Author: Subject: Joys and Sorrows of The Baja Road
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I miss the old highway.

There was a sense of deep satisfaction when you managed to pass through a minefield of potholes by skirting them perfectly with all four tires. A snap of the wrist to the left followed by a quick right. You got to a point of knowing instantly which ones could be passed at full speed and which ones just left you no option other than to slow down to almost a full stop.

Now that was driving. That road had character.

Thinking back, Igor, those potholed Road days were great times indeed.

Of course at the time the air got a little blue when you blew a tire or broke a tie rod! Ah..those pothole dodgings! You really did become good at judging & missing 'em. Most of us, anyway...I remember a friend from Mulege who hit a pothole so hard he rolled his van, broke both legs and his collarbone. Poor Don, Nicht zu gut!

But we mostly survived..and developed a sixth sense about the Road ahead.

Little hints like this would warn you:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 12:14 PM

You can always throw a line...while you wait for a safe time to cross...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 12:45 PM
Taking Your Half Out of the middle

I like taking my half out of the middle when no one is affected....But not just now.

Closing velocity=120mph+
Clearance= 2-6 inches??
Dropping off the "shoulder"- not an option

Just returned from a trip to Mulege and Conception Bay and returned with a 40ft RV pulling a jeep. Driving a big RV with a marsh mellow suspension definitely does not allow for much meandering. Passed through the "danger zone" from Catavena to El Rosario without incident. All in all a fun trip.

I wish I could have taken a picture of a 18 wheeler saving a bunch of lives ahead of me. A pickup full of people were passing everything on the road until they got to the 18 wheeler. When they pulled out to pass him he whipped the trailer into the passing lane so fast it was amazing, blocking them and forcing them back. In an instant 3 oncoming vehicles flew up out of an arroyo ahead and would have been a sure head on with the pickup with very ugly consequences. My hat is off to these truckers.

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by LancairDriver]
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

When I first motorcycled the highway in '74 I thought it was the greatest motorcycle road in the world. Smooth asphalt, little traffic, and great scenery and destinations. As you point out that changed rapidly, within another year or two that thin paving had broken up and there were potholes that could swallow my nice CB750 whole.

Kurt, don't you wish you still had the CB750. There's quite a loyal following for those bikes now. I had a '78 CB550 in 1980 and it was the best bike I ever owned. I get very excited about the idea of owning another road bike if I could get a hold of a 70's era 750 in nice condition.

Our first trip down the peninsula, we played leapfrog all day with a man on a 74ish CB750 all the way into San Ignacio and, coincidentally, both ended up at Rice and Beans for the night. Got to talking to him and he was a Scottish graduate student going to school in Boston. He'd become enamored with the 750's, bought one in fine shape and drove from east to west coast in the U.S. and now was driving down Baja with nary a problem on a 25 year old bike. They're bulletproof.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver

I wish I could have taken a picture of a 18 wheeler saving a bunch of lives ahead of me. A pickup full of people were passing everything on the road until they got to the 18 wheeler. When they pulled out to pass him he whipped the trailer into the passing lane so fast it was amazing, blocking them and forcing them back. In an instant 3 oncoming vehicles flew up out of an arroyo ahead and would have been a sure head on with the pickup with very ugly consequences. My hat is off to these truckers.

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by LancairDriver]

Great truck driver.

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by jdtrotter]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Quote:

When I first motorcycled the highway in '74 I thought it was the greatest motorcycle road in the world. Smooth asphalt, little traffic, and great scenery and destinations. As you point out that changed rapidly, within another year or two that thin paving had broken up and there were potholes that could swallow my nice CB750 whole.

Kurt, don't you wish you still had the CB750. There's quite a loyal following for those bikes now. I had a '78 CB550 in 1980 and it was the best bike I ever owned. I get very excited about the idea of owning another road bike if I could get a hold of a 70's era 750 in nice condition.

Our first trip down the peninsula, we played leapfrog all day with a man on a 74ish CB750 all the way into San Ignacio and, coincidentally, both ended up at Rice and Beans for the night. Got to talking to him and he was a Scottish graduate student going to school in Boston. He'd become enamored with the 750's, bought one in fine shape and drove from east to west coast in the U.S. and now was driving down Baja with nary a problem on a 25 year old bike. They're bulletproof.

