Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Been to Obreojos for the surf. Just never turned right at the junction in Vizcaino. Now, you guys have me wondering. Are you all nutz? Or am I missing a hidden paradise? Gonna be heading South soon.

If you like great dirt roads, there is a 50 + dirt road that connects Abreojos to Bahia Asuncion. Easier, however, coming the other way.

Our town is bigger and we have an easy to find surf spot not far out of town. There is also a small beginners surf beach in front of our home.

It is a beautiful little town with the nicest people anywhere. While there are a few places to eat, IMHO, by far, the best restaurant in town is Tres. Hermanos at the Hotel in town---However, Gloria was moving the restaurant to her house when we left, but I am sure the food will just as great.

The police are very friendly and helpful, and we really like the fairly new delegado. He has been very friendly and has told us he wants to work with the incoming ex-pats. He has also done some great things with removing trash---a work in progress.

If you are a surfer and have any old surfboards collecting dirt, bring them down. Our friend, Jamie Morales who is one of the officers of the local surf club, fixes them up for the kids.

We also have a mountain bike club, and well, I have written a lot about them and posted lots of pictures before.

And baseball---of course we have a baseball team.

OK, enough now----

Again, we look forward to our new neighbors. We have met TwoGringos a couple of times when they were in town and now look forward to meeting their partners. :yes:

Diane

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by jdtrotter]

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 09:49 AM

Question?
I have always wondered how people get to their vacation homes in Baja towns that are over 50 miles away from the nearest airport, like Asuncion or Todos Santos. If someone who lives in Los Angeles, buys a vacation home in Asuncion, and they want to visit the vacation home at least 6 times a year for a weekend or for a two week vacation or (if you have the finances and the time) for a week at a time, how do you get there?

Do you have to fly into, say, Loreto, rent a vehicle in Loreto, then drive to Asuncion, and then drive back to Loreto to return the rented vehicle and then fly back to LAX from Loreto? Or do you take a bus from Loreto to Asuncion? Or do you pay for a taxi ride? Or do you always drive to Ausuncion from the USA? Seems inconvenient and/or very expensive to me. Why not just buy a low costing place in Loreto about 1 mile from town? I don't know, I am just guessing. But, I am really curious about what most people do in that circumstance.

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by MitchMan]
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 09:56 AM

Yes, it does take a little more effort and planning to get to Bahia Asuncion but for most ( I think I speak for most) of us it is more than worth it.
Comparing the experience in Loreto to Bahia Asuncion is like comparing Paris to Tahiti...both great places but totally different in so many ways.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Question?
I have always wondered how people get to their vacation homes in Baja towns that are over 50 miles away from the nearest airport, like Asuncion or Todos Santos. If someone who lives in Los Angeles, buys a vacation home in Asuncion, and they want to visit the vacation home at least 6 times a year for a weekend or for a two week vacation or (if you have the finances and the time) for a week at a time, how do you get there?

Do you have to fly into, say, Loreto, rent a vehicle in Loreto, then drive to Asuncion, and then drive back to Loreto to return the rented vehicle and then fly back to LAX from Loreto? Or do you take a bus from Loreto to Asuncion? Or do you pay for a taxi ride? Or do you always drive to Ausuncion from the USA? Seems inconvenient and/or very expensive to me. Why not just buy a low costing place in Loreto about 1 mile from town? I don't know, I am just guessing. But, I am really curious about what most people do in that circumstance.

We go back and forth about every six weeks---we drive. Most of the time we do it in two days. It works for us very well.

While we enjoy visiting Loreto, it is too hot for us in the summer and we like to be out of Imperial Beach for most of the summer---too many tourists. :lol:

Also, Bahia Asuncion is old Baja---

Good luck selling your Loreto property.

Diane

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by jdtrotter]

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, Diane.

I was wondering if you would make a comment on how you feel about your particular safety and your feelings of your security on your frequent driving across the the US/Mexican border to go to Asuncion currently?

Thank you in advance.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Question?

