BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good hikes in North/Central baja?
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 12:16 PM
Good hikes in North/Central baja?

So I am interested in doing a little hiking/camping/backpacking in baja while the weather is still cool(er). I have looked on line and for books but can't find anything to substantial. Most of what I find are tours and that's not really what I am looking for. If anyone could point me in the direction of some good references I'd appreciate it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 12:19 PM

an amigo of mine walked from guerrero negro to near turtle bay and was a spectacular beach hike...there is a really nice hike from Asuncion to San Roque...along the coastine and some gorgeous remote beaches.only 3 hours instead of 3 days. Or try hiking in the sierra de san fransisco...excellent...or from mission to mission which was a days horse ride.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 12:38 PM

If you want to backpack and not carry water and be in remote areas without ranches and people, then you got to go to the mountains. Laguna Hansen is close to US, but not worth the bother -- is about the same as the Lagunas in San Diego County.
For spectacular hiking, you need to head to San Pedro Martir national park. 5 or 6 hour drive from San Diego. Snow is probable thru April. April, May and June are best months to go, later in summer is nice, but you have to deal with almost daily thunderstorms that will scare you away from climbing high peaks.
Get Jerry Schaad's map of SPM (still in print, google it up). The trails are very long, remote and poorly marked (difficult) -- so you will need navigation skills. But the difficulty of the trails means you will have the trails all to yourself.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 07:22 PM

Any of the canyons on the east side of the Sierras are great for exploring and usually have water somewhere in them. Consider getting some Mexican topos first though--they can be confusing to find.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 09:16 PM
Hiking and...

There is a readily available small book by John W. Robinson title is "Camping and Climbing in Baja" La Siesta Press 1967 and later editions.

Just do an Amazon.com search and there are plenty to choose from. The book shows dozens and dozens of trips and includes some nice maps, but the maps might not be detailed enough to be sufficient on their own. Can't go wrong for a few dollars.

John M
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2009 at 10:04 PM
Not for the meek....

Picacho del Diablo

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
So I am interested in doing a little hiking/camping/backpacking in baja while the weather is still cool(er). I have looked on line and for books but can't find anything to substantial. Most of what I find are tours and that's not really what I am looking for. If anyone could point me in the direction of some good references I'd appreciate it.

'The Baja Adventure Book' by Walt Peterson (available on Nomad or all book dealers, and source, just reprinted, again.)

My web site has a lot of ideas in the links, as well see below.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 12:12 PM

thanks for the info guys (& gal)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 07:12 PM
EL CAMINO REAL

A favorite for me is to hike the mission trail in Baja!

I have been posting satellite images and maps of the Camino Real as it winds through Baja on various posts on Nomad... just do a search to see them.

Here are Gulick's 1955 ECR map of the area near Gonzaga and Crosby's 1977 map...

Here is me on the Camino Real where it is close to Gonzaga Bay, heading up towards Mision Santa Maria... 2003.

[Edited on 1-20-2009 by David K]

[Edited on 1-20-2009 by David K]

nomad-2.jpg - 38kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2009 at 02:49 PM

Actually, you can camp, hike and backpack Baja from just about anywhere - the reason you don't find references is because it's all wide open - doable from everywhere.
For instance, drive to Rcho. Santa Inez, camp/hike/backpack in the direction of Mission Santa Maria.
Drive to Las Pintas pictograph site out of El Rosario, camp/hike/backpack.
Drive to El Volcan, camp/hike/backpack
Drive to Arroyo La Bocana out of Catavina, camp/hike/backpack
Drive to Mission San Borja - take off from there in several directions
north of Erendira along the coast
base camp out of Agua Caliente 35 mi. from Ensenada and backpack into the canyons there

What are your interests? Missions, mining, flowers, birds, beach, fishing, mountains? Would tailor your camp/hike/backpack around those areas. If you ever leave your car for an extended period, be sure it's out of sight or looked after.

Few water sites, so gear your backpacks with a water source en route or pack very light so as to carry plenty of water. Some water indications on a topo may be dry during certain times of the year.
fernando
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 10:33 AM

hi Cyanide

please check my web page for some information and if you need some sugestions-ideas let me know. Ill bbe glad to help you

some ideas are picacho del diablo but you need a guide, punta banda to santo tomas, ojos negros to laguna hanson...there are many options

Fernando
Baja Outfitters & Adventures
www.baja-outfitters.com

[Edited on 2-6-2009 by fernando]
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41

The great mountain biking in the hills of Rosarito Beach is a surprise treat. Lots of horse trails, hills, beautiful vistas.

DSC00024s.JPG - 41kB

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2009 at 11:06 AM
feb 5 hike report

Thursday morning hike on Punta Banda included 4-legged scouts.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 01:32 PM

The dirt roads around Mike's Sky Ranch offer some interesting hiking areas. From Mike's you can hike to El Coyote ranch and loop back to Mike's. You're looking at 10-12 miles or more each way. Some of the cross over roads are little used and overgrown. The south side out of mike's is seldom used except during an off road race. Another good area is the trails into and around Laguna Hanson.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.