Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: mulege snook
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 02:56 PM
mulege snook

well, finally, finally we caught snook today in the river here in mulege...we've heard of big ones breaking off, we've broken off big ones ourselves, but today we actually landed three of them and released them...so there's hope for the river yet...along with the snook we also hooked and landed some really nice pargo in addition to losing many in the rocks and stumps of the river...it's a really cool catch and release fishery when it's windy out, and, as long as a local doesn't come in and net it at night,(like they did a few weeks ago), it should get better and better...gotta stress though, at this point, it should be strictly a catch and release game if we want the big dudes to be here....hopefully, beachgirl can post some pics later.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 05:18 PM

That's really good news! What were you using? I think we've got some in the San Marcos Tierra estuary but I have never seen them or caught any using crocks. It is netted regularly but with the proper lure/bait and a kayak I think I might score.
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 08:25 AM

That is so great!!! Of course, as I type the pangas are out front in the Bay with their nets, hopefully they will stay out of the river, but probably not.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 08:51 AM

Hi Mike, Good post about light tackle in the rio. Fun times, I bet.

Two Dogs and I were just yakking about fishing the river the other day. I've got a couple ultra-light spinning outfits at the ready. We are going to give the river snook and snapper a try in the next day or two. Let's share a cooler on the bank? It sounds like great fun..catch and release of course. I have a Mad Mouse that has never caught a fish..this will work in the river, as it is the right color and a floater. :rolleyes:

Last year I watched a couple kids..and a couple adults..angling from shore near Jorge's water store near the bridge. Seems they were doing pretty well and filling a couple of 5 gallon pails. Hmmm...even on an incoming tide, I am not eating any of those.

Here's a rabolo/snook...from Mag Bay, though..and they were deeelicious. Let's go back next season. Mag Bay, Abrejos, Asuncion..all good camping/fishing.

MAG BAY - SNOOK.jpg - 42kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 11:10 AM

Pomp...i'm always up for a trip to mag bay....in the river here in mulege you had better use something that floats and rip it down or you'll lose more tackle than you want to...shallow running rapalas in silver and blue best....caught two more this morning and on the second one had a monster come up and try to rip it off my line....whooooooaaaa!...roz thumped a couple of grande pargos also....a buddy said just before daylight the snook were ripping the river up so think i will be there earlier manana....bring poppers!!!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 11:34 AM

Yeah, stay on top. I dinged my prop going up the river.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 12:12 PM

Micheal, I've seen em! Look like 8-10 lbs. leaping over and over as they make there way in & out with the tides. Never caught one though. Rapalas eh!:cool: Gracias and good luck. Take a pic please!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 12:37 PM
Just the beginning

Yep, caught two snook yesterday. Not big, but our buddies across in LaFortuna say they are seeing huge ones pretty early in the morning. I want to see one, too! On my lure!

P1010401-3.JPG - 33kB
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 12:38 PM

man, that's one fine looking woman, er, fish..

Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 12:39 PM

I just scrolled back and looked at Roger's monster snook. That's what I'm talking about, baby!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 01:07 PM

Awesome, thanks!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 02:41 PM
Hey there, beachgirl..

Roz...speaking snookwise, bigger is better. If this trend continues, soon there will be ones like this caught and released from the rio at Mulege. (Robalo below was from Bayano River, Panama.)

We could be on the way to the Days of Ray Cannon! :rolleyes:

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 04:11 PM

Whoa!!!

So this proves that you should never, ever say, "I'd eat my flyrod for a fish like that!" For one like that I might consider it.

Iflyfish
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 04:53 PM

i busted off a grande snook yesterday morning that made my 8wt look like a matchstick....i thought it was a pretty skookum rod until then...time to go up a notch.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 04:57 PM

Great story!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2009 at 05:10 PM

Holy Smoke Roger! Just have to say that is one fine snook!!!! Turning green here. All I want to do now is go fishing....almost. I read alot, too.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 04:09 AM
mulegemichael y Beachgirl..

Hey guy and gal..I want to say thanks for prompting me to pursue our river fishery again. I haven't wet a line in those waters for over 30 years, but, by Neptune, there's no time like the present! One of the few blessings left from the last flood was the scouring and cleaning of the old riverbed, plus the afteraffect of bank improvement and dredging.

If it goes well from the bank this morning, I will bring some kayaks for the next outing and try it a little further up the river..where, as I am told by reliable sources, there are some deep holes that hold BIG snook. Rio kayaking would be ALMOST like canoeing a favorite river Up North as shown in the pic. Ah..the water color may be a mite different. :rolleyes:

Mike, as in the canoe photo of Felipa and I, all one needs is a good 1st mate to do the paddling while us guys do the angling, right? (Okay..just to be sure, you might wanna check that with the admiral first.)

I scrounged around in my game room and came up with some 'snook' tackle. Got lots of floating rapalas, poppers, river runts, small Mepps, and the like, then stocked this special river tackle box. I should be go to go for topwater lures.

Giant black snook, the legend says. Chance favors the prepared mind.. (but am just kidding about that huge Diawa 900 with the Cal grouper-broomstick.) Will be using ultralight gear and hopefully not lose to many lures.

Plus...I have this secret weapon I am going to try....The Mad Mouse. So good it may very well be illegal.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 05:16 AM

i got so desperate for topwater lures last night that i hacksawed the bills off of a couple of mirrolures just to see if they would skitter across the top...we'll see in the pre dawn hours this morning..

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 08:35 AM

already this morning...
out here on the bay
we heard that people

are fishing on the river by the bridge...
THIS MORNING

word travels FAST!!! :lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 10:41 AM
Uh..yes..

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
already this morning...
out here on the bay
we heard that people

are fishing on the river by the bridge...
THIS MORNING

word travels FAST!!! :lol::lol:

That was us...:rolleyes:

mulegemichael got hit on his first cast. Then it busted off. I got hit on my second cast and landed that nice little pargo.

Then on my forth cast I was hit HARD by a large snook with 'shoulders.' He bent my rod into an arc and pulled line for about 20 yards...I was turning up my drag to stop him as he made a run for a tree branch...POP! ..gone..it was a big fish.

We had a ball! Surface stuff works best..lots of snags on the bottom, tree trunks, etc. Luckily, Mike got some of his lost lures back from the other day.

Fun alternative on windy outside days.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.