Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Francisco de la Sierra
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

question.gif posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:17 AM
San Francisco de la Sierra

Hola Nomads, There will be 5 (possibly 6) of us going via mule to the cave paintings in latter February. We plan on renting an additional burro to pack some extra gear. The question is, what to take? What about a small stove, icechest to hold steaks, etc., small dome tents, cots, flashlights, bug spray? Of course sleeping bags - any other suggestions? Thanks, Paul Boe

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:25 AM

Hey Paul...we are planning the same trip but perhaps in March so we look forward to your report. Just a thought but there is lots of wood in the sierra and fires are easy to start so a stove probably wont be necessary...a grill probably though. Are there bugs in febrary up there?? Those little thin inflating camping pads are fantastic, lightweight and take up little room...cots seem like overkill...down sleeping bag is best.

Have a wonderful trip.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:31 AM

Shari, check your U2U. Paul Boe

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:40 AM

Yes, those thermarests are really nice. Not only are they comfortable but they also insulate you from below. I use them on cots also as they keep you warmer. Cots also keep you off the ground in case you're worried about the critters.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:48 AM

Good hiking shoes - you'll be doing a lot of walking (I gotta have a hiking pole). Bathing suit for the swimmin' hole. Small backpacking stove would be good for quick heat and serve meals, beverages, soups. Take a water filter and some empty things to store water in - pump a few gallons all at once to have a ready supply. Such a fun trip.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 11:20 AM

Everyone we've talked to locally here in mulege says the trip is "death defying" but that they are soooooo glad they took it....i'm not so sure i want to do the "death defying" deal but sure would like to see this place...and...i'm a pretty big guy and was wondering if the burros have a weight limit?

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 11:32 AM

Our friends who are guides there showed us photos of a couple of super mules...really big suckers for you larger fellows....so no problema miguel.
In my experience...making a small stick cooking fire to heat water takes less time than setting up a camp stove....yeah, thermarests...thats what those things are called and they do the trick...those camel packs for water would be great...and thanks for reminding me about the bathing suit...us canucks dont think about such things as we are famous for skinnydipping!!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Everyone we've talked to locally here in mulege says the trip is "death defying" but that they are soooooo glad they took it....i'm not so sure i want to do the "death defying" deal but sure would like to see this place...and...i'm a pretty big guy and was wondering if the burros have a weight limit?

Have you seen the trails on Google Earth? Pretty wild!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 11:43 AM

Swimming in February? Are they hot springs?

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 12:19 PM
fast java

these babies rock for super fast boiled water with minimum amounts of driftwood:
www.kellykettle.com

Aq
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 12:20 PM

If it's not hot enough borrow Juan's bathing suit.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael

We took the trip using Gary at Ignacio Springs B&B as our outfitter. Had a great time and would definately recomend them. As for the weight issue, I weigh 260 and Gary had me beat by about 10lbs. They had mules that packed our fat asses in and out but I really felt sorry for mine especially going down hill. As for the "death defying" part, yes, it was. I took lots of pictures but they really don't do justice to the potential danger. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have missed it for the world but I doubt that this type of trip could be done in the "lawsuit crazy"US.

Gary gave us a mule handling orientation before the trip including how to get off if the mule falls over the cliff. I asked our guide if anyone had been killed on this trip and he slowly said "no......not this year...."... dt
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 01:28 PM

In the INAH managed campgrounds fires are prohibited, unless the custodian for that area is present to grant special permission. I'm not sure how strictly the rule is enforced, but you should have a stove. If you are riding only to Santa Teresa camp you can build fires there because it is on a rancho. If you ride on to El Cacariso-- no fires. When packing the cooler remember that you are responsible for feeding your guide(s). They are the kindest of people, and great dinner company. A guide told us that some groups, especially from particular countries fail to offer them anything, but the Americans and Canadians never guilty of this:D. And they work hard, often having to walk and climb a lot to round up the animals in the morning.

Your list looks good. If you have tents you don't have to worry about critters, so thermarest pads might be more portable than cots. You probably won't need bug spray in February, but you may need sunscreen.
Lots of good suggestions above, especially the water filter, and storage vessels if you are staying at any dry camps up on the mesa. You'll find water to pump in the canyon.

[Edited on 1-26-2009 by Paula]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:33 PM

If you ride the entire way, there are certainly some spots that are death defying - a 13" narrow, slickrock sided, path on the side of a mountain - that's where one of our mules fell. If you're walking, it's a nice hike - it's being up there on the mule with little control of it - they follow too close to each other - they're weighed down and can get off balance - that's the risk. Our group was a hiking group and on the last night we had hiked to a different camp after seeing one of the caves. We had gotten into camp about 4:30 and our mules with all our gear was expected about 5:30-6:00. They finally got in well after dark about 7:30 - after having had to rescue the mule that fell down the cliff. At this different campground, there was only an algae covered pond for water, so I'm glad I had my purifier.
No, they're not hotsprings, but you feel very refreshed after a dip in these pools. Jump in and then dry off on a granite slab in the sun - heaven.
Our guide told us that mountain lions sometimes attack the mules at night - plenty of adventure awaits.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 02:49 PM

Watch the movie 'Bajo California: The Limit of Time' :O

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 05:56 PM
Mule advice

The mules work very hard for a living and to keep you SAFE and they deserve the BEST in care as do the vaqueros who keep you ALIVE.

