Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Snorkeling in San Felipe Area
Festus
Junior Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 03:48 PM
Snorkeling in San Felipe Area

Going to San Felipe for a week in April. I know the better snorkeling spots are further South...but are there any spots worth checking out in the San Felipe area? What about within a couple hours drive? I have a 12 year old son and 16 year old daughter. We have done some snorkeling in Australia and New Zealand but not in Mexico.

Any problems with sting rays in the San Felipe area? I read the thread on sting rays from 2006 but couldn't tell if they are in the sand closer to SF. Anything else we should watch out for in and around SF?

Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven\'t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven\'t learned anything.

Muhammad Ali
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 05:21 PM

If it has been windy (as the case is for anywhere) the diving conditions will not be too clear in and around San Felipe. Because the sea floor is mostly sand it is a little boring too.

You need some structure like Puertocitas has to offer which is 50 miles south of San Felipe and is nicely paved all the way. There is a lot more structure there and structure means fish to observe.

The water will still be cool in April, like just getting to 70, get some cheap spring (wet) suits to be comfortable.

We will be there a couple of times in April so give us a shout when you have your dates set and come on by if you like.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 05:23 PM

Stingrays are found in sandy areas all over. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. We always utilize the stingray shuffle until we have thoroughly scoped out a place and even then we make a habit of it. I have 47 years experience in the waters of Baja and So Cal (surf,skim,swim,fish) and have NEVER been hit by a stingray. My brother-in-law in half that time has been hit four times including one where the stinger broke off in the bone in the top of the foot and required surgical removal. His description of the pain involved is enough to keep me doing the shuffle.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 06:37 PM

Stingrays are big in Bahia de los Angeles, in April... Rattlesnakes too... everywhere in April!

However, I have never seen a stingray on the all sand beaches near San Felipe we camp at... Shell Island (Laguna Percebu area). In my 45 years of Baja trips, never been 'hit' by a stingray, either. Lot's of trips in April (Spring Break) too!

Also, as noted above... NOTHING to see in the north Gulf... sand bottom, and the water is not real clear. Puertecitos and south (rocks, clear water) will be more interesting.

I would recommend La Gringa, on the north end of Bahia de los Angeles! Gravel beach... muy clear water!

[Edited on 3-3-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Festus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
If it has been windy (as the case is for anywhere) the diving conditions will not be too clear in and around San Felipe. Because the sea floor is mostly sand it is a little boring too.

You need some structure like Puertocitas has to offer which is 50 miles south of San Felipe and is nicely paved all the way. There is a lot more structure there and structure means fish to observe.

The water will still be cool in April, like just getting to 70, get some cheap spring (wet) suits to be comfortable.

We will be there a couple of times in April so give us a shout when you have your dates set and come on by if you like.

My son and I have 3/4 wetsuits. We used to snorkel in cold water near Sydney so that shouldn't be a problem. We will be in SF from 4/11 through 4/18. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge...very helpful.

Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven\'t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven\'t learned anything.

Muhammad Ali
Festus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2009 at 11:43 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this information. Exactly what I needed to know.

Muhammad Ali

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.