Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Photo posting
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:31 AM
Photo posting

I have been having mucho problemas regarding photos. If anyone has an easy way to shrink and post them without taking hours, please let me know.
In the mean time, they will be posted at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum
Sorry.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:48 AM

I have found a great little shareware program called photo cleaner that is only $12 bucks and lets you do batch re-sizing and image enhancement. It's pretty slick. Their website is:

http://www.photocleaner.com/

PM/e-mail me if you want more details.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:50 AM
Thanks Herb

When I reduce the size to 50 K or under, the pics. arent really worth posting so if theres a better way, cool.
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 09:55 AM

Do you have Photoshop or Imageready?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 10:03 AM
Photoshop

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 10:17 AM

repost

jpeg re-sizer

here is a neat little freeware program that allows you to resize your jpegs for easy, fast loading on BB's.

http://www.virtualzone.de/resizer/

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 11:06 AM
You can also...

crop for a more dramatic effect as well as bringing the file sizes down. (Sorry, JR, I hope you don't mind my sharing.)

JR actually shot this photo of what has to be THE most classic baja vehicle I've seen in my travels. (I"m sure that could prompt a thread in it's own right:lol:)
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 11:09 AM
But Seriously, though...

with a good re-sampling filter and turning the jpeg quality down to around 33%, you can still get some pretty nice looking pictures because the moonitor is way more forgiving than a printer.
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 11:13 AM

The cropped one was only 36K, the last one only 14K and this one, 29K
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2004 at 05:59 PM

Let's see what happens here. The other side of that SUV.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2004 at 07:00 PM
resizing photos

I have several photo programs that have a resize function that works very well without having to crop. One is Print Shop Photo Pro that has an "adjust" function that includes resizing. Photosuite does the same thing with the "adjust" function.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2004 at 09:20 PM
Photo shop

Go to image. Click on image size and then it's easy to change. Enter 640 and it will take care of business.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 08:40 AM
Unfortunately Franko

That doesn't work. I think it may be what I have the camera set at but using "Image" in PhotoShop only brings them down to about 370k's from 1280. I then use Baja Bus advice to get them down to under 50 Kb's.
It's a two step process but I'll be trying out everyones advice for the best solution. Thanks.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 10:05 AM

Knowing very little about these things the one thing I have learned - set the resolution in the camera - I have a Fuji FinePix 2400Zoom that I've had for 3-4 years. If I set the "Filesixe/Quality" to 1600 I get enormous files - great for printing but not for posting. It also has 1280 which I haven't used and the one that's good for posting 640. This one is called "Normal", the 1280 has settings of "Fine/Normal" and the big 1600 has "fine/normal/Basic". I only know, when I posted one that had inadvertantly been taken in the 1600 setting, it took days to upload and feet of space on the BB. When I posted ones taken at 640, they seemed to pose no space problems.. Since I never print the pictures anyway, just look at slidshows in the computer, I try to always have it on 640.

:biggrin:

Maybe one day I'll look at the manual that came with it. But why?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 10:45 AM
Thanks Lou

I also have the Fuji line but its the S602. I think I do have the camera set at 1280 come to think of it, but I also print out a lot of the pictures.
And you mentioned something about a "manual". Those are actually useful for something ?hahahahahaha. I thought it was just padding.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 12:26 PM

Bajalou & jrbaja
First i have to say I don't have your Fuji camera, but in general digital cameras all store images in a similar way.
When you set your file size/quality setting so low you can get more pictures on your compact flash cards and these pictures will look nice on the internet. However you really diminish the quality of your work if you want to make prints.
Jpeg file format, which is what most cameras store their lower resolution/file size pictures, is a lossy format. That means that when you save your photo in this compressed way you loose image data that can't be recovered.
I take all my foto's in an uncompressed file format that converts to a tiff file which can be manipulated in many ways without loosing quality. Then if the destination of the picture is for the web i follow all of the advise of the other posters here. I only change this file to a jpeg when I am ready to save.
burro bob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 12:40 PM
Burro Bob

Do you use your camera or a photo program to change from Jpeg to Tiff ?

Because what I described earlier, the two steps, it still doesn't compress them enough. Heck!
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 10:49 AM

jrbaja
I use my image editing software to do all work on the photo. I try to take most of my photo's in tiff format. Some cameras do not have this ability. They only have jpeg. This could be the case with your Fuji. I think at all resolutions on fine setting you get an uncompressed jpeg. At normal and basic settings you get compresed images.
I use Micrografix Picture Publisher, and have for the last 13 years. To get a photo ready for the internet with this program I first convert from 144 dpi to 72 in the size submenu of the image dropdown menu. Of course photoshop will be different but all of these steps I take are also available there.
Then in the same place I change the horizontal size to 600 pixels and the vertical resizes proportionaly. You can also use a crop by size tool to cut out an image to your desired size pixel wise. My program also lets me select how I want to measure the photo, inches, centimeters, pixels, and picas.
After I have the size I want I apply any filters. Then when I "save as" I change it to a jpeg. It then gives me a dialog box that allows me to set the amout of jpeg compression I want to use. I try not to go much higher than 25. I don't have any problem getting a 600 x 400 image down to around 35k.
Droping the color resolution down to 256 doesn't save space when using a jpeg. This only works on jif images.
As an example i will post a sunrise photo on the other thread. It is 4.7 MB as a tiff file, uncompressed on my hard drive. It is a 33 k file as a jpeg.
burro bob
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 11:10 AM

Burro Bob - That picture is incredibly beautiful!

Herb and Burro Bob - Help me out with something, por favor. I set the file size to 50k (slide bar control in photoshop); which often gives me an optimized image shown to be 30+k, with a jpeg quality of medium. Can I continue to raise the file size until the optimized image shows the photo at just under 50k? Doing this raises the jpeg quality to high/highest, but also raises the file size as shown on the slide bar to about 70k.

Sorry to be so obtuse, but I'd like to post the best image within the board guidelines. One of our cameras allows me to work with the RAW data, the other does not.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2004 at 12:04 PM

Natalie Ann
I'm not 100 percent sure I follow you. I have Photoshop 5 and it doesn't have the same popup interface for jpeg conversion as version 6. Are you sure the file size is not 700 k. My 33k jpeg is 33k on disk then it opens to 844 k in memory.
Sometimes the "raw" data on a camera can be a propritary format that can only be opened by the software that came with the camera. Most cameras use some form of tif for uncompressed data. But, as I just confirmed at www. dpreview.com, Lou's camera is only capable of saving jpeg's.
burro bob
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.