BIG people do make it hard for the mules but if the guides know a big person is coming they can usually find a BIG mule. Weight IS a problem for animals.

Here are some very important basics- The bridle-that thing w a metal bit in the animal's mouth with reins going to your hands-is NOT A support thing. DO NOT hang on it for balance or pull it. Make sure the reins are LOOSE (but not so loose they get caught under a leg especially when going up and downhills as the animals need to be able to extend their necks as they walk). Only gently pull on the reins IF you want to STOP then release immediately when stopped!!!

When going uphill grab some mane with one hand and LEAN FORWARD to get yr weight OFF of the mule's rear so it can go UP easier. When going downhill lean your upper body BACK (lower half forward!) while holding the reins far forward so the animal can use its forequarters to manuever. Remember to STAY OFF OF THE MULE'S MOUTH when doing these things. Also going downhill as you lean baaaack use your other hand to hold on to the cantle (the rear back part) of the saddle for support. By the way holding on to the mane does NOT hurt the animal.

The mule will only put out what it has to so if you get a guy who can barely pick up its feet you need to be able to encourage it to move on. The mules do want to be with their buds. If your mule seems to not want to go first make sure you are not pulling on the reins-after all that means whoa....

As for what to bring-beg borrow some half-chaps for the lower part of your legs. These will protect you from the MANY nasty spines that have your name on them and also from rub irritations from the saddle. If you have a saddle in good shape that fits your butt then that too will be an asset. You can use the saddle pads underneath your thermarests.

The Baja mules lead a working guy's life and once they put in their 8 hrs most just want to be off the clock to find food and sleep. ALWAYS do what the cowboys tell you-if they want you off or on follow their instructions. THEY know what they are doing.

When you pack your gear think abt the pack animals-many small bags are better than one large duffle that weighs 100 lbs!..The cowboys work hard to pack the animals carefully so that the loads don't shift etc. There are some really HOLY S!!!! places where you might feel like walking but for the most parts-trust the mule....it doesn't want to die either!

IBUROFEN-breakfast of champions...take a bottle w you and plan ahead for the new muscles you will discover if you don't ride much.

DO TIP your cowboys and DO bring things to give to their families such as sewing goods, hand lotion, work gloves, teas, color books & crayons, flower & vegetable seeds, childrens' books in Spanish-you get the picture. When the cowboys are getting animals ready in the mornings get packed so they can parcel into piles everyone's stuff. They are very polite and will stand around waiting for you to get that tent packed up while you are lazying around drinking cowboy coffee. THEY have work to do!

One last thing take along a pommel (horn) bag for carrying water bottles on the horn and also saddle bags will make things easier for personal gear AND don't forget WATER BOTTLES and FILTER....the SF get a lot of visitors and you don't want to know what goes into the water. BB

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 09:21 PM

Great informative post, Baja Bucko! Those words "trust your mule come to be like a mantra-- just keep sayin' it over and over. And pay attention to the trail lest you get bonked by a low hanging branch.

I've never had any kind of chaps for riding, just my jeans and good shoes, and haven't had any problems. I have wished for a cushion or thin pillow to put on the saddle, nd fleece jackets nd sweaters will do in a pinch. A nice thick piece of sheepskin would be a great thing to have along.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-26-2009 at 10:57 PM
Helmets!!!!

I know we are all super-macho, and helmets are for wimps.
But, a very good friend of ours, just an extraordinary horse person, was on a Sierra back pack trip last summer.
She always wore a helmet when riding,
but...
the backpacker suggested that she ride the 'big mule' which was a fairly docile critter. Until the rattler spooked him, tossed her, landed on her head, dead in an hour.
Be warned, beware, be safe...
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 02:02 AM

The best thing you can do for yourself is to be in good shape, especially strong legs. The mules get you to the place where you hike up the canyon walls to the caves. You will also be leading your mule both down and UP some rough places and you want to NOT get trampled. I wished I had done extra duty on the stairmaster beforehand.

I took my leather chaps and I was very glad I did, although they caused the guys to point and holler Vaquera!

The only fire we had was at Santa Teresa.

When you get to the part where the trail disappears across a solid 45 degree rock wall,:o you will hold you breath while you picture the mule w/rider in front of you losing its footing and careening to the bottom of the canyon. Holding your breath as you cross doesn't help. One guy in our party was scared $h!ttle$$...like almost to the point of being paralyzed and halting the whole parade.

Another guy was an experienced hiker and did not intend to ride at all. The vaqueros brought an extra mule anyway which was handy after he broke his ankle.

There was never a dull moment and we really did have a good time. The cowboys, Ramon, Boney, Carlos & Oscar took very good care of us, were very personable and graciously ate what we prepared for them. I cannot remember what we had fixed one night but it was strange to them. They seemed happier when we gave them tortillas and they loaded them up with the strange glop. We took way too much stuff and left behind extra gear and food at the end. Most of us were tea drinkers, not coffee and the cowboys need coffee!

Have fun!

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2009 at 08:33 AM

Mil gracias amigos for all this fantastic information...being well prepared makes for a much better trip...i am going to start organizing my packing now... Excellent burro tips....now to decide whether to pack the guitar or violin....maybe just the harmonica.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.