BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Kayakers,,,,Where are you??
tattuna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 08:51 AM

I LOVE kayaking Baja! I'll be kayak fishing Gonzaga Bay Memorial weekend. For those of you thinking about it, check out a kayak shop that's near water and they'll let you test paddle. OEX kayak shops are great because they carry kayaks of all makes. Although they focus on fishing kayaks they also have a selection of touring kayaks. Generally speaking, wider kayaks are more stable but track slower. While longer kayaks are faster you give up a little stability. All kayaks have their pros and cons you just have to pick the one that suits you. Here are some of my kayak pics...

Cabrilla caught outside of El Faro

Hogfish at Gonzaga

I'm that tiny spec in the ocean down there paddling back to Gonzaga from Punta Bufeo

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 11:21 AM

"Before you take it out in deep water go for a swim and practice climbing on the kayak. wear a PDF. If you go rent one most places will give you instructions on how to get back on."

It is essential to learn self rescue techniques in the kayak you use. There are assisted rescue methods as well - and your paddling partner should know about and be capable of an assisted rescue. The time to learn rescue techniques is not in windy, choppy conditions where a swell just dumped you. I would recommend reading Deep Trouble.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:11 PM
self rescue

Best to go with someone who can teach you. Practice in calm water close to shore. Stay out of the serf zone. You should'nt be lanching in the serf yet anyway. Wear your PDF. Put a leash on your paddle and attach it to the kayak.
Know your limitations.
When Im fishing I bring a GPS. A handheld marine radio an extra paddle a drybag with first aid kit and flares & Airhorn.
DanD
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:34 PM
first day

Quote:
Originally posted by EnseNADAslim
BajaDan, this must have been at the beginning of your trip,,,,your car is way to clean, and your boats don't have the Dried Salt look to them yet. Where all did you paddle besides Cobo?
ya got a nice set up!:yes:

I believe that was BOLA in the backround we were on our way down and stopped there for the night didnt kayak there that trip. Kayaked south of La Paz Las Frailes, Cabo Pulmo and that area mostly. didnt kayak in Cabo at all couldnt get out of there fast enough. spent most of the time around East cape. The Halibut were caught at San Quintin on another trip. The Sheephead was caught at San Roque last month.
Paddled to Isla San Roque and back two days in row caught lots of Calico Bass and one Sheephead.
Maybe 2-3 miles to the Isla plus I did a big circle of the bay there at San Roque maybe 8-9 miles each day. Had to paddle into the wind comming back the first day. I was so tired I got dumped in the 2ft serf comming in.

This is a picture of Las Arenas light house south of La Paz our car still looks clean I cant figure that out. We had already been to Loreto, Mag Bay and La Paz

[Edited on 3-26-2009 by BajaDanD]

[Edited on 3-26-2009 by BajaDanD]

scan0001.jpg - 16kB
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:35 PM

we have PEDAL kayaks from Hobie. LOVE THEM. And we are right here in Baja and tonight, too frickin tired to even think about them. BUT WE LOVE THEM!!! Yes, we have PDFs and wear them.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Best to go with someone who can teach you. Practice in calm water close to shore. Stay out of the serf zone. You should'nt be lanching in the serf yet anyway. Wear your PDF. Put a leash on your paddle and attach it to the kayak.
Know your limitations.
When Im fishing I bring a GPS. A handheld marine radio an extra paddle a drybag with first aid kit and flares & Airhorn.
DanD

This is the radio we picked up before our Bahia Concep. trip
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-Marine-Boating-Kayak-VHF-handheld-Portable-Radio_W0QQitemZ200295268183QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2002952 68183&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
Have yet to get a hand held GPS, but that's next on the list.
We have went out on day paddles to simply just work on rescue techniques, and surf entry an exit. Never take a peaceful calm day for granted.
Great Fishing Pic's you guys! Gotta give that a try someday, but not sure how well that would work out in a touring Yak.
nancyinpdx
Nomad

Mood: muy eccentrica

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
Know your limitations.
DanD

Thanks to you and all others on all the advice, info, and pointers. I guess I will need to meet ppl down there; I'm usually independent and somewhat of a loner. Honestly, I'm shy at first with ppl but I've come to the conclusion that, especially as a beginner, and not being a very good swimmer and someone with some physical probs, I have no business going out on the water alone 'til I've practiced and learned a lot. I'd also make sure to have the radio, gps, life jacket or whatever you call that thing, and the other recommended safety items.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 09:32 AM

the bay here in mulege is pretty smooth today...

