Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Death Valley: the next best thing to Baja
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:50 PM
Death Valley: the next best thing to Baja

My internal compass pointed south and I nearly missed the westerly turnoff towards Death Valley from Lone Pine. It would have been so easy to continue to Baja. We had all our camping gear, plenty of ice--everything we'd need to land in Bahia.

Alas, my head-for-the-border suggestions landed on deaf ears and so I turned west for DV. Once the decision was made, I got excited over visiting my old stomping grounds.

Many years ago, friends gave me the nickname of Death Valley Suzie. It was earned one night when they were searching for me in the valley. But that's another story.

Some of the geology of Death Valley is like Baja's. Volcanic blow-outs and flows color much of the valley's walls. With the mercury hitting 112 degrees today, we felt like we were in Baja but without the culture.

On the way there, we stopped and filled up at a whopping $3.10 for regular unleaded in Panamint Springs. That is the highest I've ever paid for gasoline.

Headed into South Fork Canyon, into the western flanks of the Panamint Mountains. Has some great 4wheeling. Spent the night at a cabin in Briggs Camp. Completed the loop the next day, coming out Surprise Canyon in early afternoon.

Headed into Death Valley and camped a couple nights at Furnace Creek campground. It was blazing hot and there was lots of wind. Cold ones went down quite smoothly, as did margaritas.

Had a great time. Hope you all had a fun Memorial Weekend.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:52 PM

Geo; Are the Tecopa Hot Springs still the Best Place for "Skinny Dipping"?
Skeet/Loreto
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2004 at 09:58 PM

You betcha, lots of old hippies with their white bare bottoms showing!

For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
Kathleen

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 06:17 AM
hot springs

ARe the tecopa hot springs segregated--men in one pool, women in the other?
To me nothing beats Saline Hot Springs in death valley.
AND it is free!
Kathleen

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoRock
You betcha, lots of old hippies with their white bare bottoms showing!

Suzy, not all details are needed... I almost lost my breakfast!:o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 07:42 AM

Sounds like a dark pair of sunglasses would be useful there.....
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-1-2004 at 12:32 PM
white to pink ?

In 112 degrees the blinding white in the hot springs, might get turned pink to red by the sun quite quickly :lol: ;D :lol:

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Taco de Baja]
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 12:14 PM
cabins

Hey Georock,
A couple years ago, I got a hold of a BLM "adopt-a-cabin" map, it shows all the cabins(some of them restored) on public land in the southern sierra to death valley area, have you heard of this map?
it shows the briggs cabin (haven't been there but I heard lotsa good things about it)
GeoRock
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 09:22 AM

Jide,
I have hunted and hunted online. I cannot find any map anywhere that shows all the cabins.
Any leads?
Briggs cabin was great. If you go there I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I can't wait to go back!

Kathleen

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 08:49 AM
adopt-a-cabin

go to this website for some great info:
http://www.ca.blm.gov//ridgecrest/adoptacabin.html

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoRock
Jide,
I have hunted and hunted online. I cannot find any map anywhere that shows all the cabins.
Any leads?
Briggs cabin was great. If you go there I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I can't wait to go back!

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.