Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Camping Punta Chivato
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 04:49 PM
Camping Punta Chivato

If you have made plans to camp at the "camping beach" in Punta Chivato you may want to change your plans. There was a meeting yesterday and we were in formed that the corporation that now owns much of the land around here will close the beach to camping. Access will be allowed for walk ins. The manager of the corp. will be asking the police in Palo Verde to inform vacationers/visitors before they make the trec out that there is no beach camping. I am sickened by this turn in events! The camp beach is, I believe, the icon of Punta Chivato. I started my love of this area camping on that beach as have many who live here today. This is one of the disgusting changes that we see happening through out Baja. To be simi fair to the corporation... Their manager is only looking out for their interest. He informed us that government agencies have forced him to control their holdings. If there is any damage to the land those agencies will site the corp. and it may effect their plans for development. So, to all those who have had a wonderful time camping and playing here, Punta Chivato is now a gated, guarded and private community. Chain link & barbwire fencing surrounds it and you can not get in without having your name and license recorded. I have a lot more to say but probably have gone to far already. Shortly I will remove "Punta Chivato" from my location info here.:no:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 04:56 PM

Sorry to hear that. We spent a few lovely days on the beach there all by ourselves about a decade ago, it was great.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 04:57 PM

Bummer

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 05:06 PM

Maybe Doug should create a whole separate forum called "Our Diminishing Baja Frontier" or something along those lines.
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 06:50 PM

Punta Chivato was my first trip to Baja numerous years ago. Planned the trip for over a year. There were probably 40 homes and the hotel. We towed the 14 Valco and parked it on the beach. It is also where I learned about sting rays. Breaks my heart that new and young Baja ventures have been shut off from this fantastic part of Baja Sur!
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 06:52 PM

That sucks. :mad: I hate to hear of yet another amazing spot being sacrificed to feed the machine.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbdown.gif posted on 3-23-2009 at 07:03 PM

Sorry to hear that, Russ. Just in time for Semana Santa. Are these the same people that opened the new hotel and restaurant last week? :?:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 08:00 PM

toneart, The restaurant is owned by the previous owners who got it from the ejido. As I understood it yesterday, there is no immediate plan to start development. Only remove any opportunity/ access for people to enjoy a part of Baja that happens to be owned by a corporation with no historical feeling or interest. Semana Santa here was a traditional place for many Mexican families. Past tense.:(
However, to be a little bit fair, the corporation participated in local charity events and community improvements like road repairs. I just get sick every time I go out my door and see the 8' barbed wire fence stretching up over the horizon:barf:

[Edited on 3-24-2009 by Russ]
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:09 PM

I hate to hear this. I had not camped there as much as other places. Punta Chivato is a very special place. I will miss it and regret that I didn't stay their more in the past.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2009 at 10:34 PM

That problem is going to be solved soon, theres not much i can say, but the new changes wont last more than a few months.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 05:23 AM

A glimmer of light!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 08:21 AM

russ....does that include santa ynez beach?...i know the rancher now charges a few bucks to camp there presently

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
russ....does that include santa ynez beach?...i know the rancher now charges a few bucks to camp there presently

I think of Santa Ynez as several beaches. 1-from the runway to the end of the houses 2 -then to the estuary & 3 -from the estuary to the cliffs. Some here even have broken up the stretch with the houses with various names. Anyway, the last section that has a road sign on Hwy is really a nice beach I often forget. I didn't know of a camping charge but have heard of a lot of thefts from there. From my house I can see that there is a ranch out there near the beach but have never seen a road in to it. That section of beach is broken up between three ejidos and I THINK the rancher is scamming folks if not robbing them. Recommend that someone is always at the camp even for a short walk. This is also a beach that turtle poachers use.
Edit: Kinda got of in my own direction there and didn't answer your question.
So far as I know the corporation that has interests here does not have any on Santa Ynez beach... Well a short piece that stops at my place where their fence starts.

[Edited on 3-24-2009 by Russ]
cantinflas
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2009 at 01:09 PM

That is terrible news. Some of my best days dorado fishing came from that spot. When will it end?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 09:31 AM

Just was informed that the beach at the south end of Santa Ynez is in fact a camp area with a caretaker of sorts. The road in is no worse than the Punta Chivato road and only 5 miles long and not the wash board yet. Also there is a daily free.
wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 11:52 AM

The beach at Punta Chivato is a magical place, I must have camped there for a total of 10 weeks since the early 80s. First trip the beach was deserted for the whole week (late Sept). The hotel was closed. I've caught big cabrilla, dorado, and medium tuna and sailfish from my 15 foot aluminum boat there. Also got introduced to a stingray there, my wife insisted it was because I was watching the topless college girls rather than where I was walking. For me Punta Chivato is what Baja was all about. It's a shame others won't get a chance to experience what I did. I love Punta Chivato.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 01:37 PM

My early baja trips used to always be to Punta Chivato. It all started when I flew down to Mulege with my Dad and one of his friends and stayed at the Serenidad. One of the days we were out fishing and we stopped in at Chivato and snorkeled. That was when the sands of baja got on my shoulders and couldn't be shaken off....:tumble: That was in 1982. I was fortunate enough to take my son down there camping about 5 years ago and he loved it! It is definitely one of those "special" places in baja. Let's hope it's not closed long..... Here I am at Punta Chivato in 1984!!!:lol: Gotta love the 80's!!!

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 02:22 PM
Problem??

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
That problem is going to be solved soon, theres not much i can say, but the new changes wont last more than a few months.

What problem? There's now no camping on the beach.

As it should be.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

What problem? There's now no camping on the beach.

As it should be.

Is that supposed to be funny?:?:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2009 at 03:50 PM
No

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Is that supposed to be funny?:?:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.