Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Asuncion to Abreojos
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 09:03 AM
Asuncion to Abreojos

Spent a week in Asuncion and wanted to visit south.
That 50-55 mile stretch may be the fastest, smoothest piece of dirt road in all of Baja.
We had an emergency to attend to in Abreojos (see the post on the shipwreck) and I drove down in my F-150 in just over an hour. (could have been less but had another vehicle tagging along)
Lots of fast sailing on the hardpacked tidal flats,
the rest was graded, wide and fast.
You could drive your Bentley down that road and not be troubled.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
That 50-55 mile stretch may be the fastest, smoothest piece of dirt road in all of Baja.
We had an emergency to attend to in Abreojos (see the post on the shipwreck) and I drove down in my F-150 in just over an hour. (could have been less but had another vehicle tagging along)

July, 2007... was pretty good then, too... A lot of traffic makes the washboard worse.

707 194r.JPG - 21kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 09:50 AM

Quote:

You are lucky you hit it when it had been graded---it can and does get VERY washboardy. The tidal flats are great, except after it rains. :lol: But that doesn't happen too often.

We love that stretch of Baja---hope next time you will have more time to stop and explore. There are some really great beaches along there.

Diane

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 10:01 AM
What is the best route for this rig to Abrejos/Asuncion?

For you fellows and gals that live over there..or know the roads quite well? What route from the Mulege area would be the best for this 33ft motorhome? I'll be pulling a boat, also, and don't really want to trash the rigs. Thanks.

RV TRIP - LOMPOC, OCEANSIDE, OREGON COAST, WINCHESTER BAY (8).JPG - 45kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 10:17 AM

Love that drive! Smooooth sailing for sure. The graded portion can be a bit more brutal but as long as you air down it's not so bad.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 02:36 PM

Thanks whistler, bajarunner..and you, too, capt. george,

I can't see spending all that time screwing the cabinents back on...and restocking our breakables in the pantry. ;D

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by Pompano]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 02:43 PM

Can relate to the story of the cabinets.

On our last trip in the Ford/Lance between driving into Ojo de Liebre and then into Punta Chivato +-50 miles offroad total, I found 2 bolts and 3 screws on the floor of the camper and haven't found where they go yet! I guess I should be happy the cabinets didn't fall off!

Ken

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by tripledigitken]
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Can relate to the story of the cabinets.

On our last trip in the Ford/Lance between driving into Ojo de Liebre and then into Punta Chivato +-50 miles offroad total, I found 2 bolts and 3 screws on the floor of the camper and haven't found where they go yet! I guess I should be happy the cabinets didn't fall off!

Ken

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by tripledigitken]

:lol::lol::lol: I'm still holding a nice shiny bolt from under my dash somewhere that rattled out on the way to Turtle Bay a couple of years ago.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

I can't see spending all that time screwing the cabinents back on...and restocking our breakables in the pantry. ;D

If you don't want to loose those cabinets on the way from Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion

1. Road from Vizcaino to the turn off has areas of broken road and pothole heaven---like the old road. Some are not deep and others, well, you know the story. Nasty topes by the power plant.

2. Road into Bahia Asuncion
First paved part was damaged in a storm---there is a rough spot not too far from the main road---no problem, unless it sneaks up on you. Also, some broken parts and the beginnings of potholes----such thick pavement they used. :lol:

Second paved part is beautiful---clear going

Where they are paving the next part, there is a diversion road----7 km of slow.

Then the last 12 miles of dirt can range from great to bumpity, bumpity, bumpty and there are a couple of soft spots---no real problem. And for the MoHo, IMHO, certainly better than over 50 miles of maybe good and maybe not dirt road.

When you can first see the town there is a Y in the road. The one that looks straight ahead and is on the right looks like the most direct route. It is the roller coaster road.

The main road is to the left and follows the power lines.

Have Fun

Diane

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by jdtrotter]

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:20 PM
Must be a really fast paving crew

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Pompano,
Getting to Abreojos from Mulege should be no problem.The road in is now paved all the way to town.To get to Asunsion,I would go in from Viscaino since the condition of the road to and from is always questionable.
Years back,before the road was paved my friend followed me in his motorhome,towing an early Bronco with a car top boat on top of the Bronco.Thought all went well till we entered the motor home.All his cabinets were on the floor.

The road is definitely not paved all the way to town.

As stated, about 12-15 miles out you will hit a crew that is working on a short stretch for paving, perhaps 5 or 6 miles, and will be routed to a rough side road, then on the regular unpaved road into town.

Well, at least that was the status one week ago.

Continuing on south to Abreojos will be a breeze.

And yeah, those potholes just out of Viscaino come up real fast, and some apparently do not have bottoms, just infinite craters in the pavement....
just kidding, but they are nasty.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Pompano,
Getting to Abreojos from Mulege should be no problem.The road in is now paved all the way to town.To get to Asunsion,I would go in from Viscaino since the condition of the road to and from is always questionable.
Years back,before the road was paved my friend followed me in his motorhome,towing an early Bronco with a car top boat on top of the Bronco.Thought all went well till we entered the motor home.All his cabinets were on the floor.

I think he was referring to the road from Highway 1 to Abreojos. It used to be dirt---

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:39 PM

Cabinets? A few years ago I lost a camper shell on THAT road (Puertecitos-Gonzaga). Thankfully, it was just an old $100 aluminum and wood shell. Apparently the wood part that bolted to the side rails was somewhat deteriorated. The vibration did its thing and about halfway down it just lifted up and flew off the back. I stopped and surveyed what was left, not worth trying to salvage. A Chicano family coming up behind me helped me drag it out of the middle of the road. They were joking that it would probably become a taco stand. Bad luck for me, good luck for some aluminum scavenger.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:51 PM
oooops wrong road

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Quote:
Pompano,

I think he was referring to the road from Highway 1 to Abreojos. It used to be dirt---

You are correct, I read it too quickly.
He would not want to drive/tow that rig into Asuncion from Viscaino, but could certainly drive up and back from Abreojos.
That would not be a problem in the present condition of the coastal road.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 03:57 PM

What happened to the Asuncion road???

