Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: On demand water heater
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 10:03 PM

BMG.....we call that the shower dance!!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Propane model works great, but looking for a booster pump to help out upstairs.

Why not move the water heater upstairs?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 10:08 PM

Where were you when we were building?????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Where were you when we were building?????

Sharky's. Where else?
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
BMG.....we call that the shower dance!!!
Nothing like the dance I did when using one of the suicide shower heads in Sonora. Standing in the spray was fine but don't touch anything metal.:o I guess the electrical ground wasn't that great, or at least not as good a ground as when you made contact with the hot water knob.

I think the world is run by C- students.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 11:18 PM

a couple of key words/issues to look for-

for gas heaters- - - pilot light vs no pilot light- less expensive models have a standing pilot light which is on all the time(burning gas 24/7), for a little more money you can get one that is electronic and will only come on when the water flow reaches a certain rate.

whole house vs point of use- "point of use" heaters are installed below a single sink. Usually can only produce a gallon or 2 a minute. "Whole house" heaters come in many sizes. Rennai, Bosch and other OD heater makers have charts to figure out what size you will need for your requirements. Good water pressure is important, so the booster pump may need to be included in your plans.

A good quality gas whole house heater will work very well. Whether it is worth the extra $$$ in your situation is up to you.

FYI- a small electric hot water tank can be turned off when residents are gone for a few days. It only takes 30-60 minutes for the tank to heat up when you return. Also, by turning the tank temperature up to a higher temperature, you will have hot water longer if you like long showers..:bounce: It will use a little more electricity to keep the tank at 125-140(very HOT), but in the temperate Baja climate, the extra electricity shouldn't be noticed.
dianaji
Senior Nomad

Mood: hungry for knowledge, simplicity, hugs and fish tacos!

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I will get the booster pump info and upload it when i get back to Rosarito, As I recall they work on demand and do a good job of keeping constant pressure in even the lowest pressure situations...

where in rosarito? do u think it would be best to get it in the san diego.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2009 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
a couple of key words/issues to look for-

for gas heaters- - - pilot light vs no pilot light- less expensive models have a standing pilot light which is on all the time(burning gas 24/7), for a little more money you can get one that is electronic and will only come on when the water flow reaches a certain rate.

whole house vs point of use- "point of use" heaters are installed below a single sink. Usually can only produce a gallon or 2 a minute. "Whole house" heaters come in many sizes. Rennai, Bosch and other OD heater makers have charts to figure out what size you will need for your requirements. Good water pressure is important, so the booster pump may need to be included in your plans.

A good quality gas whole house heater will work very well. Whether it is worth the extra $$$ in your situation is up to you.

FYI- a small electric hot water tank can be turned off when residents are gone for a few days. It only takes 30-60 minutes for the tank to heat up when you return. Also, by turning the tank temperature up to a higher temperature, you will have hot water longer if you like long showers..:bounce: It will use a little more electricity to keep the tank at 125-140(very HOT), but in the temperate Baja climate, the extra electricity shouldn't be noticed.

didn't mention this...i do not have an upstairs...it's a mobile home...also, i do not live there full time yet...only go 2x monthly for about 2 or 3 days at a time, so that should be a deciding factor also. also, do not like long showers... just enough to soap and rinse.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 01:13 AM

Home Depot in Rosarito at the Pabellon sells the units and booster pumps. They are on the same aisle. I checked prices on both sides of the border and they are cheaper in Baja....

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:32 AM

I've also heard that the hardness of the water/amt. of suspended particles in your water can spell trouble for the on-demand heaters. Is there a way of flushing them, assuming that you dont have whole house filtration before them?

At least the conventional WH are pretty easy to flush. I used my boating Salt-X dispenser for an annual flush and my conventional worked for 13 years at my full-time home in SJC. Still worked when we sold.

Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:49 AM

I've never heard of a mobile home without a built in electric water heater
dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
I've never heard of a mobile home without a built in electric water heater

it has one, however, it is not working...so, that is why i'm looking for what will work best in my situation. there is a dealer close to where i live in San Marcos who sells Rennai OD heaters...he has very good reviews...and i will call today. thanks so much for all of your help...this is such a good place to come for information!

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 08:49 AM

I'll put my 2 cents in!

I have 2 Rinnai 85S's in the states (high desert). Same location as Bill. The jury is still out. Negatives - high maintenance (clean inline filters every few months, annual flushing with vinegar), expensive. Postives - LP savings which is expensive, one nevers runs out of hot water.

Now Baja - water conditions (if aquifer is near sea - water is slightly saline), sand & solids, & water tank (high flow = high water consumption), a problem if one has a tank as I do with water trucked in. Need a boost pump for flow - power consumption (solar/batteries). Now if you live in a town with city water & such - well maybe the tankless system might be more appropriate. However, they are not cheap!

I just replaced my 30 gal LP hot water heater in Baja after 5.5 years - alot of sediment came out of it and I do drain it twice a year. Hope to get another 5 years aout of it. I'd like to hear from someone in our area (South campos - south of San Felipe) who has had the tankless system for a number of years and get feedback.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji

didn't mention this...i do not have an upstairs...it's a mobile home...

That’s another problem. They DO NOT recommend installing these units in the small hot water closet in mobile homes. (I believe it’s against code to install some of these in a MH in most places in the US, unless specifically certified as such) The small air vents on the closet door are fine for a conventional water heater but there is not enough air in there to accommodate the amount of flame an on-demand requires. If you do choose to get one, install it on an outside wall, or use a screen door on the closet. If the closet is inside the home you will have to draw air (a lot of air) into it from the outside, as the unit could potentially suck the O2 out of your MH and kill you. Read up on the codes for installing these in the US and follow them, even when in Mexico, following code can save your life.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

That’s another problem. They DO NOT recommend installing these units in the small hot water closet in mobile homes. (I believe it’s against code to install some of these in a MH in most places in the US, unless specifically certified as such) The small air vents on the closet door are fine for a conventional water heater but there is not enough air in there to accommodate the amount of flame an on-demand requires. If you do choose to get one, install it on an outside wall, or use a screen door on the closet. If the closet is inside the home you will have to draw air (a lot of air) into it from the outside, as the unit could potentially suck the O2 out of your MH and kill you. Read up on the codes for installing these in the US and follow them, even when in Mexico, following code can save your life.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

that was very helpful info...i will certainly take this into consideration...cause i wanna live! the door to the cabinet is on the outside of the MH, so are u saying that i should remove the existing door and replace it with a screen door?

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 09:40 AM

Quote:

that was very helpful info...i will certainly take this into consideration...cause i wanna live! the door to the cabinet is on the outside of the MH, so are u saying that i should remove the existing door and replace it with a screen door?

Yes, But I would talk to the dealer and see what he recommends. You may be able to just cut a lot more vents into the door to get the required square footage of "breathing room" required, I just know it's a lot.....Since he has installed some he will know the best methods. You will also have to enlarge the roof vent to something like 5"-6” in diameter; the small conventional water heater roof vent is no where near large enough.

If it is in an outside closet, or on the outside wall, it will not kill you. It's just that as MH are built differently than conventional homes, there have been issues with the units being in the living area.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 10:22 AM

If the MH is pretty much in a permanent place, why not put the waterheater, say 40 gl propane, on the outside and pipe it in. Could always put a cover/roof over it to keep it out off the weather.:?::?: Would solve any size/ventilation issues.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 10:49 AM

We opted for solar, both hot water and elec. Both are FANTASTIC

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 10:55 AM

well, i just talked to the guy that sells the OD water heaters and he recommended that, since i have a mobile home, i not get an OD and to get solar for the hot water and have it installed on the roof. he told me to go to a camping supply store and they will understand and know what i need. anyone know a place near la mision and/or rosarito?

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.