Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Armed car jacking
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

sad.gif posted on 2-9-2009 at 05:02 PM
Armed car jacking

Just got word that there was a car jacking at gun point just south of Loreto on the highway. No injuries but lost the car and all belongings. Be careful out there.

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by spi619]
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 07:56 AM
More info?

Can we get some more details? time of day? flagged down on the side of the road? Stopped to help an old lady and she pulled a gun?

Please if you can pass on more info?
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 2-10-2009 at 12:22 PM
??? Is that...

...Armed car, jacking.....or Armed, car jacking???

In any event, being accosted on the open road is a nasty event!!!

If the purp's were faking a 'breakdown' and flagged down someone, it's going to eventually change the way we all approach such situations on the highways in Baja!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 10:41 AM
car jacking

Sorry I got this information from Lynn Hamman in Loreto and there was no additional information. Simply stated it was a car jacking where toutists were forced from thier vehicle at gunpoint and all of thier belongings including thier car (rental) was taken. Yes it seems that stopping to help for any reason except to help Americans can be very dangerous.
Hope it was an isolated case and we will hear no more about this sort of thing in that area or any other area for that matter.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spi619
Yes it seems that stopping to help for any reason except to help Americans can be very dangerous.

And what would happen to many of us if all the Mexicans only stopped to help other Mexicans because there are some dangerous Americans :?::?:

Diane

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry I got this information from Lynn Hamman in Loreto and there was no additional information. Simply stated it was a car jacking where toutists were forced from thier vehicle at gunpoint and all of thier belongings including thier car (rental) was taken. Yes it seems that stopping to help for any reason except to help Americans can be very dangerous.
Hope it was an isolated case and we will hear no more about this sort of thing in that area or any other area for that matter.

I think it's time for a "BAJA NOMAD" emergency banner. You keep it in your car and attach it to your antenae to signal other nomads in the event of an emergency.

When it get's to the point that we only help or request help from the ones we know- it's time to move. I'm sure where that move would be to.

We haev more predators up here. Sadly- in Baja Norte the "deporteees" (twenty-something heavily tatooed freshly-deported/prison-released english speaking gang members) know the "decencey" of the american people and use it to their advantage against us. If you were raised with decency you are easier prey for crimanals. If they are looking around for who their next meal is going to come from- it's going to be the most approachable, vulnerable and open-minded ones.

Maybe the bad guys act like they need roadside help or their car broke down. Maybe they help you at the ATM, or maybe they ask you outright for money. They have charm and con-skills they've honed on hundreds of people before you.

And who steals a rental car to keep? I remember Colorado changing all the car rental license plates because tourists were being followed and targeted. All rental car plates issued started with the same two letters- so crooks could spot them and locals could give them extra space on the winter highways (much more space if they had a cowboy hat while driving a vehicle with rental plates).

If the car rental agency has their ad on a plate frame or sticker- it could be used by bad guys here too.

[Edited on 2-11-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 02:40 PM

I don't know that it is particularly helpful to post incidents without substantiation. It make some nervous; others angry. Maybe it happened. But, we can all conjure up a story. Not saying that spi619 didn't have good intentions, but without much, if any corroboration, it helps little.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yes it seems that stopping to help for any reason except to help Americans can be very dangerous.

What planet are you from?

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

What planet are you from?

Good question, Ferna,

So maybe the next time you see a gringo who needs help, you should run the other way. Afterall, there are some very dangerous gringos around. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

spi619,
If the carjacking really happened, I am very sorry and would like more information. However, JMHO, with the attitude you expressed, I wonder why you would even want to travel south of the border.
Diane

[Edited on 2-11-2009 by jdtrotter]

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 05:48 PM

[Edited on 2-12-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I don't know that it is particularly helpful to post incidents without substantiation. It make some nervous; others angry. Maybe it happened. But, we can all conjure up a story. Not saying that spi619 didn't have good intentions, but without much, if any corroboration, it helps little.

Howodd,
I din't want to chime in, since I don't know any facts, just heresay.
But I heard from some Loreto Bay folks that it involved a couple on their honeymoon, traveling south from Loreto on Hw 1, got cut of by an other vehicle and then robbed at gunpoint. Took all their possessions, including passports and other paperwork, and left them at the side of the road with their clothes.
Like I stated, this is heresay for me, but no doubt some truth to this.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 2-11-2009 at 08:52 PM

Man that really sucks man!

READY SET.....................
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 12:10 AM

Vandenberg- If it happened, too bad. Really. The more details, the better, to help folks protect themselves. I just felt that the way this was presented was more like a rumor than fact. Seems to me that there are more than enough folks in the area, as well as police and press, to have made this more than "Lynn Hamman sent me an e-mail". That's all.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 07:51 AM
???

Yes, we all care deeply about life in Baja. Mebbee we smell a Troll. I've worked in the newspaper business and without substantiation... well, it didn't happen. Yesterday, I got mad at the racist/culturalist remark made here and responded with anger... then pulled my post because of the "peace,love,fish tacos" creed of this board.

Substantiate or troll no more!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 08:01 AM

With a screen name like spi619 what else could it be but a previously banned person or just a troublemaker on the loose!

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 08:38 AM

I have talked to a lot of People in loreto the last couple days and nobody has heard about it, other than what they say is a bad rumor
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Vandenberg- If it happened, too bad. Really. The more details, the better, to help folks protect themselves. I just felt that the way this was presented was more like a rumor than fact. Seems to me that there are more than enough folks in the area, as well as police and press, to have made this more than "Lynn Hamman sent me an e-mail". That's all.

This event was mentioned in an email from Lynn Hammon. Lynn's emails are the local gringo bulletin board giving us news of local events. She puts a lot of time and effort into them and they are accurate. Her work is much appreciated. So this thread comes from a very reliable source.

I've also heard additional accounts. A couple did lose their rental car and luggage to robbers on the highway south of Ligui.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Quote:

This event was mentioned in an email from Lynn Hammon. Lynn's emails are the local gringo bulletin board giving us news of local events. She puts a lot of time and effort into them and they are accurate. Her work is much appreciated. So this thread comes from a very reliable source.

I've also heard additional accounts. A couple did lose their rental car and luggage to robbers on the highway south of Ligui.

It is good to know this is a reliable source and I am really sorry that this happened. I hope it was an isolated inncident.

Rental cars do seem to be a target in lots of places---I remember when there was a real problem in Florida very similar to this. Are the rental cars in Baja marked?

I am also sorry the original poster chose to make the comment about only helping Americans, it was very offensive and did take away from his/her credibility.

Thanks for the information---tis good to know.

Diane

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 12:43 PM

Don- I know who Lynn Hamman is. and I don't doubt her veracity. Maybe I'm just too much of a voyeur, or so used to tabloids, that I felt those bones needed more meat on them.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-12-2009 at 03:42 PM

friends of this couple posted about it on BBP.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.