Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: mulege snook
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 10:46 AM

Great stuff here! Real, live, up to date, fishing stories.

Pompano, just how many photos do you have? And, where to you keep them, file them, etc. They are always a treat.

Keep'm come'n

Bob H
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Great stuff here! Real, live, up to date, fishing stories.

Pompano, just how many photos do you have? And, where to you keep them, file them, etc. They are always a treat.

Keep'm come'n

Bob H

Thanks Bob, and glad you like everyone's reports. Mike, Beachgirl, and all the guys and gals I know have lots of fun doing them.

My Photos? I put them all on discs these days, each of which contain about 1200-1500 pictures each. I've got many, many thousands I have taken over the years..starting with my first camera at age 10, a Brownie Hawkeye....and adding more all the time. I have them catagorized so it's quite easy to 'search' a particular theme. I also transfer my movies to discs..good insurance.

[Edited on 3-12-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 3-11-2009 at 05:31 PM

All you guys are so lucky well its not luck but blessed. Maybe someday when i retire in 20+yrs ill be doing some of that........

READY SET.....................
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 09:51 AM

Jeez, Roger..you are way too organized. Well, one of us should be. After you went home for hot coffee and breakfast, Mike left too, and I got hit so hard my lure was snapped off in two seconds. My favorite one, too.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2009 at 05:41 PM
Beachgirl...

Roz, thanks for thinking I'm 'organized', but the godawful leftover mess in my house confirms the opposite. Luckily, my housekeeper comes on Fridays and Mondays (before and after the weekend.) Knowing me for some years, she now wears a Haz-mat suit.

Hey, congrats on sticking it out and getting a major strike. Fishing is all about patience spiced with luck...kinda like 'understanding the fairer sex.'

I had a ball fishing with you two this morning...as I did yesterday. I did go back for about 6 quick casts after I did my grocery shopping at the beer depot. I snagged on a drowned Winnebago or old refrigerator..couldn't quite feel which.

That fishery is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get. Pargo and snook for me thus far. I will keep a log from now on, I believe.

Who knows..this may well develop into a cottage sport-fishing industry for Mulege.

Here are this mornings fishing report photos from the rio.
A great time and now my favorite place to have coffee and listen to XM 28 between casts. This was on the airwaves.....

"Take me to the RIV-eer...Put me in the WAA-ter..."

One of the scenes treats..the smell of a wood breakfast fire and some smoke curling upwards.

My first catch of the day. One of my floating Rapala #5's (a perch shadrap) that somehow was dropped and started heading for the Cortez.

I hastily improvished this Rapala catcher by duct-taping a landing net to my casting rod. (this kept me from slipping on the rocks, splashing in, and joining the Rapala on it's journey to sea)

The action picks up as mulegemichael's surface lure gets slammed.

The Mad Mouse (an old Heddon lure) even got a strike!

We had lots of birds keeping an eye on things along the river.

Can you spot the heron in this photo?

And that's all for today, folks. Stay tuned.

[Edited on 3-20-2009 by Pompano]

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 09:16 AM
Night Fishing, anyone?

Last night-- late last night-- as I ran the dogs for exercise along the south river road-- from out of the inky cover of darkness materialized an amazing sight-- it was BeachGirl and MulegeMichael fishing-- their poles poised over the water's edge-- sparks flying as the fish frenzied below in anticipation of their tasty lures!!

This is the stuff of good memories.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 09:24 AM

That looks like so much fun, gosh, wish I was there for some fishing, I have some serious spring fever!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 04:14 PM

Is there any chance of guided fishing trips on the Mulege River? Would love to tie into some of those snook. Lived there for 4 months, had no clue that it was a fishermans dream.:lol::lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2009 at 08:52 PM
Last installment of the Snook Trilogy

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl...this includes dogs.

Beachgirl gets slammed by a big one..that busts her off in the rocks across the river... "!%#&@!"

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.
Tips: Remember to hold that fish as far in front of you as possible for the photo op.

20lb snapper like this one should not be photoed on your palm.

