BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Avoid Ensenada Immigration Office (If Possible)
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 12:54 PM

I too remembered the law as FMT's not being required above Maneadero. I would think that it would be possible to get one in Ensenada without incurring a fine as it's not required until you go south of there (of course they don't even get checked until you cross into BCS at GN - and even then only if you cross during business hours).

I feel your pain and frustration. I too TRY to comply with their laws but I think most of us will agree that at times they do make it difficult. After 40 years of traveling south I still have no idea where we are supposed to turn them in on our return.

I also usually tow (a boat) when I drive down and they really don't make things conducive for us. I love the 120 degree turn to even get to the Imm office in Ensenada and then trying to find a place to park a 60' rig. Thank Gawd I didn't draw the short guy on that visit!

The actual laws may have changed and perhaps a FMT is now required at TJ. It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

In Memory of E-57
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I too remembered the law as FMT's not being required above Maneadero. I would think that it would be possible to get one in Ensenada without incurring a fine as it's not required until you go south of there (of course they don't even get checked until you cross into BCS at GN - and even then only if you cross during business hours).

Correct, Alan, but only for seven days. Longer than that in the Free Zone requires an FMT.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

Very true, Alan. I think this is one of the main problems. I have tried to get the free tourist card on trips less than 7 days and asked the immigration officer about it - he had no idea what I was talking about. Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:
It is just so hard to tell since the interpretations of the laws can change hourly depending on who you come in contact with.:lol:

Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.

That's the only place I have ever been checked to except years ago when they actually had a checkpoint at Maneadero.

In Memory of E-57
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:

Very true, Alan. I think this is one of the main problems. I have tried to get the free tourist card on trips less than 7 days and asked the immigration officer about it - he had no idea what I was talking about. Also, on a different note - the only place I have been checked is at the inspection place north of G.N.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:last friday at 5am we pulled up to the gate and it opened and we parked. wifey and i walked to the migra office around the back and presented passports. i asked for 2 "FREE 7 Day FMT's" and the guy looked at me like i just stole his chick! he said there is no free FMT's. only 180 days. i told him he was wrong. after a few tense minutes of nonsense, the guy pulled out his phone and said he was calling a supervisor (probably checking on his chick!) to see where the forms were. after some conversation, he hung up the phone and proceeded to continue to fill out the same forms that were 95% complete, marking 7 days. he handed them to us and we were on vacation.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

marooons don't even know their own laws. or even worse, they are being told to deny the free ones in the hopes of making some money for the govt. if it wasn't my last trip for awhile, i woulda paid straight away. times are tough and that's my $40.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 04:07 PM

Good for you Woody!

Hey, you could always tell him the Baja Nomads said it was so! :lol::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 04:21 PM

Dennis, I seem to recall some recent threads where it was determined that you could only stay above Maneadero for 72 hours without FMT. It also involved discussion of auto insurance being void, if you got into an accident and were in violation of the law. I know DK was part of the discussion.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 04:27 PM

This was (at one time) common knowledge:

The border zone was an area to Maneadero and to San Felipe (some writings say Mexicali only) where you could visit for up to 72 hours WITHOUT an FM-T (Tourist card). More than 72 hours, you need one.

The 7 day period is unofficial and only mentioned by state tourism people (not the feds who have authority over foreignors).

There is a 7 day FREE FM-T... if you insist on it, like Woody just did.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The 7 day period is unofficial and only mentioned by state tourism people (not the feds who have authority over foreignors).

Just like everything else here, inconsistancy prevails. I was told of the "one week" period by an immigration official five years ago.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 05:42 PM

Great Dennis (did you get it writing?) !!:rolleyes:

Have a great weekend!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great Dennis (did you get it writing?) !!:rolleyes:

Would it matter? Probably not. Is there any place to get the straight scoop on anything down here?
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 07:09 PM

We stopped going to the Ensenada office years ago because of that guy. It was always such a tense way to start our vacations and we always had all our paperwork in order. he just made you feel very unwelcome.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 07:23 PM

Anybody here able to tell me his name? I do have a very close contact in immigration that is definitely several pay grades higher than this lowlife and I would love to give them the deal on this guy.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 07:43 PM

Check your u2u

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 08:02 PM

Got it and answered. Thanks my friend...

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 09:37 AM

Yes, this issue needs to be cleared up so the illegals can come out of the shadows. :lol:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 01:54 PM

I seriously do hope something can be done about that guy. it would be insane to think someone legally in Ensenada would be fined for trying to extend their stay, and in doing so, stay legal. On a couple of occasions, I've had the misfortune to pull in at San Ysidro behind a tour bus. Had to wait forever. It would be comforting to know that I could really skip that wait and not get hijacked at the office in Ensenada.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
On a couple of occasions, I've had the misfortune to pull in at San Ysidro behind a tour bus. Had to wait forever.

It might be a good place to open a bar. You know how well they do next to a laundrimat. [is that how you spell "laundrimat?" Looks wrong.]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I do have a very close contact in immigration that is definitely several pay grades higher than this lowlife and I would love to give them the deal on this guy.

This guy has been there a long long time or they've been cloning his ethics in Ensenada. I've never been in that office but I've heard from an awful lot of unhappy tourist dealing with that office. Thanks BajaGringo for anything that may come of your inquiry.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 03:28 PM

Dennis- Try lavanderia automatica. May work. Great idea, but for the paucity of real estate available there. Although it seems there's alot of offices there that don't seem to matter.

Ron- If you can be of any help on this, you will become the Dios de Baja.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.