Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: When to get the FM3
grace59
Senior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 3-9-2009 at 05:55 AM
When to get the FM3

My husband and I own a lot in San Felipe and want to begin building our home. It is my understanding that it is necessary to have an FM3 before doing this or we will have no rights in a contract dispute etc. Others have told us to wait until the house is finished, to wait until we are ready to actually live there and to not even bother. For those of you who have FM3s or no the requirements, when should we apply for the FM3s? I certainly know that I do want to have them when we are there longer term. Just trying to do what is right :saint: It's just hard to figure out exactly what that is.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 06:28 AM

I would get it now.

Find someone in your area who is recommended as an FM-3 "broker" and use their services, at least for the first time.
It may cost a small fee, but is far easier and quicker

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 07:03 AM

I agree with bajaguy. There are a few here that never went the FM-3 route and haven't had any troubles. If you do get one, get it during the time of year you plan on being down every year. The renewal period is the same every year and it is nice to be here and not have to make a special trip to renew. There is a fine if you miss the time period specified for renewal. But in the long run you'll be glad you started the process early.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 07:36 AM

On the other hand, if you find a Mexican Consular office in the United States that you find easy to deal with ....

Such as the office in San Diego, for instance.

You can then apply for and receive your FM3 there and renew it there each year.

A note here: This will preclude eventually applying for Mexican citizenship.

Have it entry/exit stamped at the border or at the airport and simply forgo the address registration stuff in Mexico. Otherwise they will require you to reapply all over again.

CaboRon

dianaji
Senior Nomad

Mood: hungry for knowledge, simplicity, hugs and fish tacos!

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:18 AM

i went to the consulate office in san diego and was told that i needed to get it in tijuana. perhaps it's a new thing???

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
On the other hand, if you find a Mexican Consular office in the United States that you find easy to deal with ....

Such as the office in San Diego, for instance.

You can then apply for and receive your FM3 there and renew it there each year.

A note here: This will preclude eventually applying for Mexican citizenship.

Have it entry/exit stamped at the border or at the airport and simply forgo the address registration stuff in Mexico. Otherwise they will require you to reapply all over again.

CaboRon

I believe you have to renew at the location in Mexico where you show residence. You can apply for an new one each year at a consulate in the US, but not renew an existing one. And if it isn't registered at your location in Mex. what good is it?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:33 AM

You can't enter into a contract or have rights, let alone protect them, if you arn't legal. Get it now. You'll regret not doing so later if the need arises. The sooner you start the process, the sooner it's over.
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:55 AM

Please be careful and verify the part about "renewing it every year in the US" of the post above.

My husband and I applied for our first FM3 in Orlando, FL at the MX Consulate. For four years straight thereafter, we went to the Consulate with our letter asking that our FM3 be RENEWED, along with all the necessary paperwork, fees, etc.

Each time, we got our FM3, which we thought was renewed. The last time we went, the person we met with said well you have held your FM3 for four years, you can apply for your FM2 after you have renewed the 4th time. We were NEVER told that we must renew the FM3 in MX, even though the person we always dealt with spoke very good English.

Around that same time, my friend finally applied for her FM3 in Chicago, and the person at the consulate told her, you can obtain your first FM3 here, but all renewals must be done in Mexico.

So my husband and I found out the hard way. Even though we found a great immigration person in Ensenada (Blanca Medina), upon asking her about what my friend had told me, she said that was correct. I explained our problem to her and sent her all the FM3 documents we had been given each time we "renewed". She explained to us that evidently instead of renewing the FM3, they were cancelling them and issuing a NEW FM3 each time. So she went to the main immigration official in Ensenada and provided all these documents to him, but the bottom line was, as far as MX was concerned, we had only held an FM3 for one year. So 5 years, and about $1800 later, only the last year that we thought we had renewed counted toward the 5 year period you must hold an FM3 before applying for FM2 status.

Needless to say, we were very unhappy campers, not only about the money we had thrown away, but the time we had lost...

So just beware and be certain!
Scorpimon
Junior Nomad

Mood: Irie

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 09:06 AM

Would you want to take into consideration the one time importation of household goods into the timing of getting the FM3? Isn't there a 3 or 6 month window after getting an FM3 to take advantage of moving your stuff down without importation taxes, and if grace59 got the FM3 now but built and moved to Baja in 1 one year wouldn't that exemption be lost?

I do understand all the other legal status and protection you have getting the FM3/2 when you own property in Mexico, but I was just wondering if this should be considered.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 09:30 AM

Lolita, office in the new Pemex by the circle.

Hugo, office in tthe 2 story building on the Malecon.

