Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Want to purchase 100LL without an airplane in Baja Sur
cvchandler
Junior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 2-14-2009 at 08:25 PM
Want to purchase 100LL without an airplane in Baja Sur

I am travelling around Baja with camper and my paramotor. I enjoy aerial photography. Please check out my my website to find out about me and see my photography and find out about my Baja slide show, I think most will enjoy it:

http://www.charleschandlerphotography.com/

Currently I am in Los Barilles. My paramotor requires 100LL. I have a truck camper and a trailer which has a 40 gallon tank for 100LL and I am running out soon.
I understand they have 100LL at Cabo. I would prefer to go to a smaller less busy airport. I assume I would have a lot of trouble buying gas without an airplane, plus parking for my big rig would probably be a problem at Cabo. I could possibly make a trip to Loreto to get fuel.

Is there a Baja resident pilot who might be able to help me? Maybe I could siphon fuel from your plane and pay for the fuel plus give you a bonus. (I could put on my slide show for you and friends) Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Charlie Chandler

20080208_040.jpg - 29kB
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 08:47 PM

Can't help you with fuel, but MAN, I'm lovin' the San Carlos aerial stuff on your site. COOL!!!!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 09:09 PM

Charlie
You should be able to get avgas at the general aviation area of any of the government airports including Los Cabos. If you can get to La Paz that might be a little less busy but, again, they should be able and willing to fill your tank at Los Cabos as long as you can get your rig to the pumps. PS loved your website!!
++Ken++

carpe diem!
cvchandler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 09:11 PM

My personal favorite is Puerto Adolfo Lopez Mateos for beautiful sand at nearby La Florida. Of course Isla Espiritu Santo and Partida is right up there. Thanks for your message my friend!
Charlie
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2009 at 10:30 PM

You can get 100ll at the GA airport in Cabo also. Lots of room and you can drive onto the ramp
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:22 AM

cvchandler, what a run with this trip and your photos as well as videos, you did a great job with your website. I liked your links for the music and I know nobody was looking at the job off videos with all of the mexican music and the ahhhhhhhhhhh dancers doing there things on the dance floor. Now, no need to rush cvchandler's site isn't going anywhere fast just a good post. Later----------------- bajafun777

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:28 AM

Very nice, you're good! Those pelican shots were very cool. Say, how far can you go on a fillup anyhoo?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 07:10 AM

Can't drive onto the ramp in Cabo anymore.
cvchandler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 07:25 AM

Thanks to all for your comments.

My tank holds 5 gallons but I usually start with a gallon or two. I burn about a gallon per hour. My airspeed is around 25 mph.

I have found this information about the GA terminal at CSL international. this page has some useful information.

http://www.caboexpo.com/cflydown.htm

"COMMENTS: A new general aviation center just south of the main terminal is now fully operational. Car rentals and transportation, as well as food and refreshments, are also available 100 yeards to the north.

This new facility is run by AMR COMBS / SACSA, a highly respected and award winning FBO from the United States, with a goal of running world-class aviation facilites in Mexico. These folks currently run facilities at San Francisco, Palm Springs, Denver and Dallas, so they know what they're doing. The Los Cabos location offers private customs and immigration facilities, meeting facilites, restrooms, a lounge and a bar (remember, no drinking within 8 feet of the yoke). This new facility takes Cabo to the next level for private aircraft. For information, contact AMR COMBS / SACSA at 011-52 (114) 2-4005 or fax at 011-52 (114)2-4000. Unicom is monitored at 129.9.

CABO SAN LUCAS AIRPORT is another option for private pilots. It is located a few miles north of Cabo San Lucas, is fully paved with a 5,000 foot runway (10 / 28), and is occupied and guarded 24 hours a day. No services."

I'm thinking I should just drive to the GA terminal at CSL and give it a try.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 08:49 AM

you need to talk to Tanya at CSL.
your situation is a bit unique. she can help.

they can't dispense into cans or sell to other than airplanes, you can't drive onto any ramps with a vehicle and buy avgas.

it is highly regulated.

you don't need 100LL - well i should say you can consider pemex magna if you can find it and add octane booster.
your flight altitude is well below the flash point for engine detonation.
give it a try.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 09:13 AM

Really enjoy looking at your pictures, and I cannot believe you took them while riding around in that thing! What fun. T

Hope you find your fuel

Diane

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 12:08 PM

charlie - if you have a handheld radio why not fly to within about 5 miles of CSL and ask for a landing clearance? then taxi/walk to the ramp and ask for fuel.

the worse they can do is deny you a landing based on AC type. Or - they'll get a kick out of it and let you do it.

