Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bragging
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-7-2004 at 10:08 AM
Bragging

Here's one for you serious " Baja Offroaders".
The van, 2 wheel drive, 1983 VanDura by Starcraft. 380,000 miles, mostly off road in Baja and the Transpeninsular.
Extras. 3 " lift in rear (extra springs) 2"
lift in front, coils, etc.. Dual battery system with Deep Cycle Marine batterias, A 2500 watt power inverter, An IBS Battery isolater from Switzerland, a 110 volt freezer and a TV VCR combination.
I have built the entire camp using power from the inverter to run drills and a skilsaw and then watch a movie at night if we feel like it.
I have to start the van 3 times during the day to recharge the auxiliary battery but it's better than listening to a generator.
I couldn't think of a better vehicle for off road in Baja and will take it anywhere a four wheel drive can get to. And, we can eat ice cream when we get there.
:lol::lol:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 02:54 PM

Downsize of JR's original image above.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 02:57 PM

Jr, I'd be careful if I were you. It's when you start bragging that things start to go wrong. If my truck of van is doing anything even remotely right, I don't mention it to nobody; it's a jinx sort of thing.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 10:22 PM
race the truck!!

JR,
Like the UPS adv. with Dale Jarrett....
"Come on JR, race the truck"
Paint a number on that puppy and run it in the 1000.
It will be a sensation, trust me!!

Baja Arriba!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 10:29 PM
It's been considered

and I know a short cut!:lol:
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 06:53 AM

Hey Ive seen that Van before !!!
Conception tucked down in the corner with all kinds of electical stuff around it?
Back in Feb? :?:

All that wonder are not lost
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
"Come on JR, race the truck"
Paint a number on that puppy and run it in the 1000.

:lol: LMFAO!

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 09:32 AM
Van Racing

There's a couple things I would like to have done prior to the race so, I'll race it if someone will sponsor it:lol:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 11:07 AM

"Hey Ive seen that Van before !!!
Conception tucked down in the corner with all kinds of electical stuff around it?"

Are you talking about the van with the satellite antennae at Playa Los Cocos ? I got to know that dude a bit, and I'm more than sure that it wasn't Jr.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 02:01 PM

Nice dogs JR, what are they?

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 05:32 PM
the picture of your van

surrounded by water is a baja classic.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 06:00 PM
Thanks Pablo

Unfortunately, it's been like that a couple too many times :lol:
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 07:33 PM

That's playa Requeson eh?

the back entrance area is my favorite. too bad it's so acessible now. It took me and lynna 1/2 day to make it 300 meters to our spot back in the day with a 28' international bus.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 12:42 PM

So, JR, your van can go anywhere a 4WD can go? Steve says you sound like me, bragging about traveling in Baja in my 65 Mustang 2+2 fastback.

During five years in La Paz I consumed several hundred gallons of coffee at the Perla, and from time-to-time discussed the old carretera transpeninsular with Pacenos like General Alejandro Magallon (who as a Lieutenant drove to La Paz in a Model T with his pregnant wife). Everybody agreed that light-weight vehicles were the best kind for peninsular travel--and besides that, one of our neighbors regularly ferried 2WDs down from TJ for resale with no problems.

So after driving from La Paz to the Border in 1968 behind the wheel of a Dodge Power Wagon with the turning radius of a football field, I bought the Mustang, drove east from Escondido into the desert and stranded it in a sand bank. It passed the test--my three teenagers (Steve's the middle one) easily pushed it free.

In 1970 we drove from San Felipe south to Puertecitos and Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, then across to Calamajue and north to TJ. Not recklessly, though. I asked the waiters at a San Felipe restaurant and other local people what the road was like, and they all said "Regular"--sometimes with that little gesture of the hand that often accompanies this word--so I assumed we could make it. (Nevertheless, some of the gringos in 4WDs we encountered en route shouted friendly greetings such as, "Crazy lady, go home!" and "You tryin' to kill yourself and your kids?") In 1972, we drove down the old road to La Paz in the Mustang.

Since then, my defense of that old car has become a standard family joke. Whenever we take Steve's Pathfinder on a road like the one from San Evaristo to Mission San Luis Gonzaga (which was closed for a while after the rains, and still has some slow spots now), he says, "You could make this in the Mustang, of course!" And I of course say "Of course!" Never mind that we both know how bad roads take a toll on vehicles without 4WD.

I'm sure you're not going to give up your braggin' rights, JR, and I don't intend to dump mine, either. There is more to Baja than those military checkpoints and dangerous topes that nervous newbies sometimes warn each other about.

Hang in there!

Lera

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by bajalera]

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by bajalera]

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 01:00 PM
Lera

I hope you still have that ol Mustang of yers. Because sometimes I do need to get pulled out by someone that knows what they are doing!
We will be hookin up next time I'm down for a little excursion heh heh heh.:lol:
Have you guys been up to San Luis recently? Especially the route you mentioned? Cause if you are explorin, there's some people you may want to meet along the way.
:light:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.