Author: Subject: Joys and Sorrows of The Baja Road
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Diane,

There have been many times when we've almost been met head on by someone who takes their piece out of that middle lane around a corner.

Idiots.
Just like the middle lane drivers, corners don't seem to bother the passers either.

P<*)))>{

Pauline, your post brought back a memory of a time when I thought for sure I was going to die on the Baja Road. I was on a long cross-country trip on a motorcylce..starting in North Dakota and ending at my home south of Mulege. Over 4000 miles of fun and scenery and nary a problem...until the Baja Road.

1991 - I was southbound on The Road just south of El Rosario a few miles, where it gets mountainous and curvy. I cruised up the winding lonesome highway heading for a curve to the right...leaning into it as I went...going fast..enjoying the exhileration of an open Baja highway and the warm Baja sun. What could possibly be better?

Whoa!..suddenly 2 speeding cars came slamming around the curve...racing with each other and coming at me FAST! It happened so quick I had maybe a second to make up my mind.

Quick! Rock walls to the right, a deep cliff to the left?..to hell with that..and, rocking up, down the middle I went...! I saw the sheer shocked look on the right side driver's face as I flew right between those two idiots. The look on that guy's face will be with me forever. His eyes went wide as dinner plates.

I can tell you I thought I was a goner for sure..there could not have been an inch to spare on each side of my handlebars. I thought it was going to be just a big..
SPLAT!

I slowed to stop by just letting the bike idle down..I was shaking so much I didn't dare touch the brakes at all. When I coasted to a stop, I tried to throw the kickstand down with my left foot, but my legs were shaking so much I simply fell over, with the bike on top of me. The cycle's hot muffler burned my calf pretty good..enough that I still have a scar.

I took some really great looks around right about then.

No..niether driver came back to see if I was okay.

My machine: 750 Kawasaki Vulcan Roadster.
(And this self-photo of me with the matchbook and the forest fire behind is A JOKE!

Diver can tell you that I like fires..but in my firepit only!)

Anecdote to the near miss on the highway.

After I got to my home in Coyote Bay on the bike, I was horsing around one day before our volleyball game on my front yard..and crashed into the damn net..and added a scar to the other leg. Sheesh.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 04:31 PM

Cutting the curves by crossing over the center line can save you 100 miles from the border to Cabo.
:tumble:
Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 09:55 PM

And shave a good 50 years off your life.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-31-2009 at 10:36 PM

I'm with Baja Gringo on this one. You'd never had got my picture though as I only "take the middle" on long straight strecthes and move back into my lane as soon as I detect anyone else around or even suspect a blind cureve or vado ahead.

My drivers ed teacher (I'm not sure they teach it anymore) used to cover the rear view mirror with his hand as we drove and asked, "what color car is behind you?"

He explained that is was just as important to who was behind you and what they were doing, as it was to know who and what is in front of you. He said it was a good habit, that would keep me from getting many tickets. Jeeez.. that guy was damm smart. The only speeding ticket I ever got was from a motorcycle cop via radar. he was hiding in a shadow in Pasadena and nailed me even though I was being passed by a car in the fast lane.

I once rode in a taxi on the mainland.. our 10 mile trip took place mostly in the oncoming lane. (it was flat as a board, our side full of huge potholes, the other side freshly paved). Sometimes the rules need to get blurred.. ironically.. for safeties sake.

Unfortunately.. people that are not aware of other people on the road are unsafe in any lane at any speed.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
I once rode in a taxi on the mainland.. our 10 mile trip took place mostly in the oncoming lane. (it was flat as a board, our side full of huge potholes, the other side freshly paved). Sometimes the rules need to get blurred.. ironically.. for safeties sake.

Mango, your post reminds me of the Baja Road back in the day...constant potholes and vast stretches of broken asphalt. That day started 2 weeks after the 'pavement' was finished. (We called it painting, not paving.)

The chances of staying in your proper lane were slim to none...No, make that none, period.

Anybody who has not made that trip of 600-800 miles through those potholed minefields will not understand how bad it really was for ALL drivers. Actually, it was to become a common bond between tourists and locals, truckers, whoever spent time on that tortured highway.

The general topic of discussion wasn't the weather, it was The Condition of the Road.

"How many tires did you go through?"

