Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Advice for a Baja newbie
sigringo

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 02:47 PM
Advice for a Baja newbie

First off, hi. Very informative board, tons of helpful folks, and I have been lurking here for a few months, soaking it up, and now Im ready to go. But I need some suggestions... Single dad, 3 kids, 4-14, want someplace semi-remote, but still be within driving distance of a town for access to meals etc. We camp as often as possible, so I really dont mind roughing it a little (the kids actually would prefer that), but would rather not carry tents and all the accessories. I would like someplace that has access to some good fishing, preferably with panga rentals available, a sandy beach for the kids, and maybe some decent snorkeling water for the 2 older kids. I will be driving from LA, so distance really isnt an issue. I really want the kids (and me) to get as much of the "Baja experience" as you can get (in a week, anyway). Any suggestions as to a location? I see palapas listed - are those pretty much an outdoor addition to be used along with a motor home, or ??? Thanks...
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 03:50 PM
It's hot on the Sea of Cortez side right now.

When are you planning your adventure? This is a major factor as far as weather is concerned.
From the sounds of it, I would recommend the Erendira area. Panga rentals, cheap hotels or camping, beautiful beaches to the north and south, small restaurants and stores and friendly people. You will catch fish!
If you are interested, let me know and I'll get you phone numbers and more info.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 04:07 PM

If heat doesn't scare you, bay of los angeles has everything for a baja experience... daggett's or gecko is the places to stay if camping. raquel & larry's if you need motel, next to daggett's
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 04:58 PM

I would add Campo Archelon (Turtle project) in the Bay of LA. Can camp under a palapa (bring everything you need short of shade) or in one of his two building units (not sure what to call them...one even has its own full bathroom.). But time of year is a big question that requires an answer and how much time do you have?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 05:30 PM
"The Baja Experience"

is what was stated in the original post. Although Bahia de Los Angeles is in Baja and has become part of a "Baja Experience" it is more of a gringo enclave where you will be surrounded by gringos.
May as well stay home or go to the beach up there.
If you want to experience some of the real Baja, which I highly recommend, try something besides a drunken gringo enclave. In my not so humble opinion.
:lol:
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 05:36 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
sigringo

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 05:50 PM
Forgot to mention...

About the only time the kids have free this summer are between mid-August to mid - September. They do pretty well in the hot weather, though, so that shouldnt be a major concern. Mid 80's would be nice, but Im pretty sure that aint gonna happen...thx
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 05:56 PM
August-Sept.

Erindira !
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 06:07 PM
Bah?a Concepci?n...

You could also try Bah?a Concepci?n, south of Muleg?. It is a nice and it has few different beaches: Playa del Burro, El Requez?n, Santa Ixpac, and few others, Mulege is a nearby town. Some of the beaches have cabins and some other do not have anything... you choose.

Happy and nice trip....

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 07:14 PM

Isn't just about anywhere near decent snorkling going to be a drunken gringo enclave but hopefully not to the extent of Cabo San Lucas? If so, I would go to Camp Gecko and then maybe somewhere on Concepcion. What about Loreto? That's a pretty good place to hang, but I would want to take 2 weeks off instead of just one. What the heck, I say take 3 weeks off and go to La Paz and Todos Santos; you can tell your boss that Packoderm said it's alright.
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 08:37 PM

JrBaja....I have spent at least a week in BLA for many years...and yes, like many places there are americans and others some of them even a bit too interested in etoh for their own good.....BUT and HOWEVER, more times than not we are the ONLY non nationals to be found (always make the trip within a couple of weeks of easter). This year Antonios place was busting at the edges and we only had a place to stay because he has know us from previous years (let us camp in and around the research lab) and we were the ONLY gringos to be found. This also held true at our favorite claming spots....it is good to have opinions, but it is also good to have the story correct..especially when first timers are looking for accurate information. Tim
calacowboy
Junior Nomad

Mood: wondering....

