Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Populations of Baja Calif
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 03:16 PM
Populations of Baja Calif

A little more of population history of Lower California.
"Lower California, Natural Resources" E. W. Nelson, Government

Printing Office, Wahsington, 1922

According to the census of 1910. the population of the entire

peninsula was about 32,600 inhabitants, of which the northern

district held 9,760 and the southern district about 22,840.
Northern District - Tijuana, 273; Mexicali, 462; Ensenada, 2,

170; El Alamo, 307; San Quintin, 141; El Rosario, 359; Calamalli,

Southern District - Santa Rosalia, 3,807; Mulege, about 750; San

Ignacio, 793; La Purisima, 609; Comondu, 1,050; Providencia, 1,

653; Purgatorio, 2,057; La Soledad, 1,551; Magdalena Bay, 144;

Todo Santos, 1,141; La Paz, 5,536; Triunfo, 2,341; San Jose del

Cabo, 1,397.

During the last few years the population of the northern district

of Lower California has fluctuated greatly, owing to rapidly

changing conditions and especially to the great agricultural

development which has taken place on the delta plain of the

Colorado, tributary to Mexicali. According to the best

information I can obtain from people personally familiar with the

northern district the population in 1919 was approximately 16,000

distributed mainly as follows:
Municipality of Mexicali (September) 12,00
Tijuana 300
Tecate, and adjacent ranches 500
Ensenada 2,000
San Quintin 85
El Rosario 500
Calmalli 300

The municipality of Mexicali includes all of the agricultural section of northern Lower California. It's population is at a maximum during the cotton-picking season, in the fall when it reaches a total of about 12,000. Of this number about 5,000 are Chinese and 300 to 400 are Japanese. The bulk of the remaining population is Mexican. Apparently owing to the development of labor difficulties, Governor Cantu, on September 10, 1919, issued an official decree prohibiting Asiatic immigration into the northern district of the peninsula.

About 600 Indians are rported to remain in northern Lower California, livingin small scattered rancherias and isolated ranches.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 04:21 PM

I see you like the book!! All kinds of neat stuff in there........was Governer Cantu related to Colonel Cantu who built the first road up the Rumorosa Grade? I think they called it the Cantu Grade in the 30's and you can still see the dirt road today as you fly up the new toll road.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 06:23 PM
Cantu

One and the same - they credit his 6 year term as govenor as really pulling Baja forward. He commissioned the road among other things. He acted with what he thought best without regard for Mexico City almost like a seperate country. I think some of that thinking remains today.

And yes, I'm really enjoying it. Read it clear thru once and am now going back for more details. As the introduction says, besides being a great scientist, he also was a good writer - which makes the whole 171 8 1/2 X 11 pages readable.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 07:17 PM
South to north...

Grover....

Remember that the colonization of Baja was from south to north, and therefore, today's towns were in the past great points of reunion and gathering....

On the ther hand, Tijuana is just over 100 years olders and El Rosario, was founded very much long ago....

Just imagine Baja 200 years ago. What a great expedition could have been travelling around unknown places, barely known to humans...

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 07:16 AM
Labor

One thing I found interesting is the problem with "forign" labor leading to the decree prohibiting Asiatic imigration. Anybody heard of anything like that in the USA lately?

No Bad Days

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 07:35 AM
100 years ago

There are many places in Baja that are still the same as they were then.
A few changes have been made like solar panels supplied by the Mexican government for electricity in the rural areas.
But, most everything is the same as it was. For those interested, you might try spending some time in El Triunfo to get a feel for thr past. It's not rural, primitive, or anything like the ranchos but it is the most historic feeling place I have ever been. Even more so than Death Valley.
Also, there are many places in the Sierra de la Gigantas that haven't changed much at all.
These places will be short lived because of the progress and development now taking over Baja so you had better hurry.
And I am serious.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 07:41 AM
And speaking of foreigners,

There are three seperate cemetaries in the foreground of that picture. Sorry about the quality! One is for the Chinese labor, one is for the Europeans, and the other for the Mexicans.
No Mestizos in Heaven ?:lol:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 12:50 PM
Tijuana 1920

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 12:51 PM
Fort Tijuana 1910

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 09:38 PM

Great stuff JESSE! Why leave, indeed?!

JR, have you seen Jack Swords' pictures at El Triunfo? Here are some of Jack's (non-mission) photos, including El Triunfo: http://community-2.webtv.net/drdrip/swords

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 07:00 AM
Thanks David

I was headed into that area when my rear leaf springs broke. I heard about a secret road going somewhere but never made it that far. This time!
There is so much going on in that area I had to move to San Bartolo just so I could be closer to the sites.:lol:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 07:54 PM
El Triunfo surprises

El Triunfo was the largest silver mine mill south of CA mother lode. It started in 1862, had 36 stamp mills in operation in 1874 and flooded out in 1916. It shipped $50,000 of silver bullion per month. Just south is San Antonio's silver mining operation started by Manuel de Ocio in 1748. Ocio's house is still in the area. The attached photo is of the streambed in El Triunfo and one can see that the bank is made of the hammers or stamps from the stamp mill. This town is full of discoveries if you wander around. I hope JR you get time to explore it. Hope to see you when we get down this winter.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 09:19 PM
As evidence of the history Jack is referring to

How much do you think it cost for this puppy to be shipped from New York to La Paz and then up to El Triunfo? Those miners knew how to keep peace in the family, that's for sure.:lol:
I'm sure the Steinways were a lot less expensive then though. According to a fan of pianos here on BajaNomad, this one may have been shipped to La Paz to
a Mrs. Vicki Esparza in 1885.
I will be checking the graveyard there for names as this has turned into a fascinating story for me.
Mucho Historia in them thar hills !
I also hear there was a substantial amout of gold coming out of there too.

Jack, it would be an honor to meet you when you come down. Let me know when you are coming and I will make a point of it for sure. J.R.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 07:18 AM
JR: Bamboo, Sordo Mudo

JR: Has Rancho Sordo Mudo (from Guadalupe Valley) moved down to San Bartolo? They were planning on it. Also, try to contact Patricio or Nannette in Todos Santos as they can steer you to growing stands of Black bamboo for you to propagate. Beautiful!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 07:26 AM
Thank you Jack

I actually picked up my first loads from Todos Santos although it wasn't black bamboo. Which I am definitely looking to get planted.
I found some other areas that have much healthier bamboo than Todos but next time down, I will be looking them up for the other varieties. Gracias.
I haven't heard a thing about Sordo Mundo moving down there and am pretty sure they haven't, unless it's one of the huge land deals that just happened up above where I'm at. I will investigate.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 11:23 AM

Jr, did you ever get the serial numbe from the Steinway? Here's how it looked new, I just know it... Bob H

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 03:43 PM
From Population to Pianos?

Hey, how did we get from the population of Baja California to Pianos? In 1857, San Jose del Cabo was the most populous community in Baja California.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 04:03 PM
Populations and pianos

Sorry, got carried away. I thought the dead people in that grave yard might be included in the populations thread.
And then it turned into what to some is interesting as far as the population of El Triunfo and the money they were bringing out of there (thus, the Steinway).
Didn't mean to interrupt whatever and wherever YOUR thread was going.:lol:
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 06:54 PM
Not a problem

Not a problem.:lol:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 08:10 PM

Anybody know the story behind the founding of that music museum? El Triunfo seems an odd place for this sort of thing.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.