Hi KurtG and El Camote,

Perhaps this collage of motorcycles will remind you of those times you rode the Baja Highway. On your CB550's and 750's. What great trips those were...and are still!

Plus i included a pic of a 1962 Honda Superhawk that I took from ND to San Diego and back . Great trip thru parks, deserts, and mountains. Broke a couple of chains, but had a blast with the wind in my face..nothing like the freedom of the road. Many, many years and bikes later now. :rolleyes:

Thank God for that old Baja Highway. It gave us a chance to be Parnelli Jones' and Huckleberry Finns for a little while. It's all fun!

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 04:10 PM

Guilty also.
I use both lanes when there is clear visability ahead to get back to my side.
Baja Leti says I drive too fast.
Baja Leti says I am too agro while passing.
Baja Leti says "NO" when I ask her if she wants to get behind the wheel for a while. :)

We have gotten comments and nasty looks often while caravaning with other rigs using our radios to call traffic (weather), pass on hills, blind corners etc.

One vehicle takes point, each vehicle asks for weather, if clear well ahead by point vehicle, the pass is made regardless of road configuration. Then that rig radios that they are clear. All radio traffic is forbidden except between the point rig and the current passer until the carravan is all clear. Only then is normal (relative) radio comm resumed.

Crossing paths later in the day with a motorist we have passed at a stop can be a challenge untill the process is explained, then they understand we are not a pack of lunatics.

I know the road after all these years pretty well and I don't think I take too many unnecessary chances while traveling as a solo rig.
I do admit that traveling at times faster in the dirt that on the pavement can make me a bit lazy. That's probably not a good thing.

I've already visualized avoiding the problem "other guy" by just leaving the road, unless of course there is a cliff, then you would have to take a hit. :?:

Pa-in-law got blown off the pavement by a oncoming speeding semi and hooked his trailer tires off the pavement. Instead of ripping both trailer tires off the rims or wrecking, he just went with the flow at 55 mph and took his F350 and trailer out in the dirt. They were lucky they didn't hit anything, just changed their undies and proceded.

Now that I have wrecked the Bronco (in the dirt) I ponder how my new mindset will be. Lewis and Lewis came through on the insurance settlement, but I will still spend alot of my own time getting repairs done. More sweat equity in GSB was not in my plans.
Will I be more cautious on or off road???
I also feel that the challenge of Mx 1 is part of the allure of Baja for me. I guess if I lived down south and had to drive it as much as some of you do, the adventure would wear off soon enough.
Time will tell.

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it was a great bike, mine was a '73. Bought it in Monterey and headed for Baja!
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 05:13 PM

Roger,
Superhawk 305! Bought one new in Mpls. in Sept '65 and in Oct rode it to Monterey. Freezing rain in Wyoming and I remember riding into Wells, Nv. so cold that the lady at the motel front desk had to help me take my jacket off. My frozen hands had stopped working, couldn't even sign the registration. Had to go take a long hot shower and then come back and register. No good cold weather riding apparel like we enjoy now but I was young and recovered quickly and I knew the California sun was waiting just a day or two further!
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 07:29 PM

Roger, thanks for the photo trip down moto lane! The second stock 550 was identical to mine. I always kept wax on the tank and used simichrome polish on the metal. I crashed it twice but always rebuilt it. The second time I broke my arm but didn't know it and drove it with twisted handlebars several miles to the emergency room. To be young and daring, huh?

Don't know why, but I eventually sold it to an adventure-ready, amazonian gal friend and she toured all over the southwest then she sold it to another girl I knew who did the same.

Kurt, I've been threatening to do it for several years but have a deadline of my 50th looming in the not-so-distant future and want to do a long moto down Baja. Do you make your runs solo? Do you ever camp? Ever go with a group and use a sag wagon? Seems a great way to go would be with a 2 or three bikes and another driving a 4 wheeler with camping gear.
It's good to dream....:light:

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 09:38 PM

Quote:

Kurt, I've been threatening to do it for several years but have a deadline of my 50th looming in the not-so-distant future and want to do a long moto down Baja. Do you make your runs solo? Do you ever camp? Ever go with a group and use a sag wagon? Seems a great way to go would be with a 2 or three bikes and another driving a 4 wheeler with camping gear.
It's good to dream....:light:

I have a couple of riding buddies that sometimes ride along but if I sit around waiting for somebody to ride with I would never get a chance to travel. I often ride solo from where I live 300 miles north of the border but sometimes we truck the bikes to San Felipe. My KLR650 is a pretty good highway bike and a pretty good rough road bike but too heavy for a true dirt bike especially with my camping gear on board. I like to ride down to Mulege, take off the gear and then do the back roads into the mountains. A support vehicle would be great but I never seem to convince anyone to do that for me. I am a very minimalist camper so not much gear. I debate with myself a lot about solo riding in remote areas but always end up doing it anyway. I prep my bike as well as I can and have just recently started carrying a Spot Messenger "just in case." I'm 65 now and don't know how many more years of riding I can put in but I'm not ready to stop quite yet. I'll be aiming the bike south in about two weeks. There is nothing like waking up on a beautiful beach with the sun rising out of the Sea of Cortez---
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:32 AM
Baja Road Hazards

Here's some common Baja Road hazards. Stuff we have all come across or had happen to us while making that ever-changing trip down..or up..the Baja Highway.

They will most likely be recognizable by Baja Road Vets and will hopefully forecast potential dangers to first-timers. So, for what its' worth, here's some hazards we have encountered over the history of the highway.

Pedestrians on The Road

There are always LOTS of people walking alongside roads in Baja. In towns and in the countryside. The jugs this walker carrys indicate a request for water if you have some.

Animals on The Road:

In addition to livestock, there is always plenty of wildlife on The Road too. Deer, coyote, fox, mapache, roadkill buzzards, and all kinds of critters big and small run, walk, flutter, lope, crawl and slither across The Road.

I once swerved violently to avoid a good-sized wolf spider that appeared suddenly from the desert, high-stepping-it across the pavement. It had quite a distinctive scurrying motion...looking like a cross between a slinky and a tiny tip-toeing ballerina on steroids. :yes:

The 1000 miles of the trans-peninsular highway is still mostly open range. More fences are going up all the time, but there are vast areas where livestock of every description free-graze...and they all particularly love the fresh growths alongside the highway.

Most travelers will come across the following sights somewhere down The Road. Be alert!

Just because there's a fence doesn't mean the livestock are going to stay inside it...the grass is ALWAYS greener over here by the highway.

Go too fast past one of these big guys and it can ruin your day...and unfortunately, thiers too.

There will always be a dog trying to cross in front of you..let him.

Then again, some of them will just lay there...watching the parade pass by. Generally these pregnant gals are not going to move very fast, so please slow down.

Stay alert to your surroundings and direction of travel...because...if you see these road hazards, you may have taken the wrong turn... :rolleyes:

...and ended up on the Yukon Highway instead!

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 08:30 AM

Great stories, folks.

Is anyone still peddling those "I Survived Mex 1" stickers?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 04:14 PM

Great thread Pompano. As always, I've had a great afternoon reading these comments. My biggest bike (bike?) was a CB360T Honda, and almost 'brought it down" one year. Nice to 'project' ones self, into anothers actual trip. And the discussions of the potholes, sure brought back great (maybe not really so great) memories. Yes, someday, Mex 1 will be like driving I-5, and memories of the "good ole days" will be held by the 'old soaks', and I'm wondering what stories will be told during the 2020's era of their trips to Cabo & back???????? Thanks to all of the pic's. Keep them coming.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 06:39 PM
Baja Hwy "Problems"

You need to know when to go...

and when to get out...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
You need to know when to go...

and when to get out...

I think I'd get out...

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 04:58 AM
ONE METHOD OF LIVESTOCK FATTENING

I guess that is one way to fatten up livestock in Baja. Just not the preferred way! Thank goodness the carnicerias boys were not out there.

Note: This double photo was hijacked from Pompano to make it smaller.

Note: God forgive me!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 05:18 AM
David...not so far off the truth.

It's just another 'hazard' benefit of the Baja Road.

Got Roadkill? Waste not..want not.

Have some unsuspecting amigos taste test first...just in case.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
It's just another 'hazard' benefit of the Baja Road.

Have some unsuspecting amigos taste test first...just in case.

Fur sure!

[Edited on 4-8-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

[Edited on 4-8-2009 by ELINVESTI8]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 06:17 AM
..and in case anyone is still hungry..

Another snack from The Road.

Yeah, I know..just kidding. This was from The Badlands of North Dakota. (Just posted this on the sting ray thread by Russ... and having too much fun this morning!)

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.