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 08:51 PM

jrbaja-

Erindira sounds just what I am looking for. I am in the middle of planning a camping trip/cheapish hotel rm. one week trip in the middle of July. I would like to explore the west coast of n baja. So far first night at estero beach to camp some where, then on to Erindira area??...from there down to San Quintin area. If you could give me some info on Erindira, and who I could contact, I would be very grateful. Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 08:55 PM

Although jrbaja's advice of a Pacific side area is better in August (also try Cielito Lindo, San Quintin area)... I will contest his Bahia de L.A. comments. He is describing San Felipe or Rosarito at Spring Break. L.A. Bay (in August) will be the quietest Baja 'tourist' town you will ever witness! I have not been there in August, but in July it is pretty quiet (after 4baja's fireworks show at Gecko on 4th of July)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 08:56 PM
OK then

I am truly sorry SiGringo. If you go to Bahia de los Angeles (2 weeks before Semana Santa), you will have the place to yourselves.
But, bring a tent and supplies just in case there happen to be a couple of gringos the rest of the time.
It is beautiful there. There is a meth problem among the locals there. It is one of the most famous of all the gringo enclaves because it is weekendable for some. There is sometimes excellent fishing there. The times specified can be the hottest as most everyone knows.
What it is not is "The Baja Experience".
Depending on how you look at it of course.
For many, the Baja experience is coming to Baja to be around people more like themselves. Mostly for security reasons as they are afraid of being ripped off by the Mexicans.
And they get ripped off by the dishonest Mexicans because the dishonest ones know better than to bother ripping off a fish camp or rancho when there's a good chance of being shot and buried. Besides, the gringo enclaves have more stuff and it's easier to take.
On the other hand, if you go to a non gringo environment, meet some of the locals, there is not a chance in the world of you having any problems whatsoever. And, you'll probably eat better and cheaper as well.

Tim, have you spent any time in other places in Baja?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2004 at 10:04 PM
Not the ones I hang out in !

:lol: Except Rosarito that is! :lol::lol::lol:
sigringo

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 10:33 AM
Thanks...

for all the feedback.
jrbaja - no need to apologize to me. (Maybe Packoderm should apologize, for trying to help me get myself fired:) )
I came looking for opinions, and got a few different opinions. Im sure all have valid points and I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to offer suggestions.
Im kicking myself for waiting so long to make Baja happen.
So tell me more about Erendira... I did a google search and got nothing - that sounds like a good palce to start.
Thanks again...
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 11:20 AM

Yes Jr, I have been to a GREAT # of places (almost bold enough to convey near all) once and many, many, many mutiple times. My father raced in the first Mexican 1000 and then for many years after which started my family love for Baja and the people of baja. I have raced baja from both in the mid to late 70's and then again mid 90's to 2001. Made my first solo trip down the peninsula when I was 17 and that wasn't yesterday! Every place in Baja has pros and cons (still searching for the modern day pros for Cabo...lol). So far this year I have spent 3 trips making it at least as far as Loreto and many more as far as SQ. My only issue with your comment was it was vastly over stated and could possibly sway a person from a delightedful true baja people and place experience. Thanks for asking. Tim
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 11:25 AM
Erendira

I will find more info. for you later. There is a place called Castros that offers a hotel (around 10$ u.s. per night) per person last time I was there.
The rooms have kitchens, showers with hot water, you climb in your boat to be transported down to the launch ramp in the morning, and then you catch fish. Probably Ling and Rock Cod but this time of the year, you may get really lucky and hit who knows what.
To the north is Punta Cabras (about 5 miles)which has sand dunes and a beautiful crescent beach. The snorkeling and beach fishing there is quite good but it's true, the water will be cold. And, a lot colder than the Sea of Cortez side.
To the south are various beaches with erosion canals in the rocks. Some go underground and reappear farther up the beach. Most scenic and last time we were there, the dolphins were surfing right up to the beach.
The weekends can get crowded with surfers if there's a swell but during the week, you will probably have the place to yourselves.
Here's my note from the first trip there, I'll see if I can scan and post.
The name at the bottom is of a lady that lives there full time. You will probably meet her.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 11:29 AM
The note

If you have 4wd, you can uncross the parts I have changed and camp on the beach. The hill coming back up was a little much for my 2wd van!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2004 at 11:36 AM
1st Baja mil

Cool Tim, did you or your Dad know Don Jimmy ?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.