Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ARCA Pangas More History
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 05:41 PM
ARCA Pangas More History

Too much time on my hands, found this old article from June 1993. My ARCA is getting really upset sitting here in Fresno, she wants to go home.

by Capt. Patricia Miller and Capt. John Rains Mexico cruisers know and love this hard-working boat
Print This Article | Email This Article

Like most cruisers who visit Baja California, Mexico regularly, we recognize the sleek lines of a panga from a mile away. It's the workhorse boat of Mexican anglers.

We're used to seeing pangas planing out of remote coves at sunrise and seeing them being dragged high up onto rocky beaches at sunset.

But we were surprised to see a panga being trailered north behind a small RV on a freeway near Seattle. As we let the trailer pass us, we noticed its license-plate bracket, which read: "My other boat is a panga."

As more luxury motoryachts ply the Mexican coast, buying a panga to serve as a tender or fishing skiff has taken on the status of a sports trophy, brought back from a South of the Border cruising adventure.

Although the panga was developed especially to serve a very narrow range of uses for very practical people, it certainly has some adaptability.

What's A Panga Meant To Do?

The original pangas -- small commercial fishing boats -- were nothing more than homemade 16 to 20 foot hollowed-out logs, equipped with crude sails.

In the early 1960s, fishermen in Guaymas began producing this motorized canoe-type fishing skiff for sale to other fishermen. Later, BOA Co. in Mazatlan also produced a round-bottom, caravel-planked version. But they were too heavy and vulnerable to be safe outside the region's protected estuaries.

In 1968, Mack Shroyer, a U.S. transplant to La Paz, began building 24 foot plywood inboard sportfishing boats for the many resort hotels from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz. His factory was a simple palm frond-topped palapa not far from the present-day Marina de La Paz, which he and his wife, Mary, operate.

Shroyer's first plywood-hull outboard boats -- what we now think of as pangas -- were commissioned by the large fishing ,/cooperativo, or cooperative, at Rancho Buena Vista on the East Cape. The 18-footers were hard-chined and had the typical V-bottom, dictated by the plywood construction.Meanwhile, the many cooperativo fishermen who worked from primitive, seasonal beach camps along Mexico's rugged Pacific coast and the Sea of Cortez needed a fishing boat that would:

* Accommodate a practical hand-start outboard engine (at that time, a 40 hp Johnson);

* Be easy to launch and retrieve through the rough surf of relatively unprotected Pacific beaches;

* Get up and plane across large swell and short, stiff chop when the hull was unburdened, as it typically was in the morning;

* When burdened, safely carry a load of about two tons of fish, gear and men back from fishing far offshore at night;

* Be light and repairable enough to be hauled up by hand onto rocky beaches;

* Be economical to produce in Mexico.

Such a tall order required Shroyer to loft his own offsets for a full-size fiberglass 18-footer, then build a plug and pull a mold to create this line of boats. Later, he lengthened the mold to build 20 and 22 foot models.

This molded, modified-V hull boat, with its large, graceful spray knockers and small strakes, eliminated the squared-off look of the plywood vessels. The new, sleeker La Paz panga was considered Mexico's biggest innovation in boat building.

"They were only six-and-a-half feet wide," Shroyer said, "which was pretty narrow for people in the (United) States, but they were terrifically adaptable for heavy seas and they had great (handling) characteristics.

"They did everything the ,/pangaderos needed them to do. The fishermen could slap some fiberglass on the bottoms themselves, after the rocky beaches chewed them up a bit. And we could produce them economically."

Shroyer's panga was so successful that he moved production into a large factory on Calle Navarro and hired about 50 employees.

In the late 1970s, the Mexican government offered a loan package to pangaderos. They could get the basic 20 or 22 foot panga, a 40 hp Johnson outboard, a fuel tank and nets for about $2,500. That's not much different from what a panga hull sells for today: anywhere from $1,500 to $2,700.

Another 600 pangas were built because of that loan program, Shoyer recalled. From that time on, hundreds of remote beaches were no longer inaccessible to local anglers.Small groups of pangaderos often moved their families out to rustic base camps, moving them frequently so they could follow the seasonal harvests of shark, seabass, lobster, abalone and other sea life.

Water had to be brought out in plastic tanks to the makeshift camps, and their catches had to be taken in to the fishing cooperatives to be iced. Pangas were just about the only modern convenience the anglers enjoyed.

"By the time you were a veteran fisherman in Baja (California) or the (Mexican) mainland, you had developed a great appreciation for what the panga fishermen could do with their little boats," Shroyer said. So, many U.S. boaters decided they wanted pangas of their own.

Of the 3,000 pangas Shroyer built during the 1970s and early 1980s, he estimated that about 300 were bought by U.S. fishermen. Most of the West Coast owners usually trailered them down to Mexico to fish. But people who lived farther away often kept their pangas in storage in Mexico.

Many others said they were using their pangas in remote areas of Alaska and British Columbia, where marinas were scarce as hens' teeth, and where conditions were at least as rugged as those the Mexican pangaderos experienced.

