Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My San Felipe Area Maps 1967-1988
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 07:51 AM

your list is good for someone who drives the road south
but for someone who wants to locate a camp on a map or on sat pictures it does not work well

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 08:02 AM

Harald,
Do you think it would be worthwhile to add coordinates to the KM list?
Not very difficult to do with my mapping SW.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 08:18 AM

The list primarily shows residential Campos where people have homes. There are very few camping campos. My road guide and 2018 map show just the Campos of interest to vacation travelers.

Camping campos on the list include:
El Faro Beach
Villa Marina
Punta Estrella Beach
Rancho Percebu
Nuevo Mazatlan
La Toba
Octavio's Playa Escondido
Puertecitos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Harald,
Do you think it would be worthwhile to add coordinates to the KM list?
Not very difficult to do with my mapping SW.

then the coordinates would have to be entered manually in people's devices
a file with locations in kmz or gpx would be good
including David's notes whether they are residential r open for camping (with which services?)

here is an example I could complete if I had more notes

Attachment: All Campos (turisticos).kmz (12kB)
This file has been downloaded 245 times

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 03:28 PM

Has nobody else on here made maps of the places in Baja they go?

It was always so natural for me to make a map of an area we visited since I was a kid.

I guess it is kind of like an artist doing a painting or a photographer taking a picture? I made my maps so I could go back to Baja (in my mind) by looking at the maps I made. My bedroom wall, growing up, had a Mike McMahan wall map on it.

When I joined the Internet in the late 1990s, I discovered that Baja discussion was a big deal and I was not alone having a strong affection for the place. It was Amigos de Baja and Fred Metcalf's boards back then.

I created the Viva Baja events (2000-2003) as a place for others stricken with 'Baja Fever' to meet and share. I met many of you, including Doug (Baja Nomad) at my Viva Baja parties.

Photos at them, plus the Viva Baja Cactus event in 2006, hosted by Antonio, in Tijuana, are on my website, www.vivabaja.com near the bottom.

David K's Viva Baja Party Photos:

A Message from Choral Pepper

October '00 Viva Baja #1

May '01 Viva Baja #2

February '02 Viva Baja #3

February '03 Viva Baja #4

November '06 Viva Baja Cactus

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 07:40 AM
Mapping

DK, FYI
No criticism ever intended

Your maps are very redundant to my collection of digital maps and I still find your stuff useful. This is especially true when your maps include pictures.
Regarding making my own maps;
Paper maps - Not so much. It turns out the folks I associate with all use GPS units or tablets/phones and we all share the maps driven (some hiker ones also). I store my digital maps as individual trips as opposed to a collection of trips like your maps.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2019 at 09:59 AM

Oh, it is just fun looking back to a time before GPS and Google Earth... I would sure enjoy seeing if anyone else out there drew maps of Baja besides me, Cliff Cross, or Howard Gulick.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.