"Did you spot my Volkswagen in that pothole by El Rosario?"

"How many days did you camp by that flooded vado?"

"So, Tom & Patty, when do the casts come off?"

"Did you see that burro skeleton propped up by Viscaino?"

"Manuel, how many cows does that make for you now?"

Yes indeed, to navigate The Road you had to dodge potholes for hundreds of miles. Mostly you straddled the middle where the fewest craters would ruin your tires. The edges were gone from the old, over-loaded 3-ton trucks that roared up and down the Road. (Remember back in the day, you never saw a modern semi-truck, a tractor trailer?...there was just the old beat-up stake-beds with no muffler and a huge cattle-guard grill...bloodied.)

Anyway...taking your half out of the middle on a straightaway stretch where you can see clearly for miles is perfectly okay. Grew up that way in the Vast Lane of North Dakota.

As for crowding the centerline on blind curves...rest in peace.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

The chances of staying in your proper lane were slim to none...No, make that none, period.

Anybody who has not made that trip of 600-800 miles through those potholed minefields will not understand how bad it really was for ALL drivers. Actually, it was to become a common bond between tourists and locals, truckers, whoever spent time on that tortured highway.

The general topic of discussion wasn't the weather, it was The Condition of the Road.

Several parts of the Tortugas road remind us of those old days. We like to get behind another vehicle so they can lead us from side to side and on and off the road----it is an adventure in driving like a snake and playing the guessing game, "How deep does that one look?"

Hopefully money is available soon and they start filling again---at least it lasts for a while. ;)

Bad roads do make friends, however as we collected six people as passengers due to the bad road. Spare tires are a luxury item.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes indeed, to navigate The Road you had to dodge potholes for hundreds of miles. Mostly you straddled the middle where the fewest craters would ruin your tires. The edges were gone from the old, over-loaded 3-ton trucks that roared up and down the Road. (Remember back in the day, you never saw a modern semi-truck, a tractor trailer?...there was just the old beat-up stake-beds with no muffler and a huge cattle-guard grill...bloodied.)

Anyway...taking your half out of the middle on a straightaway stretch where you can see clearly for miles is perfectly okay. Grew up that way in the Vast Lane of North Dakota.

When I first motorcycled the highway in '74 I thought it was the greatest motorcycle road in the world. Smooth asphalt, little traffic, and great scenery and destinations. As you point out that changed rapidly, within another year or two that thin paving had broken up and there were potholes that could swallow my nice CB750 whole. The center was the best and I mostly rode right down the middle. I always liked those old trucks, great paint jobs!
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Thanks for the story. I agree with you I'v been down a few of those roads myself.

I find it's pretty important to try to make eye contact via a mirror with the person I'm trying to pass; because, so many are so clueless to other people on the road. One thing Mexicans do have right is to use their blinkers to aid people to pass safely.

I just get upset with the people who tailgate me through the turns and get upset I don't "signal" them around. I'm sorry.. But, unless I can see far enough ahead to ensure a safe pass, I'm not signaling.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:57 PM
Is he turning left dear? No honey he's signaling me to pass

Quote:

One thing Mexicans do have right is to use their blinkers to aid people to pass safely.

Except for that stupid left turn signal truckers use for you to pass,with eye contact only to find out they really are gonna make a left.!!:wow::o:O:wow::o:O

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 06:12 PM
I got used to, and like, those Mexican driving customs too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango

.... One thing Mexicans do have right is to use their blinkers to aid people to pass safely.

I just get upset with the people who tailgate me through the turns and get upset I don't "signal" them around. I'm sorry.. But, unless I can see far enough ahead to ensure a safe pass, I'm not signaling.

Most assuredly, Mango. The clear-to-pass signal is a good one and serves to inform both passer and passee that it's good to go. Makes it sooo much safer. Newcomers to Baja highways should try to learn these customs and use them.

But, I'm afraid we're losing a few of the older driving signals. It used to be when you met an uncoming vehicle in daylight with it's lights on, it meant trouble ahead. Cows, accident, whatever..it was a real road hazard and you had best slow way down and keep alert. Nowadays, with all the new visitors cars running with thier lights during daylight hours, that custom is fast disappearing. Seems a lot of Canadian cars run with lights on...right from the factory.