Panga Production Today

In 1982, Shroyer sold his boat building business to his employees, who quickly sold it to a group of La Paz investors. They became know as Embarcaciones ARCA and continued building from the panga molds and the inboard sportfisher molds.

Four years ago, two of Shroyer's original employees, Lupe Diaz and Lupe Diaz Jr., split off from the ARCA group to open their own shop that would concentrate on building pangas.

The large new Embarcaciones Diaz factory -- located on the edge of La Paz, next to the Coca-Cola warehouse on the road to Los Planos -- has 30 full-time employees. The company specializes in building 23, 25 and 26 foot pangas.

Besides the classic or commercial panga, which is produced at a rate of 20 per month, Embarcaciones Diaz has designed and built several more luxurious versions with sport anglers in mind, called "Super Pangas." They include a 25 foot cuddy cabin model and a new 23 foot walk-around version. The company sold 70 Super Pangas last year.

Lupe Diaz the younger, who runs the shop, said he turns out the standard commercial panga in one week, but he needs about six weeks to build one of his custom sportfishing pangas ,/al gusto, meaning "as you like."The updated, upgraded and upscale pangas that Diaz and ARCA are turning out today are a far cry from the first ones, yet they still feature the basic design Shroyer found so successful. And both La Paz companies can finish individual boats to their clients' custom specifications.

Sturdy floor boards with non-skid surfaces are the greatest improvement over older models. Center consoles with modern controls, rigid windshields and electronics boxes are available optionally, as are Bimini tops, roll-down plastic windows and padded bench seats.

A ,/cubierto package includes wide, flat gunwales with rod holders, a raised deck forward with anchor locker and gear storage underneath, and a hefty bow rail. Fighting chairs and the latest outboard engines also are available add-ons. With all the comforts and upgrades, these boats can cost up to $16,000.

Not All Pangas Are Mexican

Several U.S. boat builders have toyed with production pangas, but few have succeeded. Today, North American Skiffs of Otay Mesa, California, a suburb of San Diego, is one of the few U.S. panga builders.

Greg Bain, the company's owner, got started building boats while working for San Diego's South Bay Boat Works 15 years ago. He's been with San Diego-based Knight & Carver Custom Yachts for the past 10 years.

Bain said he got interested in pangas when he "tricked one out as a nice skiff for a luxury yacht." The owner had fallen in love with pangas after spending several seasons cruising in Mexico.

Bain soon was smitten, as well. He's built six customized pangas so far, ranging from 16 to 22 feet.

Recently, Bain wanted a wider boat for himself, so he cut a 16 foot mold in half and widened it by almost 13 inches. He said that has increased the boat's stability.

Among other accessories, Bain has designed a 35 gallon bait tank for the forward half, which balances the boat and helps the hull plane faster, he claims. Another Bain innovation is a "shoe" or flat bottom to the boat's "beach-able" keel.

Shroyer, Diaz and Bain have all tested new diesel outboards on various lengths of pangas, and they suggest that diesel outboard power seems ideal for this design. In fact, they see no end in sight for possible innovations to pangas.

While Mexico's tough little boat was originally designed with a narrow range of specific uses in mind, the humble panga seems to hold few limits to its adaptability, no matter where

it's built.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article first appeared in the June 1993 issue of Sea Magazine. All or parts of the information contained in this article might be outdated.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 07:10 PM

I've been in Boas, Mag bay flat bottomed pangas, Shroyer and Diaz boats. I have a Shroyer 22'8" La Paz original and even though I just have a 55 HP motor with tiller, not a side or center console for this area of East Cape it is a perfect design. The San Carlos skiffs are spine crushers and the new Diaz step chines can be lifted and tossed about in a chop that will pass quietly under my semi flat chine and hull. Mine slides way up the beach when I come back and at 22 feet won't easily round up or down in big seas. As far as I'm concerned it is the most stable, safest fishing platform for wide smooth bays like Palmas Bay and others on the SOC side.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 09:52 PM

I have a question; Our panga is a Paceno. It's stamped on the back and I think it also says La Paz on it.
I've always wondered about the name. Can you guys tell me if it's another builder that's not mentioned in the article, or is Paceno a style of panga that was made by Shroyer or Diaz, etc. ?

Thanks,
P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 07:37 AM

I think Paceno must be what model/mold the boat came from. Mine is an ARCA Eskibot but I've been told it is from a Shroyer mold. The factura is from 2/89.
cantinflas
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 08:41 AM

I wonder why the diesel outboards never took off?
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 10:02 AM

My panga says ARCA USA

I'm under the impression that some pangas were specifically made for the "gringo" market.

The serial number on my indicates it was made in Dec 1984 and was the 9th one made of that type/design.

It has front raised deck with big gas tank, nice center counsel, double seat and storage units behind counsel, nice rear (near motor) storage unit.

Anyway I've always wondered what the "USA" meant if anything.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cantinflas
I wonder why the diesel outboards never took off?

Probably too loud and heavy.

