Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: NEW ROAD in the Sierra San Pedro Martir foothills
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 09:52 AM

We went past the gate across the Blue Bottle road, someone reported us and the Rangers were trying to decide how to punish us....heh, until I gave him some nice cigars. So do you ask permission ahead of time?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
We went past the gate across the Blue Bottle road, someone reported us and the Rangers were trying to decide how to punish us....heh, until I gave him some nice cigars. So do you ask permission ahead of time?

The first web page I made to show off another's photos was this one, from 11 years ago (Ken's photos in San Pedro Martir Park): http://www.vivabaja.com/kensbaja/index.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 11:22 AM

Quote:

what did you not understand about the signed gate? it is pretty clear that the park is managed, so makes me wonder what ego or brain disfunction makes one violate the gates and signs...

perhaps the park staff need to be encouraged to increase fines. perhaps confiscation of violating vehicles would provide the park the much needed revenue to pay for more rangers to patrol for marooons like ken mexitron!

"but ranger rick, the sign/gate doesn't apply to gringos. we are americans! we can do what we want! F your national park, we don't care about your stupid rules!" said meximarooon and kennyjeep

[Edited on 5-21-2011 by mtgoat666]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 12:39 PM

The gate had been torn out of the ground...many times...and we were on a mission to lay a good friend's ashes to rest; he had been coming to The San Pedro Martir since the 1950s and was a favorite, should I say sacred, destination of his...sometimes you have to bend the rules. In fact, what I didn't mention was that mostly got us off the hook was when I told the guard what we were doing out there and whose ashes they were---his eyes lit up---he remembered Myron quite fondly as someone who was always nice and always brought the guards a gift on the way in to the park. "Que puede passar senor." Get a life, goat.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 01:39 PM

How wonderful of you Steve!

Goat, in your thinking, man is the alien on this planet and keeping man from seeing, traveling, enjoying the land is your goal (except the places you want to go to, naturally).

There are plenty of people who, because of age (too young or too old), time limits, or physical handicaps, cannot hike all the places they want to see. What one man has the right to tell another where he can go on public or open land?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 02:02 PM

Quote:

You invite a Ranger to ride along. That way, someone has the keys.:light:

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 02:24 PM

Superb find, David!

Back in the 60's and 70's all we had for maps were what was available from the Auto Club. No Googleearth, no almanac. Vague ideas from reading someone else's Baja books.
You, Ken Mexitron, as well as others on this board are doing a more advanced trail riding than we did at that time.
All of you really have your chit together much better than we did back in those days.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 02:57 PM

Quote:

You are supposed to ask permission. These gates were placed to keep the local people out who have been prone to setting fires to the forest for fun. I have gone to the Ranger station and offered to give the guys a ride along the routes for sightseeing purposes, and they would ride along to check for anything out of the ordinary or possible smouldering fires.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 03:29 PM

I neglected to mention earlier...

Lowrance has a new GPS geared toward BAJA travel. I'll give a report after my trip South this coming December.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-Elite-5M-Baja-Off-Road-G...

[Edited on 5-21-2011 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 03:41 PM

Doesn't sound like it has much detail maps for Baja.

"The Lowrance Elite 5M Baja comes pre-loaded with global basemap with major roads and with this detail it is perfect for your dune buggy, offroad truck or Jeep"

Might have to get Bicmaps or LB maps for the detail trails etc.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 03:42 PM
Picacho Diablo, San Felipe, Sea of Cortez and Tijuana

Tijuana the dog is standing in front of the world's ONLY ceramic mosaic of Picacho Diablo Mtn. The steps are still for sale, woohoo!:bounce:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

You are supposed to ask permission. These gates were placed to keep the local people out who have been prone to setting fires to the forest for fun. I have gone to the Ranger station and offered to give the guys a ride along the routes for sightseeing purposes, and they would ride along to check for anything out of the ordinary or possible smouldering fires.

