Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help on info, Paddling out of Mulege
EnseNADAslim
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:04 AM
Help on info, Paddling out of Mulege

Anyone ever paddle out of Mulege, or that general area?
Looking for ideas, tips, put in's, camping areas...
THanks
Slim
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:15 AM

EnseNADAslim, Yep, many times, went north along coast for a few miles. It's all desert, no houses, only one road in just north of the first point. Punta Preita? Guess you can camp anywhere up that way.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 11:22 AM

Slim, I haven't paddled in the Bahia Concepcioin. But have taken my boat for a tour several times around the shore line. My thought is that you couldn't find a nicer place to kayak. Some of the others that live on the bay will give you more specific info. Carry a VHF radio and listen to the locals concerns about the wind. You'll definetely have a great time.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:01 PM

Slim- You can camp/launch @ many places in the Mulege area. I would suggest starting out somewhere in Bahia Conception and kayaking out to the many islands. Some of them have great beaches to camp on. Another way would start out of Mulege and paddle south to CBay. That can keep you busy for days. After that you can paddle around Punta Conception south to Loreto which would take several more days (about 75 miles).
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2009 at 12:39 PM

What's your destination? If you're looking for tips, ideas, put-ins, and camping areas, I have a feeling you're unprepared for a multi-day trip. Please do your research. Don't go to any islands unless you know how far they are and how long it will take you to get there (know your paddling capabilities). You do not want to be 1/2 mile from an island in 8 ft. breaking swells with a headwind because you thought it looked close enough. Generally, start paddling at first light, stop by 1 pm - before the wind comes up. Stay out of currents.
Plenty of empty beach south of Mulege.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 11:21 AM

Good information. One of these days I hope to get involved in Kayaking Baja. For the most part I kayak the Colorado River near Yuma.
Baja Discover in San Diego on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. sells a book devoted to Kayaking with satalite photos and gps points. It appears to be a good book.

bacquito
EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
What's your destination?

Not too sure yet, mainly meaning I don't know if we'll stick to the coast or head to the Islands. Or, we might do a series of Day Paddles in preps for a much longer venture and we're used to 6-10 miles a day. I've got some reading material that will help us decide, plus the good tips we're getting here. We're used to Off-Shore paddling and we've paddled up and down the west coast, yes, including the "Red Triangle". Our more calm and pleasure paddles are down the Black Canyon that sits below hover dam.

I know you can paddle everywhere, but nothing is as surprising or catch you off guard as the Winds in the Sea of Cortez, for sure nothing to take lightly. We've gone out for day paddles in Bahia de Los Angeles and packed for emergency over night stays just in case. Funny how you can only be a mile or so from the main land, but winds and swells can stand ya out on them islands.

Thanks everyone for the Great Advice.
Slim :bounce:

BTW,,,anyone ever drop into Ensenada to Kayak? Let us know, we'd love some company. We're off to the Blow Hole to paddle this very moment!
dougf69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2009 at 11:52 PM

bacquito..check u2u
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 11:11 AM

"...anyone ever drop into Ensenada to Kayak?"
I've launched from the blow hole and paddled over to Islas de Todos Santos. Due to the current you have to go north and then start paddling west over to the island. On a calm day, it's a nice paddle. When you get close to the island you hear the roar of the high surf and there are swells - pretty scary.
I've launched at Punta Salispuedas for whale watching. There's a route that the fish camp uses to get past the rocks and swells. Time it just right when the surf isn't too high and frequent, to get out past the surf. If you get dumped, the fishermen will help out (IF they're still there - this area might have been put off limits now for development).
BTW, we paddled out about 2 miles to see whales and didn't see a one - the next morning they were coming by in twos and threes about 100 yards off shore!!
I've paddled all over Estero bay - a nice afternoon, with an afternoon beer at the restaurant.
I've paddled at San Quintin, launching from the Old Mill - extreme tidal fluctuations - we WALKED back in!! But interesting paddle out to the point.
Lots to see from a yak in Baja.
EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 10:55 PM

Nice post, thanks wilderone. The Big Island is a some day hopeful for us so maybe some day. Funny you mentioned whales because we paddled out of La Jolla the other day and paddle right into a small herd just about 200 yards south of the two ship wrecks. It was pretty cool to say the least.
We were going to paddle out of La Bufadora, but they wanted $10.00 just to park by the ramp, they would not even let us drop off our Yaks and park somewhere else----$10.00!!!

