BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Avoid Ensenada Immigration Office (If Possible)
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:05 PM
Avoid Ensenada Immigration Office (If Possible)

I just returned from baja and wanted to relay an experience we had at the Ensenada immigration office. This is just our experience so you can take it or leave it.

We headed down to Ensenada via the San Ysidro crossing. We got the red light and were pulled into secondary. (we were going to pull into secondary in order to get our tourist cards like we normally do, but the far right entrance was blocked off.) We were going on an offroad trip and were towing an offroad car. Because of this, there was nowhere to park and go obtain a tourist card. We figured "no problem" we'll get them in Ensenada once we drop off the trailer.

So we dropped the trailer in Ensenada and headed down to the Ensenada immigration office. We went in and there was no immigration officer behind the counter but were told he would be back soon. We waited about 25 minutes for this clown to show up. He arrived and we asked for two tourist cards. First, he told us since we did not obtain them in T.J. that we had to pay a fine (like $5.00 U.S. each) We figured this is B.S. but whatever it's Mexico. So this guy tells us we must go pay the fine first. He gives us a hand-drawn map to where we must go pay. It is 5 blocks away at some bank - we were not allowed to pay at the little bank located in the same building as my friend told me he has done before. Now it gets interesting - My buddy is going through his papers and an old tourist card falls out on this guy's desk. The guy snatches it up and says this is illegal and should have been turned in. (I know, but who stops on their return and does this? Anyone?) Anyway, the guy proceeds to tell my friend that he must go to T.J. and pay a fine before he can get his tourist card. How much you ask? Try $220.00 U.S.!!! We said O.K. and left. :lol::lol::lol:Needless to say, we did not get a tourist card this trip. We tried to do the right thing and get them, but Mexico makes everything so difficult that it is like they discourage you from getting them. This was the 1st trip in many years that I traveled without one and luckily we did not have any issues. Just food for thought......avoid Ensenada immigration office if possible.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:12 PM

When you pass through the border, take the FIRST RIGHT TURN, go to the 1st street and turn right and go about 50 meters to the paid parking lot on the right. At the rear edge of the parking lot (near the pedestrian bridge) you can access immigration, the bank, etc. Hope this helps.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:20 PM

Funny. You tried to do the right thing??? You did not follow the law... and when that did not work you just said screw it.... Bet you are all for building a fence as well:lol::lol::lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:22 PM

where's the fence?

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:24 PM

Its the one to keep illeagals out of Mexico.... Oh well they just sneak in
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 07:54 PM

Boe4fun - Thanks for the info!!! I will try that next time if the far right declaration lane is closed again. Is there room for vehicles with trailers. That's what this site is all about - people helping people!

norte - Remember this quote: "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and confirm it." I hear you.......
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Funny. You tried to do the right thing??? You did not follow the law... and when that did not work you just said screw it.... Bet you are all for building a fence as well:lol::lol::lol:

What's funny ?
He simply related his experience and I thank him.

Do you have a problem with the "fence" ?
If you knew in advance that someone was coming to break into your home, would you leave the door open ??
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
(we were going to pull into secondary in order to get our tourist cards like we normally do, but the far right entrance was blocked off.)

I was just through the far right lane last week. It looks like it's blocked off, but it's an automatic gate. You can get through.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 09:07 PM

Pacifico...... I feel your pain but, you know we are never right. It's their ballgame and we have to play by their rules. You can't use our indignation as a reason to do it our way. It doesn't work.
I'm not scolding you, buddy. I'm just trying to give you years of experience in a couple of sentences.
Just do as they say, even when it flys in the face of logic and common sense and all will be well. Put the discomfort behind you and have a good trip.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 09:42 PM

I'd just say to the man, "Sure thing, but to whom do I write the traveler's checks? I have 400 pesos cash and 800 dollars in traveler's checks."
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2009 at 11:19 PM

