dougs
Board that there are a lot more Visitors to Baja Sur.

Skeet/Loreto

" In God I Trust"
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 08:58 AM
Skeet, I think we're talking about the same place...

I dug out an old CH-22. The Las Animas I am talking about is a tiny "islote" of pinnacles about a quarter mile off the extreme north end of Isla San Jose. It is 72 statute miles southeast of the Loreto VOR (which is on the airport) on a heading of 135 degrees. Its coordinates are roughly 25 degrees 6 minutes North and 111 degrees 17 minutes West. Like its name implies ("The Spirits") it is a magical place underwater, the best I have ever seen after about 500 dives in the Sea of Cortez.
++Ken++
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:09 AM

3. Catavi?a in winter

10. Whales

11. Speed trap on hwy 1 :biggrin:

15. Playa Punta Mezquitito

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:49 AM

1. South of San Felipe

2. Everyone. But, specially on a dirt road.... the farther from 'civilization', the friendlier the people.

3. Bahia San Luis Gonzaga has spectacular sunsets.

4. 'City'?: I am not wild about any city in any country... La Paz for clean and Mexicali for dirty... But they all have both characters.

5. I have had more mordita stops in Tijuana, but Ensenada is a close second (both are 'cities'!).

6. Camping, wherever that is... very affordable. Of a place that is affordable, I would vote for Gypsy's/Wet Buzzard (Rancho Cielito Lindo). $1 burritos, $1 beer, $5 camping. Camp Gecko is also very reasonable at $3/pp.

7. & 8. China's (say: chee- nah) just north of Las Hamacas, Bahia de los Angeles (in front of the store with Internet and long distance phones). All tacos great... on Sunday she has beef birria to die for!

9. No question, it's PACIFICO (y nada mas).

10. TOUGH ONE... I offer two: for most vehicles: Cactus garden on the road to Montevideo (off the San Borja road. For heavy duty 4WD: Mision Santa Maria (the place is magic).

11. The northbound border wait! Well, I wish I could avoid it (and never leave Baja)!

12. Best surf fishing: (croaker) is/was at 'Variety Beach' which is the coast north of Moro Santo Domingo/ Laguna Manuela. Best trolling: off Puerto Escondido (Dorado). Best bottom fishing: from Castro's Camp, Ej. Erendira/ Pta. San Isidro.

13. Snorkling at Nopolo (before the hotel was built) and feeding the fish from my hands stands out in my mind (1973).

14. Here's where Mike Humfreville and I think alike: Bahia de los Angeles.

15. Shell Island (my name for the barrier sand island between Percebu and Santa Maria. Other great Baja beaches include Punta San Francisquito, Gonzaga Bay, and Elias Calles (so. of Todos Santos).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 04:01 PM

Ken; That is the Place!!!

I thought for many years that the Isla Delelfonsa off of San Nicolas was great until going to Las Animas.It is unbeliveable.
I snorkeled, Fished there many times never seeing another Panga. The yellowfin will Jump in your boat they are so thick and hungry,

Skeet
Carol
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 08:54 PM
Best Baja Sunset

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
3. Catavi?a in winter

I'd totally second this. Unbelieveable with the silhouettes of the Cactus and Boulders.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.