Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hazardous Duty Pay Area
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 09:53 AM
Hazardous Duty Pay Area

This morning there was a running gun battle between the Army and several drug smugglers right in San Lucas Cove.

The druggies ran their boat aground hard and ran thru the RV Park, the soldiers left their own boat and are running thru the shallow water, shooting at the smugglers. The smugglers are shooting back!

Finally, the smugglers are caught just outside the RV Park and the Park is inundated with Army troops.

Fine job Army! Hooah!!!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 09:56 AM
Go Army

Yeah, but did they hit any of the druggies??????

Wonder where all of those "unaccounted" rounds went????

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:16 AM

My brother and sister-in-law are camped there. They are supposed to be driving from San Lucas to La Paz today. I don't know if they hit the road before this happened. If any of you have more information please report it on this thread or send me an U2U.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:25 AM
Viva el Ejercito Mexicano!

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:33 AM

It is so easy for us here to criticize and/or make fun of these guys but the reality is that so many of them put their lives on the line.

I salute them and hope they can catch a lot more of the bastards...

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:44 AM

I just called friends who live in the village across the road from the cove. According to them, the action went down between 6:30 and 7 o'clock this morning. The smugglers came ashore in two pangas loaded with weed. They heard many gunshots and think two smugglers were killed. They are not positively sure of the details as the army has sealed the access roads to the cove and no one has been allowed in or out. Guess my brother is going to be late arriving in La Paz and we cancelled out going to a tamale party thinking he'd be here early. Oh well, I'm mainly sorry two dudes apparently lost their lives over something as inconsequential as a load of mary jane. Silliness, all of it, tragic silliness.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 10:48 AM

I could care less about the "mary jane" as you call it. In fact I would just prefer that we legalize drugs to put these guys out of business. These "poor" guys are involved/connected with thousands of kidnappings, torture, murder, beheadings and more. If they are going to play the game they have to be prepared to pay the price when they lose.

And today two of them lost...

losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 11:07 AM

I live in the village and according to actual reputable eyewitness accounts, there was one, only one panga involved, and only two smugglers.

The smugglers fled up the hill from the beach area, no one is sure whether there were any deaths. But the smugglers were caught in the vicinity of the new squid processing plant.

The access to the park is now open and no one was hurt, other than some feelings, except for the possiblility of some deserving drug smugglers.

Once again, Hooah for the Army!!!

Unaccounted for rounds and all!!!

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by losfrailes]
ckiefer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I could care less about the "mary jane" as you call it. In fact I would just prefer that we legalize drugs to put these guys out of business. These "poor" guys are involved/connected with thousands of kidnappings, torture, murder, beheadings and more. If they are going to play the game they have to be prepared to pay the price when they lose.

And today two of them lost...

I have to agree on this one. It won't stop until it's legalized. What then?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 11:43 AM

I don't know how many of you realize just how easy it is to legally purchase weed in places like California where "medicinal marijuana" is legal. The dispensaries are usually co-located with a doctor. One need only see the doctor, complain of some ailment- like stress or axiety, and bingo, you get your Rx. Go next door and purchase legally. It's just like the set up at most of the Farmacias Similares in MX.

Not that I bought any. An LA Times reporter did so for a story. At least according to her, when she got back to the news room with her "legal" weed, her editor watched while she flushed it down the toilet.

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by Bajahowodd]
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 12:08 PM
San Lucus

Russ , just curious where it came from ??? mainland, shrimp boat,
or what ever..long panga ride :?::?::?::?:

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 12:55 PM

"long panga ride", indeed. I'd guess it was from the mainland, and off-loaded from a larger boat under cover of darkness.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 01:44 PM

That is probably about right. How far is it from Sinaloa to Baja Sur across the water???

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 01:48 PM

Wayne, sounds like you had a little excitement today...thanks for the eyewitness account!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 03:46 PM

The ferry between Santa Rosalia and Guaymas takes ten hours. Of course, a trawler could do it in less time.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 04:01 PM

roundtuit, I'm not the one to ask. "I know kothink" ~~~~
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2009 at 06:45 PM

As you can imagine, this story takes on new definitions and descriptions depending on who is doing the telling. It was certainly an exciting and scary situation for the people in the trailer park. There were two pangas, out of a total of 5, that were under surveilence by the army, and one was being pursued by the military boat. It was a large panga, probably at least 28 feet, and powered by a 250 hp Yamaha. Two culprits decided to make landfall in the cove and came in about 50 mph or so and headed for an area of sand right in front of Joe and Anita's trailer where Joe has his boat parked. Joe claims they were doing 50 or so when they started to hit rocks along with sand, but they just speeded it up and came aground right by his boat, which was high and dry. They left the panga which was loaded with extra gasoline tanks and marijuana and started running toward the village of San Lucas. There were shots exchanged between the pursuing army and the drug runners. One of them was captured near the new squid plant across from the doctor's house and the other culprit made it into San Lucas. He was captured during a house to house search by the military and reportedly is now in custody.
The military evidently captured another panga and brought it in to the cove where the military base is located and it was also loaded with bales of marijuana and extra gas.
While waiting for the Super Bowl to begin we had a party and several people had just commented on the fact that we were pretty quiet and serene here in paradise and that it was too bad there was all this drug activity up north in the border towns. And then we wake up to all this excitement.
Bajajazz, as you probably already know your people left this morning and should be in La Paz by now.

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 12:35 AM
THANKS, PESCADOR

Thanks for the information and concern, Pescador. Yes, my folks arrived here late afternoon and were largely unaware of a lot of what was going on in their campground this morning. While having breakfast they heard a bunch of shots, looked out the window of their RV and saw a flock of doves taking wing from a nearby tree and assumed that some gringos were hunting doves. They saw a couple of guys running around real fast and thought they were hunters picking up dead birds. It wasn't until they drove out to the highway and saw all the police and army personnel that they realized something heavy was going on.

However, they were aware that the military had been patrolling the area for the past 4-5 days, with one boatload of armed soldiers and another boat that was radar equipped stationed behind the sand spit with its radar mast up above the spit so it could sweep the bay. It looked to them like the military had been tipped that a shipment was coming in. We're all glad to hear there were no deaths.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 12:47 AM

The whole incident raises a question. As Pescador notes the comfort of knowing that all the drug hoopla was far North. In the past, would narcos have been quietly bringing bales of weed ashore at San Lucas Cove, unbeknownst to anyone, or has the army crackdown caused the druggies to try this tranquil area?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 06:19 AM

It sounds as if you are talking about someplace other than Cabo San Lucas , you mentioned it is a quite place.

So, my question is, where is your San Lucas ?

CaboRon

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.