Good to know...
56MM#
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 10:27 AM

The time has come to explore the road east of Nueva York and pick up where we left off 10 years ago. Looks like we will be leaving Sunday and returning Wednesday. We plan to depart Sunday late morning and drive to El Rosario. Monday and Tuesday would be devoted to exploring the area, starting at the intersection of Hwy 1 and the road east to Nueva York (just north of San Quintin centro). Plan to drive north Wednesday and cross at Otay Mesa.

It appears that our best option for lodging and staging is the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario. Have read only positive comments about this motel.

Some questions:

- Do we need reservations, or is it OK to just show up?
- How late is Baja Cactus open?
- What's the best time to cross at Otay Mesa? IAW, should we head north early Wednesday and arrive at the border early afternoon, or should we not get to the border until the evening (and spend more time in Mexico!)

All advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to David K for finding this road.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 56MM#
Some questions:

- Do we need reservations, or is it OK to just show up?
- How late is Baja Cactus open?
- What's the best time to cross at Otay Mesa? IAW, should we head north early Wednesday and arrive at the border early afternoon, or should we not get to the border until the evening (and spend more time in Mexico!)

All advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to David K for finding this road.

I wish I was going...Baja Cactus is a very nice Motel. Vastly superior to Mama Espinoza's Motel. The lobby is open 24/7. It helps if you speak Spanish, or Google Translate your questions in advance, if you have any at the time of check-in. Their email address is: info@bajacactus.com

Baja Cactus will only hold your reservation until 7 p.m. on the particular day that you reserve your room. Be sure to have $cash$ for your transactions.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 05:37 PM

I suggest the motel phone number and make your reservation directly... If nobody speaks English (rare) then call back again. The number is on the web site home page http://www.bajacactus.com
You can try emailing them at motel@bajacactus.com (the other email Ken gave may also work, but that is Antonio's email and he is not very good at responding to it. Dealing with Pemex demands most of his time.

I suggest you return through Tecate... just a few more miles east of Otay, but half the wait... They do close from 11 pm to 5 am however.

Please take many photos along the road and record the mileages, if you don't mind! I wish I could go!!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2011 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I suggest the motel phone number and make your reservation directly... If nobody speaks English (rare) then call back again.

After you call, if you are not understood in English, or Spanish by the receptionist - it is not you. :?:

56MM#
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 08:10 AM

Thanks guys. Will post report and pictures after we return.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 12:26 PM

Baja was once all wide open territory where could almost explore at will. The reality of today is that landowners are growing tired of dealing with trash, noise, dust and drug growers/transporters. Offroad racing events are a lot of fun but if beer cans, trash and baby diapers are left scattered behind after folks go back home, I suspect that there will even more locked gates appearing in the near future.

I know of more than one expressing these very concerns.

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by BajaGringo]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Baja was once all wide open territory where could almost explore at will. The reality of today is that landowners are growing tired of dealing with trash, noise, dust and drug growers/transporters. Offroad racing events are a lot of fun but if beer cans, trash and baby diapers are left scattered behind after folks go back home, I suspect that there will even more locked gates appearing in the near future.

I know of more than one expressing these very concerns.

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by BajaGringo]

So so true... and I don't blame the ranchers one bit!

It was a shock to see the mountains of beer bottles just left on the ground by all the 'local' spectators as they left with their empty pick up trucks following the race... that was in 2003. I hope deposits and other such incentives will cause them to take out what they bring in, or intice others to come in and pick up... Chris and I filled an extra trash bag before we left. http://vivabaja.com/500

[Edited on 6-5-2011 by David K]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2011 at 07:21 AM

"The reality of today is that landowners are growing tired of dealing with trash, noise, dust and drug growers/transporters"

When I was in the area 3-4 years ago, I saw many signs on the barbed wire fences that pertained to No Motorcycles, No Trespassing. We would be driving slowly to be able to sightsee, and there they were - 3 or 4 noisy motorcycles going as fast as they could down the dirt road like it was their personal race track. These riders also are to blame for tracks and erosion all over hills and anywhere they think they can go. Pests.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.