But I really think that may have been a misprint. I think he meant inboard and there are ones being made.

Robertofox
Junior Nomad

Mood: One more for the ditch !

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 02:09 PM

I bought a Panga out of Ensenada back in 2005. Had it made to my spec's but changed it when I used it for a while. It's a 23' Center Console with a Yamaha 90 two stroke. Cruises at 25 with a top speed of 32 mph. Good ride in rough water but I still leave the rough waters alone. Just good to know it can handle it. I ordered it through Aqua-Marine on Second Ave in Ensenada. The shop is just as you turn inland on Hwy 3 to Tecate out of North Ensenada. Looks like they just expanded too this last year. The builder is a guy (I forgot his name) who use to help design and make Stingari boats. It's a good Panga for Mexico's standards. I enjoy it and I'm sure it will out live me!!!

Happy Trails....
BajaDove
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 04:31 PM

Paceno is what people from La Paz are called.

The Diesel Outboard were Yamaha's only like 13HP and worked very well, I think why they didn't take off was that they were stolen as fast as you could put one on. Really wonder were they went and how they held up.

wiley

If its not where it is, its where it isn\'t.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 04:38 PM

13 horsepower pushing a 22 foot fiberglass panga?

I guess one wasn't outrunning any weather with this setup.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 05:01 PM

Here is a shot of our 1982 "Mac" 22' Panga out of LaPaz..
Same specs for gas tank (160 ltr under the deck) center console, raised upper deck for overnight sleeping (including a bow tent), and rear storage box below the motor.

This boat was made for the Cortez, and has fished from Kino Bay down to below La Paz..all by water.

LaTijereta.50K.jpg - 47kB

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 05:51 PM

Hook

Lots of torgue,pitch,size They did real well.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 06:20 PM

OK.

What was the top speed with one of those?

Fishing is a bit more pleasant when you can get to the fishing grounds in a reasonable time. Sometimes the bite can be 10-20 miles farther than the day before.

I cant imagine a 13 horse engine pushing these boats much more than 8-10 knots, maybe less.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 06:51 PM

From what I remember they performed as well as the Evinrude 55.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 08:20 AM

Back in 2004, I got a letter from Mr. Chuck, a long time East Cape resident who knew as much as anybody about the Diaz Pangas.
The first pangas were made in Mazatlan and it was this factory that Max Shoyer bought and brought to La Paz. One of those families was Lupe Diaz. When they reworked the molds, all Arca pangas were 22 feet long. The Arca super panga had it's gas tank up front in a compartment in front of the console. They made plain jane net and fishing type boats up to and including full blown luxury type super pangas. They made a 16', 18', 20' and a 24' on special order, but according to Lupe, they never promoted these lengths since the 22' rode the waves in the Sea of Cortez so well.
In 1989 Lupe Diaz and families left the Arca factory nd went out on their own and started making his newly re-designed 23' panga in the new La Paz factory which was financed by the American Terry Maas, who was living in Loreto at the time. The new designed panga is over a foot longer and 9 inches wider and you could put an Arca panga inside of the Diaz panga. The Diaz panga really took over the market sharewith the newer panga as it ran better, carried more, was more economical to use, and cost about the same. Lupe also started making 20', 23', and 25" super-pangas. The 23'SuperPanga, which became the most famous super panga in Mexico has it's gas tank in the floor under the center console. Lupe built these boats in La Paz until 1996, when a labor union strike closed him up and ran him out of business. In 1999, he re-opened at Los Barrilles, behind the Palmas De Cortez hotel and then he went into business with one of the Van Wormer sons and the boats were then called Van-Diaz Pangas and they opened up a new facility on Hwy #1 at KM post #49. While the Diaz panga is by far the better panga, there were some great Arca super pangas with higher gunnel sides.
In all of Mexico, copying is a great tribute, and panga builders started springing up all over. Cuidad Consitution made one as well as San Felipe Tony Reyes, Ensenada, Mazatlan, Guadalajara, etc., etc.,
The Arca factory was bought out and the molds were used by a lumber dealer in La Paz for awhie but they went out of business and the molds are no longer functional as they have deteriorated beyond repair.

pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 10:08 AM
Peceno Pangas

My Panga came from La Paz in 1980. I still have the origanal paper work. Just cant figure out how to make it big when I post it?

[Edited on 2-27-2009 by pangamadness]

Peceno 2.jpg - 6kB
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 2-27-2009 at 10:16 AM
Trying to make the photo bigger

Peceno.jpg - 17kB
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2009 at 11:40 AM

Is there any way you can enlarge this some more???
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2009 at 06:04 PM

You got to host it elsewhere. Try photobucket.

WayneS

[*] posted on 2-28-2009 at 06:28 PM

My wife and I took an anniversary vacation some few years ago to Fiji. We were surprised to find fiberglass pangas, with Yamaha outboards, all over the islands.

Despite exaggerated claims from some fishermen of disrepute, I doubt they got there under their own power from Mexico. I don't know whether they are built in Fiji or not, but they seemed quite successful there.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.