Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Freon
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 06:57 PM
And as far as doing something about it

as opposed to whining and quoting intelligent people, you might consider doing something about it.

WHY BAMBOO?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logo and "Why Bamboo" provided by:

Environmental Bamboo Foundation
P.O. Box 196
Ubud 80571, Bali, Indonesia
Telephone: 62-361-974-027
Fax: 62-361-974-029

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Bamboo? Bamboo has a role to play. The plant is deteriorating all around us and it seems that people are just getting used to it rather than doing anything about it. The social, political and economic implications are unimaginable as our ozone layer thins, forest disappear and deserts form, disease rages, earthquakes destroy, housing evaporates and food supplies dwindle. Bamboo has a role to play. Perhaps the environmental crises at hand have not touched your life, but the time will come. The earth desperately needs the attention and action of all of us or our children's children will surely not have a world fit to live in. There is no one solution but amazingly, the simple bamboo plant can make a dramatic positive impact in many areas. It is our goal to inform and raise awareness about "People, The Environment and Bamboo" and give people the tools and information to then respond in their own way in their own world. Every action counts, every person counts...

AND BAMBOO HAS AN IMPORTANT ROLE TO PLAY. BAMBOO IS:

The fastest growing plant on this planet
A critical element in the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
A viable replacement for wood
An enduring natural resource
Versatile with a short growth cycle
A critical element of the economy
An essential structural material in earthquake architecture
A renewable resource for agroforestry production.
A natural controllable barrier
An ancient medicine
Integrally involved in culture and the arts

THE FACTS

BAMBOO IS:

The fastest growing woody plant on this planet. It grows one third faster than the fastest growing tree. Some species can grow up to 1 meter per day. One can almost "watch it grow". This growth pattern makes it easily accessible in a minimal amount of time. Size ranges from miniatures to towering culms of 60 meters.

A critical element in the balance of oxygen / carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Bamboo i s the fastest growing canopy for the regreening of degraded areas and generates more oxygen than equivalent stand of trees. It lowers light intensity and protects against ultraviolet rays and is an atmospheric and soil purifier.

A viable replacement for wood. Bamboo is one of the strongest building materials. Bamboo's tensile strength is 28,000 per square inch versus 23,000 for steel. In the tropics is it possible to plant and grow your own bamboo home. In a plot 20m x 20m2, in the course of 5 years, two 8m x 8m homes can be constructed from the harvest. Every year after that the yield is one additional house per plot.

An enduring natural resource. Bamboo can be selectively harvested annually. Bamboo provided the first re-greening in Hiroshima after the atomic blast in 1945. Thomas Edison successfully used a carbonized bamboo filament in his first experiment with the light bulb.

Versatile with a short growth cycle. There are over 1000 species of bamboo on the earth. The diversity makes bamboo adaptable to many environments. It can be harvested in 3-5 years versus 10-20 years for most softwoods. Bamboo tolerates extremes of precipitation, from 30-250 inches of annual rainfall.

A critical element of the economy. Bamboo and its related industries already provide income, food and housing to over 2.2 billion people worldwide. There is a 3-5 year return on investment for a new bamboo plantation versus 8-10 years for rattan. Governments such as India, China and Burma with 19,800,000 hectares of bamboo reserves collectively, have begun to focus attention on the economic factors of bamboo production.

An essential structural material in earthquake architecture. In Limon, Costa Rica, only the bamboo houses from the National Bamboo Project stood after their violent earthquake in 1992. Flexible and lightweight bamboo enables structures to ?dance? in earthquakes.

A renewable resource for agroforestry products. Bamboo is a high-yield renewable natural resource: ply bamboo is now being used for wall paneling, floor tiles; bamboo pulp, for paper making, briquettes for fuel, raw material for housing construction, and rebar for reinforced concrete beams.

A soil conservation tool. Bamboo is exquisite component of landscape design. It's anti-erosion properties create an effective watershed, stitching the soil together along fragile river banks, deforested areas, and in places prone to earthquakes and mud slides. The sum of stem flow rate and canopy intercept of bamboo is 25% which means that bamboo greatly reduces rain run-off, preventing massive soil erosion.

An ancient medicine. Bamboo has for centuries been used in Ayurveda and Chinese acupuncture. The powdered hardened secretion from bamboo is used internally to treat asthma, coughs and can be used a an aphrodisiac. In China, ingredients from the root of the black bamboo help treat kidney disease. Roots and leaves have also been used to treat venereal disease and cancer. Sap is said to reduce fever and ash will cure prickly heat. Current research point to bamboo's potential in a number of medicinal uses.

Integrally involved in culture and the arts. Bamboo is a mystical plant as a symbol of strength, flexibility, tenacity, endurance and compromise. Throughout Asia, bamboo has for centuries been integral to religions ceremonies, art, music and daily life. It is the paper, the brush and the inspiration of poems and paintings. Among the earliest historical records, 2nd century B.C. were written on green bamboo strips strung together in a bundle with silk thread. Instruments made of bamboo create unique resonance.

A food source: Bamboo shoots provide nutrition for million of people worldwide. In Japan, the antioxidant properties of pulverized bamboo bark prevents bacterial growth and its used a natural food preservative. Bamboo ?litter? make fodder for animals and food for fish. Taiwan alone consumes 80,000 tons of bamboo shoots annually constituting at $50 million industry.

A landscape design element. Bamboo is an exquisite component of landscape design. For the human environment, bamboo provides shade, wind break, acoustical barriers and aesthetic beauty.

| Previous |

Or is that idea too un-gringa like for you?
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 06:58 PM

Look, arsehole, if someone has already answered a question on a Baja topic, why should I reiterate it?

