Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: NEW ROAD in the Sierra San Pedro Martir foothills
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 04:25 PM

I would love to have you join us anytime!

The love of Baja is what this forum is about...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

56MM#
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 02:44 PM

Looks like I will finally have the opportunity to check out this new road. Two of us will be heading down that way 5-8 June.

Has anyone done this road yet? Also, looks like there are some roads and washes east of El Bateque and El Sauce de Carter on the western slopes of SSPM. Anyone know if these roads are passable and if the area is worth exploring? And given that neither of us prefers to camp, is El Rosario the best place to get a motel? San Quintin has always given me a creepy feeling.

Or perhaps there is a better use of our time. We will have two full days to four wheel and can probably squeeze some off roading in the morning of 8 June before we head north.

Given a choice between crossing at Tecate or Otay Mesa around sunset, what is the better way to get back to San Diego?

Appreciate any and all replies.
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 03:38 PM

If I were in your shoes I'd go adventuring in the areas you mentioned after Mary Jane cultivation/ harvest season is over...oh yea, watch for cascabeles!!!

Everytime I have hiked/packed the SSPM area I have always met the critters. Late spring is wake-up time and they aren't usually in a good mood then!

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 03:52 PM

Tecate is my northbound crossing point of choice.

The huge washout rains of January, 2010 may have had an impact on the back country roads.

I hope you get through and please take several photos of the road as it progresses east, then south to where-ever you return to the highway!

Thank you very much!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 03:53 PM

Sorta having a brain fart here. Isn't there a couple developing a "resort" up there catering to folks who are into stargazing? Seem to recall they have a web site. Just cannot recall the name.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Sorta having a brain fart here. Isn't there a couple developing a "resort" up there catering to folks who are into stargazing? Seem to recall they have a web site. Just cannot recall the name.

That would be astrobaja. The website is:

Baja Dark Skies Inn

[Edited on 5-13-2011 by BajaGringo]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2011 at 04:01 PM

Muchas Gracias.
56MM#
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 09:48 AM

Thanks guys. Will take plenty of pictures and watch for rattlesnakes.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 05:35 PM

This sounds like prime Baja campout country! :bounce: I was talking to my friend Mikey Mike this weekend, and he plans on getting his passcard to return to Baja.

If I have a chance this summer, I will be up for a week of camping in this Sierra region of Baja.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 07:42 PM

Ken we need to do a trip down the pacific coast so we can do a report on the best fishing and surfing spots. People want to know where they are and we should tell them. The heck with woody.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 08:17 PM

I have been dying to get back up to the Sierra San Pedro Martir park. It has been 10 years since I drove a Ford Ranger up into the woods there, and had to hike out. Moral of the story???

Plus, with the route leading to the Kiliwas Native American sites and the Mision de Sierra San Pedro Martir makes this an interesting one. I am tentative at best at the moment, but that will change in the next month. In other words, I cannot plan just yet.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I have been dying to get back up to the Sierra San Pedro Martir park. It has been 10 years since I drove a Ford Ranger up into the woods there, and had to hike out. Moral of the story???

Buy a Toyota?

:lol::lol::lol:

DK paid me to say that...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:
Moral of the story???

Buy a Toyota?

:lol::lol::lol:

DK paid me to say that...

In 2001, David K probably told me to do this! Here we are back in '01 on Shell Island.

Amigos de Baja:bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2011 at 10:05 PM

Yup... that was my first Tacoma... what a great truck... never a failure or breakdown in the 136,000 miles/ 5 years I had it!

Neal Johns was who instructed me to get a Tacoma... I listened!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:50 PM

Anyone up for a trip along this route 4th of July weekend?

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:

Plus, with the route leading to the Kiliwas Native American sites and the Mision de Sierra San Pedro Martir makes this an interesting one. I am tentative at best at the moment, but that will change in the next month. In other words, I cannot plan just yet.

The flatbed trailer is still available my friend...maybe I should pull it down south and stage it for you? Lol

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Quote:

The flatbed trailer is still available my friend...maybe I should pull it down south and stage it for you? Lol

That is very funny Tim :lol: He went from a Ranger to a Jeep, so the trailer will indeed be good to have available! :light:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull

Ouch! That hurts...:smug:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 08:02 AM

Ken---you probably know this already but in the last ten years many of those SPM roads have been closed...just in case you were wanting to explore. We used to have a blast up there when we had free reign of all the roads...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Ken---you probably know this already but in the last ten years many of those SPM roads have been closed...just in case you were wanting to explore. We used to have a blast up there when we had free reign of all the roads...

I've been down several of these "closed" routes in the past. The Rangers have told me that gates have been erected to keep out people who enjoy setting fire to the forest.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.