I like Loreto but in Asuncion you don't have to worry about RE agents or developers pushing you to buy. And in all honesty, it's much more enjoyable and cost effective to make the drive to Asuncion that it is to fly into Loreto...at least in my opinion. We do it in a day...no worries or hurries...

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:21 AM

Longlegs: We won't stop having happy hours in La Paz, not to worry!

Bajahowodd and capitolkat We are not trading La Paz for Asuncion, just adding it! Because of the heat in La Paz we always head to our Boat in San Francisco area, now we won't have to go so far!

MitchMan: We have never had any issue crossing the borders or traveling in Mexico in general. It is difficult to relate to all the negative threads on the subject of car jackings, etc. We have driven down from the Bay area
many times without any issues.

Thank you for all the welcomes everyone! We look forward to meeting and spending many happy days in Asuncion!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:29 AM

Not trying to second guess, but isn't Todos Santos a summer refuge for many folks in La Paz? Maybe too pricey? Too close? Just asking. Trying to learn. Absolutely intend to take the plunge within the next year or two.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Not trying to second guess, but isn't Todos Santos a summer refuge for many folks in La Paz? Maybe too pricey? Too close? Just asking. Trying to learn. Absolutely intend to take the plunge within the next year or two.

Todos Santos is a lot hotter than Bahia Asuncion, a lot more developed, and a lot more expenseve.

Very different places---

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Question?

MitchMan, I can't & won't attempt to speak for everyone here, but I believe it's simply a matter of finding a place which speaks to our heart & continues to draw us back. We each end up where we do for as many personal & varying reasons as there are places in Baja to choose from! One person's paradise is another person's nightmare.:bounce: For me, it's all about listening to your heart & making the details work for you individually.

Don't forget there are many full-time residents down here who don't fall into the X-times a year vacation traveler.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 11:14 AM

Oh WOW...felicidadez lingilingi...really look forward to our first happy hour at your place!! Which house is it and when will we have the priviledge of meeting you? You will not be disappointed with BA!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 11:32 AM

Did you buy the new little house from Armando ?? Or something in town ?

Maybe we will be able to see your happy hour flag from our place, Trotters, Shari's and Gypsy's ? :light: :biggrin:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 01:03 PM

Ana, Steve, 'n both of you Gringos - That is soooo cool. Many congratulations!

You folks have this retirement thing down to an art.
The rest of the Asunciones are in for a real treat with the addition of your good company.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Question?

Mitchman,

Your comment got me thinking about our trips to Baja. We own a lot in the Mulege area and only visit currently. Have traveled several times a year for over 20 years. I have always driven, I have only flown into Cabo twice to fish. The drive, for me, is a big part of the enjoyment of going to Baja. My feelings are shared by almost everyone I know in Baja, with the exception of few that own private airplanes.

My avatar speaks to this subject. Driving at sunrise into a full moon, we wouldn't want to miss that!

So the criterion for living within 50 miles of an airport doesn't apply to us.

To each his own.

By the way I like Loreto very much, also.

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Question?

Los Angeles to Asuncion is a 2 day easy drive... and it could be done in one long day's drive... Asuncion is not much over 500 miles from the border and it's almost all paved. Los Angeles to the border is 2 hours (if no traffic).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 03:31 PM

Sharks, hostile locals, no fish. Last time I was there no ice either. Long drive and dangerous bumpy road after Viscainzo.
Don't go to Asuncion!
Go to Loreto Bay or Cabo!:cool:

[Edited on 4-24-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 11:09 AM

The influx of all those Lapzonians must be terrifying to the local populace.:saint::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 11:48 AM

Lapazonia sounds like a fictional country in a Marx Brothers movie.:lol:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 02:40 PM

Lapazonia sounds better than BA (=Bahia Asuncion). The store in town runs out of beer :oon Wednesdays, and Juan has to send to La Paz for Tequila. :lol::lol::lol:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 03:18 PM

Shari: We are in Casa Rosa down by the water. Stop by anytime.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Oh WOW...felicidadez lingilingi...really look forward to our first happy hour at your place!! Which house is it and when will we have the priviledge of meeting you? You will not be disappointed with BA!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.