Further, I have added alot to Baja News and Politics, and Surfing, important events like LNG facilities, and Pollution Control Data, and information sites for news affecting Baja.

Go jump in the lake !!!And get off my case. You like to intimidate women.

[Edited on 6-12-2004 by Margie]

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 06:59 PM
See there

I don't have a mind of my own either!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 07:02 PM
This is almost as much fun

as doing what I really do.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those that know me will appreciate that.hahahahahahaha

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 07:33 PM

David K. , you were wondering how many countries it is banned from ? So far, 139 countries bann the manufacture of Freon.

China and India have until 2010 to comply, and according to the the 1996 Montreal Protocal, "industrialized countries agreed to make payments to developing countries to help them purchase new refrigerator systems."

Yes, that was one hundred and thirty nine countries.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 08:09 PM

Bamboo: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp?id=47380

Grows up to .00002 miles per hour!
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 08:36 PM

Wait a minute, I want to say one more thing. I am tired of Jr saying we "moved to San Antonio". We originally moved to Punta Banda, 18 miles south of Ensenada, to use as a retirement home and also as a midway point to be able to go further south when we wanted. We HAD to move back up here because of 9-11.

Now, JR, I don't know why you are so priveledged not to have to clock in everyday from nine to five, but Jack still has to.

I'm really tired of you referring to this part as not really being Mexico. It is Mexico for cryin out loud.

San Antonio is NOT like it was 25 years ago, there are mostly Mexicans that live here !

You are in a dream world if you think all Baja California is impoverished little hovels back in the hills. This area is depictive of where Mexico is trying to go, more towards a three class society instead of two. The culture and arts are flourishing here, I can assure you. And the levels of education and sophistication are growing by the day here. Everyone can avoid Tijuana on their pursuits of travel into the so-called frontier, but you cannot ignore the vital importance of the huge international metropolitan area that is Tijuana and San Diego. It is the only bi national metropolitan area in the world, and because of this crossborder cooperation is a huge social experiment.

Check out http://www.sandiegodialogue.org for interesting comments, studies, and observations on this subject.

And, furthermore, I started coming down here over forty years ago, probably when you were still in diapers.

[Edited on 6-12-2004 by Margie]

dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 08:37 PM
Forget bamboo...

Hemp baby, hemp is the answer.

And yes, I AM talking about the kind you smoke. I think that both jr and margie need a few bong loads...
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 08:54 PM
HAAAAA!!!!!

dbrooks..... and may we all be down wind when they do :o :yes: :spingrin:
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 08:56 PM

Wait a minute, this guy has been on my case from the get go, trashing my real-estate add, trashing out posts, making intimidating and snide remarks.

Take your bong and shove it dbrooks.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Margie
David K. , you were wondering how many countries it is banned from ? So far, 139 countries bann the manufacture of Freon.

China and India have until 2010 to comply, and according to the the 1996 Montreal Protocal, "industrialized countries agreed to make payments to developing countries to help them purchase new refrigerator systems."

Yes, that was one hundred and thirty nine countries.

Good evening Margie... it is almost sad to see two lefties fight... I am sorry you are getting harassed. You do tend to harp on industrial issues and JR sees Mexico as a purely agrarian society, me thinks...

As for your reply to my post... I was not talking about the manufactoring of freon. I was talking about the legal USE of freon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 09:06 PM
Margie

Me thinks you got the wrong guy? But, what the heck do I know? You two go to your rooms and kiss and make up!:biggrin:

Chat anyone?
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 09:14 PM

David, that number would remain the same. Now, there are stockpiles which can be used up, but what they are doing is trying to convert the existing stockpiles into another form, by breaking it down to a sodium level.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2004 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Margie
David, that number would remain the same. Now, there are stockpiles which can be used up, but what they are doing is trying to convert the existing stockpiles into another form, by breaking it down to a sodium level.

NO... how do you figure??? Only countries that make freon have people who use freon??? HUH?

Freon is probably only made in a dozen countries. WHERE do people use freon and how many countries made it illegal to use? Forget about manufactoring... it's NOT the same thing...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2004 at 01:40 AM

'm sorry, I gave you the wrong number .
One Hundred and Seventy Countries ban Freon.

Of course, people are still using it, until they have retrofits, but the price mark up is so high, on the current stockpiles, that it is forcing people to retrofit.

There is a corelation between manufacture and use. It is obvious: If a product is not manufactured, and stockpiles are used up, there simply will be no more use.According to the Montreal Protocal, after all stockpiles are either used up or converted, then, yes, Freon would be illegal to use.

For example, the ban on Freon in Denmark alone has brought down consumption by 98 % over a ten-year period.

The exciting news, however, is that scientists are on to a conversion of the existing stockpiles of Freon to a soluble sodium form.

Of course, countries that do not ban the manufacture or use of Freon, still use it; however, through the United Nations, these remaining countries are being rewarded to more modern techniques of refrigeration with actual products and grants.

[Edited on 6-13-2004 by Margie]

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 6-13-2004 at 02:06 AM
Jack/Mar

Since you like posting links, here's one you haven't posted:

http://www.theonion.com/index.php?pre=1

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 6-13-2004 by The Gull]

[Edited on 6-13-2004 by The Gull]

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrooks
Hemp baby, hemp is the answer.

And yes, I AM talking about the kind you smoke. I think that both jr and margie need a few bong loads...

and don't forget to change the water regularly.:!::barf:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 11:40 AM

Just got back in the U.S.S.A. for a few days and brought back
10 cans of FREON. Need to recharge a couple of vehicles this
Summer.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 12:49 PM
A smuggler in our midst.

Shame on you :lol::lol:
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 08:37 PM

Maybe next time you'll get popped.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.