Perfect photo backdrop..claim it's the width of your truck bed. ah..THAT'S A HUGE FISH!! ALMOST SPOOLED ME!!

All the fish caught in the making of this report were released unharmed...and so was the SEAGULL..wha?

Good to Go! I rated that bird release at 1 minute 15 seconds...pelicans take a bit longer.

I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. Thanks for taking this little trip on the Mulege rio with us. See you on the water!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 05:47 AM

This is really a fun thread. Guess I'm gonna have to bring my fish gear to Mulege when I go shopping now.:yes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 07:44 AM
Good idea, Russ...

A word of caution, though. While most of your catch will be smaller snook and pargo, occaisionally a whopper will try to spool you. And..there's a few snags here and there.

Use 20lb plus or more and you won't lost so many lures. Shallow running Raps are the best for me. If they don't cast so well for you, put a rubber core sinker about 18" ahead of the lightweight lures.

I did catch my biggest on a 3 oz. crocodile. A real bruiser, that fish!! He had shoulders.

You will have a ball on the tidal flood. Good luck!

[Edited on 3-14-2009 by Pompano]

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 07:46 AM

pomp, what are you doing writing on this post when you should be on the river putting in your time?...git out there!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 08:03 AM

I would have been there at 5:30 this morning, Mike, but had some late night guests who wanted a bonfire. I love bonfires! Plus it's a poker noon today and there is only so much time.

Let me know how the tide bite goes!

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 09:58 AM

Is it my imagination, or did the river banks get "cleaned out of brush" after the "big flood"???? Been about three years since I've been on 'that' side of the river. road looks 'rebuilt' and looks pretty good!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 10:08 AM

Yes Phil S,

The government dredged a lot of the riverbed in that area, plus cleaned out a lot of undegrowth to promote quicker runoff during flood times. It greatly improved the fishing and riverbank access in that area. Futher towards the estuary and also upstream riverbank foliage remains resonably untouched and natural. All in all, it's a great improvement and hopefully will save some homes in the event of another natural disaster.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 10:15 AM
Aw..to heck with it..

I've got 3 hours before the poker game. I'm grabbing a rod and heading for the river!

I know Mike and Beachgirl are having TOO MUCH FUN!

Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 05:11 PM

Hi Rog....didn't make it out there today at all...armed with an explicit map we drove for two hours to see some cool cave paintings, only to find at the end of our journey a padlocked gate. Only then did Mike remember it is some sort of Mex holiday today? No matter. We sat under a shade tree....well, something anyway...and had icy cervezas and carnitas we had picked up in town. All in all, not a bad day in Mulege. How was the river?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 05:24 PM

Hi Roz,

Just got back from the tournament game...Hey, I won second place. No awards, but a round of applause was nice.

I hit the riverbank in pretty much the same places as before right at 10:45 and cast until 12:30. I caught 2 smallish pargo..and then something akin to an underwater motorhome busted my Rapala and got me behind and around that damn log jutting out from La Fortuna. Oh well, that's fishing.

Two Dogs and Lisa joined in with the dogs, but it was pretty slow for them. We all called it quits at the same time.

Are you casting tonight by the light of the moon? I might hit the river again manana at 12:00..which I think is flood tide that far inland. Your cave painting trip sounds par for the course. Me?..I had to go have another breakfast at Pancho's. Just in case Amy was there.

p.s. Let's go to breakfast at Los Olivos manana. Pick a time before the tide change.

[Edited on 3-15-2009 by Pompano]

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 08:29 PM

how about around 10ish after our workout????...then on to the river for the slaughter

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 04:45 AM

See you at Los Olivos at ten.

I fish better with a full stomach; some people fish better with talent.

Breaking News: Yakked with our tipsy city engineer last night at Jungle bar..he's not a fisherman, but from what I could gather, the crappie will be running tomorrow. Funny thing is, I never knew Baja had crappies. Something to do with opening a valve..?
I humbly beg forgiveness for posting this next picture.

[Edited on 3-15-2009 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.