"mom" said they were getting snow in utah:lol:

notice no paddles:o
those hobie petal kayaks are sure "sweet" :light:

kak1.jpg - 49kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2009 at 05:54 PM
Hobie kayaks

Love the Hobie Outback kayak. I've pedaled one around San diego and Mission bay a few times. They make a sail for the Outback too.
I would have gotten one but needed to get two kayaks. Two Hobie's would have been out of my price range.
I won the Ocean Kayak Prowler in a kayak fishing derby for a $50 entrence fee.
DanD
fernando
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2009 at 11:28 PM

There is going to be a fishing kayak tournament in July out of Marina coral in ensenada. I will post the event in my page

Baja Outfitters & Adventures
www.baja-outfitters.com
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 07:34 AM
type to use

I have a question for you all.. Is the "sit on top" style
better to fish from than the touring models? Is it safe to fish
from the touring model [sit inside] ?

marty
tattuna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
I have a question for you all.. Is the "sit on top" style
better to fish from than the touring models? Is it safe to fish
from the touring model [sit inside] ?

marty

Most fishing kayaks are sit on tops. I have seen fully rigged sit insides though, just pretty rare. I couldn't say which is better to fish from having not tried a sit inside myself. I'm sure a good kayak shop could help you more.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 05:06 PM
sit on top

You want a sit on top for fishing there is deck space on top to set thing on that you dont have on a sit inside. They make long touring type sit on tops The wilderness systems Tarpon is 16ft has a lot of deck space plus two hatches to stow your gear. The Ocean Kayak Prowler is 15 1/2 ft one hatch up front a lot of deck space and a place at the rear to put a crate or what ever. Mine has flush mount rod holders a fish finder a live biat tank and other stuff.
A sit inside you would have no where to put fish if you caught any. Except inside.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-28-2009 at 05:40 PM

Traditionally, "sit inside" kayakers, i.e. eskimo's etc... just strapped their catch to the deck and paddled home. Sometimes this would include all or part of a seal, walrus, etc..

The traditional style "sit inside" kayaks are advantageous in rougher seas and have a better secondary stability. However, they can be hot in places like Baja.

Sit on tops are great for swimming/diving (easy to get on/off of) and for calmer seas. They tend to have a better primary stability; but, don't do as well in really rough seas.

Since most people go out in warm and calm seas, the sit on top it a good way to go for shorter trips in Baja. On longer trips where you may run into rough and/or colder seas, a kayak that can be "rolled"and your ability to "roll it may save your life.

I love to canoe as well, a canoe can haul much more than any Kayak can dream of (I also find them more comfortable to sit and kneel in); but, they are susceptible to capsize/flooding and are only really safe near the shores of larger lakes, or for use in rivers where you can get to shore in an emergency or when the weather turns bad.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2009 at 06:09 AM
I got what I got.

A year back we had a kayak company close down in Loreto,
so some of my neighbors and I bought 6 touring style kayaks.
They were a great deal and in good shape. $350.00 ea. So now
I am learning how to use my 2. I have a Cabo 226 to fish with but
just like going to the port and fishing for sierra from the dock, its
just another great experience. And as you know, being on the water with no noise is priceless. I don't have to fish with my kayak but....
Oh. my first kayaking here was a few years back with a neighbors
Hobie... That was a blast. My wife had no problems with it.

marty
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 8-8-2009 at 05:46 PM

We use a NativeWatercraft Ultimate 16 tandem...fished Gonzaga Bay twice and LOVED it...especially in the early evening when the bay turns to glass...got a nice catch of triggers, bay bass...had a blast!! that was all on fresh water gear and dead lunch meat from the bottom of the ice chest!

going back Halloween weekend with saltwater gear !

Plan: depart Yuma Fri EARLY AM...drive down to Gonzaga
return Mon EARLY AM to the US

Anyone else care to join in??

Mike & Sharon
Vail, AZ

dizzyspots at aol dot com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.