In 2007, it was paved to the turnoff (west of Vizcaino), on the Bahia Tortugas highway... with new pavement many miles south already in, but blocked off... I thought Shari said there was only 5 or so dirt miles remaining... and those are graded dirt miles. Surely a motorhome could go slow for 5 miles, and dodge a few pot holes on the thin pavement?

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What happened to the Asuncion road???

In 2007, it was paved to the turnoff (west of Vizcaino), on the Bahia Tortugas highway... with new pavement many miles south already in, but blocked off... I thought Shari said there was only 5 or so dirt miles remaining... and those are graded dirt miles. Surely a motorhome could go slow for 5 miles, and dodge a few pot holes on the thin pavement?

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by David K]

David,
The new pavement that you saw going in 2007 was completed and then it was damaged during the big storm---that is the part I said to be very careful on as some rough road sneaks up on you. And, there are still some parts where the road broke on the sides---some have been fixed, and others are not quite done. It was sad seeing the damage that was done to that brand new road.

Since then, they completed about another 7 km and it is great.

They are not working on another 7km and there is the diversion dirt road. Once that pavement is complete, it is still another 12 miles of graded dirt into town. As I said before, sometimes it is real bumpy---

Now, if you can time your visit for when the Governor is coming, it will be freshy graded.

However, that would be my preferred way of taking in a MOHO and have seen some do it----to me, it is better than the 50+ miles of dirt from Abreojoes to Asuncion, UNLESS--

If it stays in the condition thebajarunner says it is, maybe, but we sure have seen it not so good--- no problem, but would not want to take a MoHo on it.

So, Pompano, you have different opinions---

On Edit---also, David the Tortugas road is not in the same shape it was when you were there---

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by jdtrotter]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 04:32 PM

You guys think you are kidding about the cabinets !! ??

One my second trip into Asuncion, when the road was still mostly dirt, I was in a hurry.
After 2 flat tires I arrived at Shari's and opened the camper to find all the cabinet door hinges had let go and the doors were laying on the 2 bales of hay that I picked up in Viscaino.
Some Gorilla glue and longer screws and all was fine again. I wonder why they don't put longer screws in the hinges in the first place ?? :lol:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 05:50 PM

this is my story about Baja roads,,, its not as bad as the above storys but close
I sold a wealty Mexicali businessman a 5th wheel,,( I was then an RV dealer in yuma) part of the deal I was to deliver it to san felipe and park it in an RV park in town,,
any way,, I thought it might be fun for me and my wife to take it down ourselfs and have a few days of fun,, ( which we did)
but anyway, we went thru Algodonas,, after a few miles and a few large pot holes,, all of the hub caps went flying,, didnt stop,, well after several hours and many pot holes we arrived in SF,, got the 5th wheel parked ,, took a walk around , and noticed the sides of the 5th wheel was coming apart,, went inside,, and the cabinets was just hanging there they had almost dropped to the floor,, the businessman was there with his family,, an noticed the same thing ,, he and the family never said any thing to me at all,,
he was just glad that I got it to SF
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 06:53 PM
Boat guards, rock curtains, beefed-up trailers..

Great advice and stories about the rough road, loosing cabinets, trailers busting up, and all kinds of hell on the Baja trails! Don't you just love it?

Been there, done that.

We're no strangers to Baja's back country, plus Up North we have trails cut with a D-8 dozer through rocks and forest. One particularly hard ride is a 250-mile stretch of trailer-breaking road cut through the wilderness to reach a lake we camp/fish at in northern Canada.

Bears taking off with your coolers ...or your slowest runner...are your worst hazard at camps along that trail.

We beef up the trailer frames and beds, but the good ones are already built very tough up north anyway. Got to be for those bad roads. :yes: No lag screws or weak points, they would'nt last one trip.

We use boat guards like these to protect the boat hulls on the trailers. Else they would be pock-holed and ruined with walnut-sized rocks thrown from the logging trucks and other rigs on that torture trail.

I'll use that trailer and guard on the next Baja boat for it's trip to Abreojos and Asuncion, too. After all, it'll be a new fishing boat and I have to baby it .. until that first blemish that will bring a tear to my eye..

Also a good rock/gravel guard on both the tow rigs. No gravel or rock chips if we can help it..

Good advice here as always. One thing I will do for sure. Drive slowly. Rushing in will just add rattles I don't want. Plus all those screws clog up the vacuum cleaner.

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by Pompano]

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 08:58 PM
Loved that rollercoaster ride

When you can first see the town there is a Y in the road. The one that looks straight ahead and is on the right looks like the most direct route. It is the roller coaster road.

The main road is to the left and follows the power lines.

Have Fun

Some of those gullies were so deep and narrow i think your motorhome would be hitting front and rear bumpers at the same time. Did I say airborne YEEE HAW

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by BajaDanD]

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by BajaDanD]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 10:44 PM

Thanks JD,

I did tell you guys that those 'cheap' HIDs both broke on the road to Gonzaga Bay last New Years, right? Well, Baja Angel's son fixed them back up with fiberglass... It was the plastic ABS housing that cracked... the lights still work great (bright as the sun with only 35 watts of juice)!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.