Lupita Mora, office next to Solar Express on Mar de Caribe Sur. (airport road)

All can handle it for you but as others mentioned, time it so it renews when you usually are in San Felipe.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

SteveD
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 09:39 AM

One requirement to getting a FM-3 is a utility bill with your name on it to show where your property is. You do not have to be living there full time. If your house is under construction you should be able to get an electric or water bill. You should get a FM-3 as soon as possible.

We use a local secretarial office (in Rosarito where our house is) to take care of all of the paperwork. In fact, they e-mailed us a couple of weeks ago to remind us that our renewal date is coming up in April and asking when we will be down next time so that they can have the paperwork ready. You can renew up to a month before the date on your FM-3.

Also, I've checked with the Los Angeles and San Diego consulate in the past and get the impression that they do not want to deal with us. The local (Rosarito) immigration office has always been great and very helpful. I think it is because the Americans getting FM-3's and FM-2's are most of the work they do and we are a major support of their local economy.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:09 AM

All very god advise formentined.
most inmortant; do in now,
do it in location you going to be
do it at a time you are always back there
have the right pictures
have a mexican utility bill in your name

Another advantage f having the FM3 is you can open a mexican bank account. Good for paying the bills.

[Edited on 3-9-2009 by Leo]

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
WayneS

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:43 AM

But those utility bills!

I hope to rent an apartment or conceivably a room or two in some other retired jubilado's house, and I find that in (seemingly) most cases the renter does not pay utility bills. Am I overlooking something, or is this a real problem?

Kind of important to me, as I want to establish a residential address and open a bank account....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:51 AM

A letter from the landlord usually takes care of the "no utility bill" situation.

No Bad Days

Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:52 AM

As Steve mentioned, get a water bill or electric bill.
If you don't have water yet, this should be your first priority before you build. Without that no FM3.
Renting somewhere won't help. The bills will be in the name of the owner.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:25 PM

You do not need a utility bill to get an FM3,

In fact you can get the FM3 without ever being in Mexico,

You only need the utility bill (in anyones name) to register your address with immigration or if you apply for the Visa while you are in Mexico. But, again having a residence is not necessary to get an FM3 .

CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Please be careful and verify the part about "renewing it every year in the US" of the post above.

My husband and I applied for our first FM3 in Orlando, FL at the MX Consulate. For four years straight thereafter, we went to the Consulate with our letter asking that our FM3 be RENEWED, along with all the necessary paperwork, fees, etc.

Each time, we got our FM3, which we thought was renewed. The last time we went, the person we met with said well you have held your FM3 for four years, you can apply for your FM2 after you have renewed the 4th time. We were NEVER told that we must renew the FM3 in MX, even though the person we always dealt with spoke very good English.

Around that same time, my friend finally applied for her FM3 in Chicago, and the person at the consulate told her, you can obtain your first FM3 here, but all renewals must be done in Mexico.

So my husband and I found out the hard way. Even though we found a great immigration person in Ensenada (Blanca Medina), upon asking her about what my friend had told me, she said that was correct. I explained our problem to her and sent her all the FM3 documents we had been given each time we "renewed". She explained to us that evidently instead of renewing the FM3, they were cancelling them and issuing a NEW FM3 each time. So she went to the main immigration official in Ensenada and provided all these documents to him, but the bottom line was, as far as MX was concerned, we had only held an FM3 for one year. So 5 years, and about $1800 later, only the last year that we thought we had renewed counted toward the 5 year period you must hold an FM3 before applying for FM2 status.

Needless to say, we were very unhappy campers, not only about the money we had thrown away, but the time we had lost...

So just beware and be certain!

You misread my post. You can renew in the US , but you will not receive credit toward an FM2 or citizenship.

Not everyone wants to be a Mexican citizen :lol:

CaboRon

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji
i went to the consulate office in san diego and was told that i needed to get it in tijuana. perhaps it's a new thing???

That is possible .... I was last there in July of 2007 ... and the big sign on the wall clearly stated that you could renew in San Diego but it would not count toware citizenship.

Perhaps there is a new consuler officer in San Diego who is putting a different spin on things.

Highly irregular, of course, from a Mexican official :lol::lol:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 01:53 PM

FM2s are not only for citizenship, but also for permanent residency. No more renewals so some find it worthwhile even if they don't want citizenship.

No Bad Days

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
FM2s are not only for citizenship, but also for permanent residency. No more renewals so some find it worthwhile even if they don't want citizenship.

Is the FM2 issued for five years then with no renewal ...

I thought there was a yearly fee associated ....

Also as of last year you can go diredtly to an FM2 without going throught an FM3 ... just went in effect last year.

If I owned property than I would probably go with the FM2 ..

CaboRon

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.