Call Tonya there at the airport ops and explain. she might run some help for you.

and by the way - thanks for joining the BBP, i saw your post. your dues help support flying in mexico.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-15-2009 at 01:36 PM

My guess is that he doesn't have much range and wants to fly off the beach where he is camped.
Unless he can fly into Cabo carrying a 5 gallon can. Unlikely.
I am curious about buying cans of avgas too. So I can stash them at places I might fly too. I drive down there enough that I could stop in Ensenada and buy 5-10 gallons.
And I'm starting a new club called BajaNomad Bushpilots. Membership is free. All flying information is free. And the forum is free too!

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
charlie - if you have a handheld radio why not fly to within about 5 miles of CSL and ask for a landing clearance? then taxi/walk to the ramp and ask for fuel.

the worse they can do is deny you a landing based on AC type. Or - they'll get a kick out of it and let you do it.

Call Tonya there at the airport ops and explain. she might run some help for you.

and by the way - thanks for joining the BBP, i saw your post. your dues help support flying in mexico.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

cvchandler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 07:11 AM

Now I'm discouraged again as I read Capt. Mikes post. I figured there would be a problem. Lots of hot rodders and drug runners would like 100LL in gerry cans and they have made rules against it.

Capt Mike: I ran Premium Mexican Auto gas last year and it destroyed the same engine. I don't like that option. It cost me a lot of money. I have a high compression ratio engine and it requires 100 LL. The manufacturer states that anything else will destroy it I'm not looking to buy 5 gallons I want more like 50 gallons so flying in makes no sense. I don't have a handheld radio.

I assume that Tanya works at AMR COMBS/SACSA . As I don't have a phone I was hoping someone might call her and find out if anything could be done. I can purchase a few gerry cans to transfer fuel to my trailer so I don't need to drive my rig to the pumps.

If I have no other option maybe a couple of pilots could meet me somewhere with full tanks? As I probably have no alternative I would be willing to pay a comission. http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/puzzled.gif

:?::?:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 08:10 AM

just learned Tonya is not there. too bad - she was really special.

repeat: you can not buy avgas dispensed into tom or jerry cans anywhere in mexico.

fish buck - if you want to stash gas, fill your tanks and off load to storage containers where you want them. i have a good friend who inventories avgas to 55 gal drums not far from . he has a connection so i won't say more here.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 08:18 AM

Charlie,
Have you ever checked the runway at Los Muertos ?
I wouldn't be surprised if they keep some on hand.
Maybe bring a 6-pack and talk to the local caretaker ?

We've seen you in La Ventana before.
Good luck !
cvchandler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2009 at 09:02 AM

To anyone who would like to help me who has 50 gallons of 100LL to sell or can somehow help me get the fuel I need - please drop me an email with details.

Thanks!

Charlie

cvchandler@gmail.com
cvchandler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2009 at 03:03 PM

I have decided to change my plans. I am going to wind up this trip about 3 or 4 weeks earlier than previously planned.. With my new plans I have enough fuel on hand for the flying I want to do.
Today I met a gentleman who lives near Cabo Pulmo. He realized who I was and came back with several gallons of 100LL. We had a good discussion and I learned that even pilots with license and proof of aircraft ownership documents cannot buy gas for gerry cans in Mexico. I now have a good understanding of the situation and will plan around it in the future. Thanks for everyones input!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-25-2009 at 04:05 PM

QUESTION: why won't they sell avgas in Mexico to people who have smaller containers?? seems pretty strange to me. Anybody know??

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2009 at 04:15 PM

So you don't take those containers out to the desert and refuel the drug runner's plane... is my guess!

I wonder if CV flew his backpack plane into Los Cabos Int'l and met a family member there with his auto/ truck to 'prove' the containers were so he could refuel from his camp/ home, instead of flying to the airport each time? Or just put his backpack plane in his truck... Flying in would be more impressive, however!

[Edited on 2-25-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.