Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Agua Dulce Spring on the Camino Real
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 05:59 PM

Jesus rts, aren't there enough ruined threads out there for you? Do you really need to ruin this one too? DK wasn't bothering anybody, not trying to sway anyone to his political view, actually just participating in what Baja Nomads is about. You sir are a troll, you and your lot are driving more and more people away from this site. Have you noticed that "today's posts" fit on one page these days? I'll bet Doug has. Have you noticed that a good majority of "todays posts" are just a bunch of old drunks arguing and calling names? I'll bet Doug has. Have you ever wondered what kind of businesses might want to advertise on a dying web site were a bunch of old drunks on SS run their mouths all day? I'll bet Doug has.

Crawl back under a rock rts and take your gang of 5 with you...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Jesus rts, aren't there enough ruined threads out there for you? Do you really need to ruin this one too? DK wasn't bothering anybody, not trying to sway anyone to his political view, actually just participating in what Baja Nomads is about. You sir are a troll, you and your lot are driving more and more people away from this site. Have you noticed that "today's posts" fit on one page these days? I'll bet Doug has. Have you noticed that a good majority of "todays posts" are just a bunch of old drunks arguing and calling names? I'll bet Doug has. Have you ever wondered what kind of businesses might want to advertise on a dying web site were a bunch of old drunks on SS run their mouths all day? I'll bet Doug has.

Crawl back under a rock rts and take your gang of 5 with you...

As always, it is a matter of one's personal perspective .......

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by DianaT]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:32 PM

Only 4 more to hear from...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:36 PM

I did not say anything but the truth. And said it short and sweet. David has made it known he feels that gates should not be on roads that have pre existed. I don't think I ruined the thread by saying that. You did more DT to take it off-topic than anyone.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I did not say anything but the truth. And said it short and sweet. David has made it known he feels that gates should not be on roads that have pre existed. I don't think I ruined the thread by saying that. You did more DT to take it off-topic than anyone.

Your post had one purpose only, to pick a fight with DK. You can't stand to see a post where DK is involved where nobody is kicking him in the crotch.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:48 PM

Your post had one purpose only, to pick a fight with DK. You can't stand to see a post where DK is involved where nobody is kicking him in the crotch.

You putting words, thoughts and feelings into someone else's head is truly destructive and give it a break. Four to go? That is funny! Maybe it is some kind of deep dark conspiracy --and DK is definitely a victim

But seriously, your post did take this thread off topic ----- way off topic.

Back to the topic --- sounds like someone does not want people driving over their ranch anymore, and that is their right. Seems like more and more of that is happening in Baja and probably for good reason.

Times are changing, and will continue to change. Open access is fading for better or worst

[Edited on 7-9-2015 by DianaT]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:49 PM

He handled it well. Now back to gates and old roads.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 06:54 PM

He handled it well. Now back to gates and old roads.

How about we go back to the Agua Dulce Springs, that's what this thread is about, not gates and roads...

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 07:10 PM

I think DT correctly saw this thread veering off track by the usual suspects, with rts firing the first shot and queing the rest to jump in, as normal when DK is involved in any way. There have been many new nomads lately who have legitimate Baja questions and unfortunately are exposed to this elementary school name calling and vicious little slams by the same people who apparently have nothing going in their life.This forum is too valuable a source for Baja information to be wasted with petty jealous sniping.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I think DT correctly saw this thread veering off track by the usual suspects, with rts firing the first shot and queing the rest to jump in, as normal when DK is involved in any way. There have been many new nomads lately who have legitimate Baja questions and unfortunately are exposed to this elementary school name calling and vicious little slams by the same people who apparently have nothing going in their life.This forum is too valuable a source for Baja information to be wasted with petty jealous sniping.

Then why are you doing it?
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2015 at 09:22 AM

An absolutely perfect and correct observation of the gang of 5. People are leaving or have left the forum in droves. Could be a connection?

[Edited on 7-14-2015 by bajacamper]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 09:45 AM
Agua Dulce in 2017: Km. 160.5+ (+ 2 miles in)

To update this thread, here are my June 2017 observations:

*There is no closed gate, at least not this time.
*The ranchers were welcoming and gave me permission to take photos at the spring (which is about 1,000 feet past the ranch and down in a gully).
*A windmill was installed to pump the spring water up to the ranch but a gasoline pump was in the pond (not running when I was there).
*The ranchers confirmed their ranch name is Rancho Agua Dulce.

I parked near the windmill, walked down to the pond then back out of the gully on the opposite side. I walked around the east side of the spring/ gully back to my truck. The final photo is the ranch as seen from where I parked.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 09:50 AM

If it's agua dulce, did you try it and confirm? :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
If it's agua dulce, did you try it and confirm? :-)

Not since the cows began drinking there, which was before my time! It looked cleaner in my 2002 and 2005 photos!

Here is a 1963 photo from Howard Gulick: http://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/baja/gulick/m91-38-03.htm...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 09:20 PM

Lovely little spot.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the El Camino Real map made by Howard Gulick in 1954 showing Agua Dulce and the auto roads of the time. The Camino Real is indicated by dashes where the road is visible and by dots where the route is fairly certain, but not road work is seen. The Camino Real west of Agua Dulce to El Aguila is shown just south of the auto road of 1954-1973... and that is where Highway One was built.

David,

do you have exact locations for the ranchos San Nicolas and San Antonio?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 09:34 AM

They are (or were) not ranchos, but water locations on El Camino Real between Santa María and Agua Dulce.

On the road to Mission Santa María there is a monument and a track north to, or near to, San Antonio. You can see the road on GE... It is 4.7 road miles from Santa Ynez. I don't recall if I found where San Nicolas is.

Another nearby oasis on El Camino Real is called Agua Escondida (in old times) and is in Arroyo Aguaje Guillermo, which crosses to old main road 0.4 mi. north of La Virgen.

From Neal Johns:
Drive up the arroyo, 4.4 miles, then hike 1 mile to '100' palms.
Photos from Neal are hosted by me: http://www.vivabaja.com/neal2/page5.html
From that page:
Arroyo Aguaje Guillermo Palms

Over 100 blue and fan palms were found by Neal and Marian
after a mile hike from the road end.
The unmapped road is 0.4 mile north of La Virgen, and then a 4.4 mile drive east.
Another great discovery by the Johns', thanks for sharing with us!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 09:48 AM
El Camino Real Map by Howard Gulick

Here is a zoom in, with a big blue arrow on Agua Dulce and small red arrows on the three waterholes of Agua Escondida, San Nicolas, and San Antonio:

Note location of Rancho Santa Ines (Ynez) and Mission Santa María for reference points as well as the auto road in 1954.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 10:45 AM
On Google Earth

Agua Dulce, La Virgen, Santa Ynez and Mission Santa María are excatly located. Agua Escondida and San Antonio are close if not spot on.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 10:52 AM
With San Nicolas estimated...

Watering locations were 5-10 miles apart. There were exceptions on other parts of El Camino Real!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.