The old headlight danger signal is trumped by Big Brother. :rolleyes:

Then there's the standing Tecate can on the shoulder..most times with a small rock on top. 'A Baja road flare.' Almost never see one anymore.

Thank God, the large rocks placed on the road are pretty much history. Now THAT was a dangerous custom.

Anyway, the Road is there..and we're going to make the trip.. regardless. Stay safe, all. Easter is here!

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 06:27 PM

And just when you think you can get around if you stay way over to the left........

044-2.JPG - 49kB
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 07:25 PM

Love that photo, Bill. Been there, done that.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 06:27 AM
The Joys and Sorrows of The Baja Highway

I have very nostalgic views of the Baja Highway. The 1,000 mile Transpeninsular Highway...Mexico Hwy 1.

Long before that new pavement was created, a whole generation of us formed memories of the old Camino Real and the friends we made on those wild explorations...

An amusing true story of Baja Sur's first cars:
Baja's early years down San Jose del Cabo way. In the late 1920s, one of the town's leading families acquired and somehow imported one of the first motor vehicles into Baja California Sur, a brand new Ford Model A.
Shortly thereafter, a second leading family responded by also buying a Model A and bringing it to town. Within two weeks, both cars were totaled in a head-on collision.

And that started a whole new tradition.

...then the new highway in 1973...and thus began the experiences and trials of driving The Road... and continues right up to today's new visitors.

As we all know, Baja driving just seems to cause a lot of angst, accidents, and incidents. We expect it!

The New Road.
It takes you back to that time when The Road was built by sheer grunt and improvised efforts..struggling for every meter gained through boulder fields and mountainous country. It was quite a sight to see.

Yesterday when coming back into Coyote Bay I passed an old familar sight on a rockface overlooking the camping beach below. I had seen this scar so many times, thinking about the old days of road building here.... and finally stopped to take it's picture.

Now....
Here is one of those scars left behind from the building of The Road. A reminder of days gone by.

Got some road memories..old or new, happy or sad...to share?

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by Pompano]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 06:41 AM

come the 24th we're gonna break in the tundra and make some new memories......

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 07:26 AM

Knowing that "rock" was there would have my attention every time I passed under it. It could ruin one's day.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 08:01 AM

Here's a "we were very lucky" memory:

I think this was about 1990, when the main road from Cabo to San Jose ran through Costa Azul. After a tropical storm dumped an unbelievable amount of rain on the area, we made a trip to Llomas del Tule to see if our property washed away. To get there and back, we had to cross the wash at Costa Azul, which was flowing pretty good. All cars and small 2wd trucks had to be pulled across by a tow truck.

On our return trip to San Jose, we were waiting our turn to cross when one of those old- type, three axle long haul trucks lumbered up the hill in the opposite direction next to us. Suddenly the right front of our truck dropped down and Oladulce was staring into a 20 foot deep trench. The vibrations from the large truck caused the dirt under the roadway to sluff off. Fortunately we didn't go with it!

We were lucky the tow truck guy was able to hook up and pull us out without incident. Our large front bumper was the only thing supporting the truck and kept it from going over the edge.

[Edited on 4-3-2009 by BigWooo]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Suddenly the right front of our truck dropped down and Oladulce was staring into a 20 foot deep trench. The vibrations from the large truck caused the dirt under the roadway to sluff off. Fortunately we didn't go with it!

Gees, if I had been in Oladulce's place, I don't think I would still be here----I can hear my heart pounding out of my chest now!

Diane

nancyinpdx
Nomad

Mood: muy eccentrica

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Suddenly the right front of our truck dropped down and Oladulce was staring into a 20 foot deep trench. The vibrations from the large truck caused the dirt under the roadway to sluff off. Fortunately we didn't go with it!

Gees, if I had been in Oladulce's place, I don't think I would still be here----I can hear my heart pounding out of my chest now!

Diane

YIKES!!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 11:45 PM

I miss the old highway.

There was a sense of deep satisfaction when you managed to pass through a minefield of potholes by skirting them perfectly with all four tires. A snap of the wrist to the left followed by a quick right. You got to a point of knowing instantly which ones could be passed at full speed and which ones just left you no option other than to slow down to almost a full stop.

Now that was driving. That road had character.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 12:24 AM

Nochitsherlock!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.