Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Speling an gramer
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

rolleyes.gif posted on 4-10-2009 at 08:52 AM
Speling an gramer

No Mads,
Im shur that vrybudy trys ther best tu spel rite on this 4rum. sum of us tuk the smal buss ta skool and sum jus tok lyk that anywaz.

spelchek is a gud ideea....wher kan i by it?
how do I get it on to my komputr?

Skeet wud be a gud guy to prufreed the stuf pholks rite here

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 09:35 AM

iff yew gett thu fyrefoxx browsur spel chek comse awtomaticley!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 11:44 AM

Mye Xcuus is a cheep wyrles keebord.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 11:54 AM

Always proper spelling would take a lot of chuckles out of some Nomads posts. Leave it be. Also, proper spelling is no indication of education level or intelligence, so I've been told.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:04 PM

dianaji:

What red line are you talking about for spell check.

I really do not need it as I am a very profishent speller, it just my damn fingers make the misteaks.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:07 PM

I remember having to review criminal investigation reports on a daily basis written by college grad investigators. They were the worst spellers ever. But, because I loved them I always made the necessary corrections before submitting them for final type instead of sending them back with red ink corrections. I just used speel chack to make sure my speeling here is correct.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:17 PM

Spell check is just a crutch. Just don't think schools emphasize spelling, grammar or the understanding of words as they once did. I had an English teacher for two years in high school who daily posted eight words on the board and required students to look up their meaning as a homework assignment. He would randomly call on students each day to test if they did so. At the time, I though it un dolor en el culo. Later, I came to realize how valuable it was.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:25 PM

Glad to have some fun as well as the rash of opinions:P

I appreciate the proper use of the language...mostly thanks to a high school grammar/literature teacher...

These days I find that i have to resort to spellcheck or dictionaries at times....age and the usual excuses work:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 12:33 PM

JMHO, but I don't think forums are the place to worry about spelling. Also, spelling really does not have anything to do with intelligence, and for that matter education. Sometimes it has to do with hearing and how people hear words.

I have known and had extremely intelligent students who could not spell at all and some very average students who heard a word once and could spell it. It is a complicated fuction not fully understood.

However, we used to have our famous word list when we were teaching. It included things like

to, too, two,
its, it's
here, hear
where, wear
there, their, they're
February
neighbor
which, witch
so, sew, sow
a lot
right, correct
good, well
advice, advise
this, these (that because our students spoke Spanish as a first language and in English, these was often spelled this)

We had other lists, and yes, it was just plain boring drill, but many realized it was important when they would catch other teachers making the common mistakes.

Sow, I hope you here alot of witch I said. Alot of the time its not important, butt other times writing good helps with understanding. :lol:

What was horrifying was when a young English teacher asked us the difference between good and well. When we told her one was an adjective and the other an adverb, she responded with a totally blank stare.

Diane

[Edited on 4-10-2009 by jdtrotter]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 01:06 PM

The whole forum membership has some preferences that drive me batty but that's because I'm called a Prescriptive -- one who fights the changes in our language. For example the whole forum uses "that" for people, groups, policemen, ladies, men, children, neighbors, Nomads, doctors, cheapskates, etc. INSTEAD OF WHO OR WHOM. Somehow English speaking, well educated people perfer to dehumanize talk about people. I googled it up and the change is very curious and controversial -- seems grammarians are stumped about how and why we write that way.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 01:18 PM

Of course, there's also the situation where a misuse of a word ultimately is adopted as legitimate. There's no language police. Think of a ship foundering. It's acceptable today to use floundering. (Not to me). was always told that flounder was a fish.

Another one- regime v. regimen. Can anyone tell me what an exercise regime is?:rolleyes:
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 01:24 PM

I apologize if I spell with a southern accent at times, it my pa's fault! Connie
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 03:45 PM

Bajawowodd:

I share your concern. I've been fighting the desire to totally ignore the statements of anyone who uses the critically flawed: "I could care less." I LOVED the bumpersticker I saw in Texas (not my favorite place) which said: "If you ain't a cowboy, you ain't sh*t."

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 03:51 PM

The Texas bumper sticker is certainly inimical to the cowboy mentality, such as it is. I suppose there's an element of generational evolution involved. Idealogues would call it the "dumbing-down of our culture."
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:02 PM

You can't pick on cowboys alone. Write the word "Cavalry" on a piece of paper, show it to people on the street anywhere U.S.A. and see how many can read it, say it. Or for real kicks try "Realtor" -- in fact do it at a Realtor's convention and see how you do. Pretty soon we'll all be throwing in with the Realators and it will be time to call the Calvary.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:12 PM

:lol::lol::lol: Truth!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:13 PM

Right you are Osprey. I suspect there are far more Christians than historians in answer the first, and as a Home Inspector I was taught the sin of realator, however; I have probably heard it as often from Realtors as from normal people. Also, it was very estute of you to capitalize the copyrighted title.

I actually favor spell and grammar check. Each time I make a mistake I get the squiggly little lesson I need.:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:56 PM

i think i can spell pretty good. i know when it ain't right, even if i don't know the proper spelling. now CAPITALIZING is just too cumbersome for the hunter/pecker, or something like that. my 2nd grade teacher was right, i'm probably just lazy....:light:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:56 PM

I wish that worked for me because I keep mis spelling the same words over and over again even after my "lesson" and trying hard to remember the right way. Old age, dyslexia, probably just needing more gray matter or convolutions. Knowing better doesn't seem to help so what can I tell my grandkids?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 04:59 PM

tell them you spent their inheritance!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::light::light:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.