There have been so many posts about the Ensenada office. It's almost like they are "playing" gringos. Legally, there's no reason to fine anyone who just entered the country the same day. Perhaps the tourism folks should step in.
As for Mexicali, it's on the right also. Dif is you have to cross the street to get to the bank.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 05:53 AM
I KNOW WHAT IMMIGRATION GUY YOU GOT

I bet it was the little guy! This guy always gives me grief whenever I go there..... Years ago I went there with several people to obtain the their tourists papers and at that time there was no charge. He told everyone it costs $10 bucks and I called him on it and made a complaint to his boss and got him in trouble. Every time I go into this office he always asks me for my "papers" and I show him my FM2, he takes it, looks at every page and gives it back and walks away. He's an ass..... with an attitude!
bajabillybob
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:02 AM
Their rules?

Why is it we must play russian rulette every time we have to deal with a Mexican official down here. Its a roll of the dice and if you are lucky, you just get nicked 'a little bit'.
Mexico needs to cull the banditos out of any office that has the ability to impose a fine and enforce its laws across the board.

Somehow I do not see this happening any time soon.:mad:

Nothing to see here folks,move along .
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:13 AM

I think the message here is get rid of your expired visas. I have one in my van and one in my boat. I`m pitching those puppies!!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
I bet it was the little guy! This guy always gives me grief whenever I go there..... Years ago I went there with several people to obtain the their tourists papers and at that time there was no charge. He told everyone it costs $10 bucks and I called him on it and made a complaint to his boss and got him in trouble. Every time I go into this office he always asks me for my "papers" and I show him my FM2, he takes it, looks at every page and gives it back and walks away. He's an burro..... with an attitude!

Yep, he was a little guy. Major attitude right off the bat as well. A real "gringo hater" for sure. I was extremely nice and treated him with respect but I guess he was having a bad day!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
I think the message here is get rid of your expired visas. I have one in my van and one in my boat. I`m pitching those puppies!!

Definitely don't let one fall out on their desk!!! I gotta admit it was somewhat comical....What were the odds of my buddy's expired visa falling on his desk right in front of him? Lesson learned.....
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
My buddy is going through his papers and an old tourist card falls out on this guy's desk. The guy snatches it up and says this is illegal and should have been turned in. (I know, but who stops on their return and does this? Anyone?) Anyway, the guy proceeds to tell my friend that he must go to T.J. and pay a fine before he can get his tourist card. How much you ask? Try $220.00 U.S.!!! We said O.K. and left. :lol::lol::lol:Needless to say, we did not get a tourist card this trip. We tried to do the right thing and get them, but Mexico makes everything so difficult that it is like they discourage you from getting them. This was the 1st trip in many years that I traveled without one and luckily we did not have any issues. Just food for thought......avoid Ensenada immigration office if possible.

The fool is the one who breaks the law and then complains about it! Better luck next time and hope you don't get caught without your permit. The fine is even larger.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:11 AM

Does the tourist visa for 6 months allow for multi. entries until it expires, or do you have to turn it in upon leaving?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:16 AM

There is no checking for Tourist Cards in the entire state of Baja California and even state tourism officials have said that the entire state is in the 'border zone' so up to 7 days, no tourist card needed.

That contradicts with federal rules published in the past that say 72 hours max. time in the border zone... and the border zone ends at Maneadero on the Pacific side and either Mexicali or San Felipe on the gulf side?!

Their are some who say your Mexican auto insurance will be void without one or if you get into any legal problem, you are toast without one...

Nobody has ever posted here they were denied coverage or got jailed because they didn't have one, however... Not yet, anyway...???

If you can, I would get one... because they say: Better to have it and not need it... Then to need it and not have it!

[Edited on 5-1-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Does the tourist visa for 6 months allow for multi. entries until it expires, or do you have to turn it in upon leaving?

When they decided to charge a fee (tax) for tourist cards 8 or 9 years ago, they said the $20 FM-T was good for multiple entries... Turn it in before it expires.

With tourism so badly hurt by the tax, they offered a free 7 day card.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.