BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: It always amazes me how 45 minutes can pass by in what only seems like a moment
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 11:08 AM
It always amazes me how 45 minutes can pass by in what only seems like a moment

Descending on to El Bajo five minutes into the dive when we looked up and saw a formation of Golden Cownose Rays pass by overhead. As they swam by we joined onto the tail end of the group and followed in their slipstream for a good few minutes, I counted 85, twice, which should give you an idea of how long we were able to stay with them. As they slowly faded away into the distance we adjusted our gaze and focused on the Yellow Snapper that had come into view, then the Burrito Grunts and then the Leopard Grouper, by which time we had blown through our air and it was time to come up. It always amazes me how 45 minutes can pass by in what only seems like a moment, and this was confirmed by our guests, non of whom believed me when I said how long we were down and had to show them my dive computer as proof.
Diving on El Cantil for our second dive that day was also special. The first quarter of an hour went rapidly by as we came across first Grunts, then free swimming Panamic Green Morays interspersed with yet more Leopard Grouper and a couple of Guitarfish. Then a dark cloud appeared above and I felt that tingle of excitement rush down my spine as I knew what lay in store. We ascended into the throng, what seemed like ten thousand pairs of eyes came moving towards us as the writhing mass of Big Eyed Jacks engulfed our senses. For the rest of the dive we stayed with them, every time I suggested that we moved on I was met with a firm response, we would stay where we were, no problem for me. Back on the panga our excited guests couldn't believe what they had seen, "I never new fish amassed in such numbers!" was one comment, "more fish than you could shake a stick at!", was another.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 11:14 AM

Well done. A great report, felt like I was there with you.

Ken
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 11:15 AM

El Bajo/El Cantil must be Marine Parks/ Sanctuaries. No gill nets, etc.:bounce:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 11:51 AM

vseasport

Do you guys ever dive the living coral reef system about 1/2 mile directly off of Hotel Punta Pescadero? It is in about 60fsw, and in my opinion, it is much more extensive, interesting and diverse than anything I have seen in Cabo Pulmo. I have had many wonderful dives there but haven't seen it in a long time. Your email reminded me of my dives there. I am not familiar with "El Bajo/El Cantil" in that area, is it possible that one of those is the Pescadero reef I am referring to? I assume that the El Bajo you refer to is not the same El Bajo north of Los Islotes??

Thanks for these reports, brings back many memories.

Saludos, ++Ken++

[Edited on 5-7-2009 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for sharing your adventure, for those of us who do not dive, we can live the dive through your stories. Very descriptive.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 12:05 PM

vseasport

Thank you very much, I want to second what 24baja said.

Well said.:)

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 03:33 PM

any pictures?

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 04:40 PM

Ken....are you talking about the "Punta Pescadero" off of the east cape???...one of my favorite areas to dive....that road out to the hotel is nice, huh???...uhhhhhh....one time, i had brought my adult kids down for christmas and was taking them out there to dive....we got there, gathered up our equipment, hurried down the beach and rigged up and dove in and were immediately engulfed in CLOUDS of jellyfish....end of trip!....everyone was BRIGHT RED with stings...time for a tequila break!....but yeah, that area is prolific with sea life..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Ken....are you talking about the "Punta Pescadero" off of the east cape???...one of my favorite areas to dive....that road out to the hotel is nice, huh???...uhhhhhh....one time, i had brought my adult kids down for christmas and was taking them out there to dive....we got there, gathered up our equipment, hurried down the beach and rigged up and dove in and were immediately engulfed in CLOUDS of jellyfish....end of trip!....everyone was BRIGHT RED with stings...time for a tequila break!....but yeah, that area is prolific with sea life..

mulegemichael

That's the place!! I am definitely talking about Hotel Punta Pescadero on the east cape. One of my favorite places anywhere. The beach dive/snorkel right in front of the hotel is great, but there is also a fantastic living coral reef system about a half mile offshore that is not dived too often and is magnificent. Lots of life on the reef and I have seen many pelagics there.

++Ken++

carpe diem!
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 09:57 PM

Ken

We dive the reef off Hotel Pescadero all the time. At times it is fantastic. Sometimes even better than Cabo Pulmo. That being said Cabo Pulmo is the main event for the East Cape, in my book for the whole Sea Of Cortez. There are several reasons for that. First, geographically the Pulmo reefs are much larger with the deep water trench of Frailes near by to provide a perfect habitat for sea life to move up and down on. Second, Pulmo is a protected marine preserve. When I moved here 18 years ago the whole area from Ceralvo Island to Los Frailes was a virtual under water zoo. That is not true anymore and the areas that are not protected are showing the pressure (Pescadero included). Pulmo just keeps getting better. I don't know how smart fish are but my observation is it is obvious by the mind blowing volume of sea life they can sense the safety in the park.

The "El Bajo" and "El Canil" referred to in our reports are the two more popular reefs at Cabo Pulmo not to be mistaken for the famous El Bajo North of La Paz.

I apologize for not posting photos on Nomads with our reports but nothing I do seems to work. Some good images can be viewed on our web site dive report:
http://web.me.com/vseasport/VISTA_SEA_SPORT/DIVE_REPORT/DIVE...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 10:10 PM

Keep posting like this and I will need to come diving with you!
I have a Naui Open Water 1. But am a little out of practice. So I might need a little help.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 07:07 AM

Thanks for the update Mark (Jennifer??). Would love to dive with you guys someday. ++Ken++

carpe diem!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.