BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: EXPLORATIONS IN LOWER CALIFORNIA: 1868 (as seen through the eyes and pen of J. Ross Browne)
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 06:23 PM

David, thank you again for such a wonderful post. you have quite a talent of keeping my attention.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 07:47 PM

David
Great post, as usual. I have a copy of Murphy's revisit of Brown's journey, done in 1968 (100 years later) and always enjoyed the drawings. But your source has much, much more. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. What did you have to pay for that reprint, if you don't mind me asking?
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 07:19 AM

I had not seen most of these illustrations before and I enjoyed them very much. Thank you! I do have another book by J. Ross Browne, which is an important resource for California and Baja California. "Resources of the Pacific Slope, a statistical and descriptive summary of the mines and minerals, climate, topography, agriculture, commerce, manufactures, and miscellaneous productions, of the states and territories west of the Rocky Mountains, with A Sketch of the Settlement and Exploration of Lower California." In that section on Baja California in the back of the book he includes some writings not otherwise accessible: "Historical Summary of Lower California from its Discovery in 1532 to 1867" by Alexander S. Tayor; "The Lower California Company", "Explorations of Lower California" by William M. Gabb; "Report of Captain C. M. Scammon of the U. S. Revenue Service on the West Coast of Lower California"; "Journal of the Expedition of Mr. J. D. Hawks and Party".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
David
Great post, as usual. I have a copy of Murphy's revisit of Brown's journey, done in 1968 (100 years later) and always enjoyed the drawings. But your source has much, much more. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. What did you have to pay for that reprint, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Steve, sorry I don't remember... don't think it was very much... it is a small thin paperback. The content is awesome (as you can see above)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 04:41 PM

I bought a copy several years ago. I don't collect that sort of thing so I have the same re-print for sale if you want it, make an offer. It is in good condition.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
jahImpala3
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 11:32 AM

Just got to this post, amazing!
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for sharing those old and very interesting drawings and stories, David. We all appreciate it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 08:24 AM

Glad you enjoy it... Baja has so many levels of interesting things from the past to the present... a true magic place if there ever was one!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cjesme
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 09:00 AM

These are great illustrations! A lot of History!

Carlita and Esteban
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 02:24 PM

Sooooo cool! love the pictures!

READY SET.....................
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 10:22 AM

Very interesting stuff. :coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2020 at 12:35 PM

Bump for new Nomads to enjoy... Just a sample of the cool stuff on the Nomad Historic Interests & Literature Forum! :light:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.