They have done lots or road work that goes around the point of the big Radio tower mtn. and there are even areas that have benches for vista points. Looks like someday soon it will all be for drive in camping,,,,,which means another dumping ground for the locals trash----Wonderful! Can't wait for he liter to come to a once quiet and beautiful spot.

We are going to start gearing up for our Mulege trip that will take place late in February and we're going to take Russ' idea and get a hand held VHF radio, and we also might be a hand help GPS. Can't wait! Thank you all for your kindly advice.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 11:56 PM

Slim,

Check out my website -- grahammackintosh.com -- and look at the "Marooned" page where I've posted Chapter 42 "Nuts and Humboldts of Safe Baja Kayaking" from my new book.

I was out on Guardian Angel Island for two months with a Cobra sit-on-top... chapter not altogether serious... but might give you a few ideas.

Graham

EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 04:44 PM

2 Months!! Outrageous! How cool does that look. Looks like a very interesting book to read while I sit on the beach and do nothing in my afternoons. We only plan on being out and about for 3-4 days.
Last time we were in BOLA we wondered what it would be like to paddle that Island. What is that like a 10 paddle just to the Island?
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:09 PM

Actually, the early chapters of my book discuss a bunch of boating tragedies and kayak fatalities in the LA Bay area and Sea of Cortez, so no way was I going to tempt the capricious west wind and paddle out to GA Island on a slow sit-on-top.

Besides I had 50 gallons of water and 30 cans of beer and two months of supplies to carry. My kayak was for coastal exploration only.

The photo shows my Cobra Tandem and gear being ferried out to Humbug Bay by panga. Smith Island in background.

I discuss the experiences of several kayakers who did paddle to the island including a Canadian from B.C. It was a windy day when he had to return. I climbed a mountain with my Marine VHF radio ready to relay a message if he got into trouble. It took him, a very fit and experienced paddler, about 5-6 hours to cover the 15 miles to Smith Island.

Have a wonderful adventure.

Graham

[Edited on 1-23-2009 by Graham]

TO GAI.jpg - 48kB

lovebahia22

biggrin.gif posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:25 PM
panga

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Actually, the early chapters of my book discuss a bunch of boating tragedies and kayak fatalities in the LA Bay area and Sea of Cortez, so no way was I going to tempt the capricious west wind and paddle out to GA Island on a slow sit-on-top.

Besides I had 50 gallons of water and 30 cans of beer and two months of supplies to carry. My kayak was for coastal exploration only.

The photo shows my Cobra Tandem and gear being ferried out to Humbug Bay by panga. Smith Island in background.

I discuss the experiences of several kayakers who did paddle to the island including a Canadian from B.C. It was a windy day when he had to return. I climbed a mountain with my Marine VHF radio ready to relay a message if he got into trouble. It took him, a very fit and experienced paddler, about 5-6 hours to cover the 15 miles to Smith Island.

Have a wonderful adventure.

Graham

[Edited on 1-23-2009 by Graham]

basillo!!!!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 07:30 PM

Yes Basilio.

He came highly recommended by Tony Resendiz at Campo Archelon.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 11:16 AM

I launched at Loreto and made first night's camp at the same place that Graham camped. Even with stopping at Isla Danzante for an hour, we made it by 2 pm. There may be a little chop, but it doesn't hold you back. PS: that would be the course: south along the coast to Danzante then, a short hop to the punta.
PPS: Next day, started out early from the punta to Isla Monserrate - glassy sea - got there by 10:30 am.
ahhhh - the memories
Patches

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 10:01 AM

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner Slim. All your kayaking questions can be answered in the book "The Guide to Baja Sea Kayaking." It can be found on Amazon or by going to Paddlepublishing.com There's also a Facebook page for Paddle Publishing and a discussion room with Baja trip reports on it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 11:13 AM

Slim...the kayak run from Conception Bay to Aqua Verde and points south has been done countless times. About every two-three weeks from November to end of April a contingent of 10-20 kayaks set forth.

There are numerous campsites along the Baja SOC coastline south of Mulege. You will have no problems whatsoever.

For up to date info on these routes, campsites..check out NOLS websites. National Outdoor Leadership School...good environmentalist neighbors of mine, whom I sold land to many years ago, so they could enlarge their Baja operations. When it comes to Cortez kayaking, nobody has more knowledge and experience.

http://www.nols.edu/courses/locations/mexico/bajasailing.sht...

http://www.nols.edu/courses/locations/mexico/bajakayaking.sh...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.