BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: hot sauce taste-testers needed-
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 05:36 PM
hot sauce taste-testers needed-

(26 may 2009- all samples on the way!)

Hi Y'all!

I need some willing victims....ummm,errr..........VOLUNTEERS to sample a new hot sauce I'm making. I make and sell a few products locally and some of them are hot sauces.

My latest recipe is made with chipotle peppers, habanero and bhut jolokia peppers. Lots of garlic and spices.

(note the Modelo in the photo for size reference-:saint:)

I have 20 samples available for folks to try and I need some feedback on the hot sauce. It's pretty hot with a smoky spicy flavor. Made with cider vinegar, spices, and peppers.

BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE.....!

for those of you who respond to this request and subject yourselves to the taste testing, you'll recieve another sample of my "tropical ghost hot sauce". It's a fruit-based finishing sauce. Use it on fish, chicken, rice, stirfry, you get the idea. It's a little sweet, and not so scorching hot.

Made with mandarin orange, pineapple, ginger, spices, habanero, bhut jolokia and red peppers.

I'd like to send some down into MX, but mailing and shipping is pretty crazy. If someone is traveling across the border soon and will be meeting up with Nomads south of the border, I can send a couple bottles to you.

U2U me with your mailing address. I'll be using US Postal Service (not UPS or FedEx) so make sure you u2u your MAILING address. I can mail to Canada also.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really need some feedback from some serious chileheads. Please, if you would like some samples, be willing to send back the survey form.
U2U me with your mailing address.

For those of you haven't heard about the Ghost Pepper(aka bhut jolokia) here's a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia
It's currently the hottest pepper in the world. YUM!

[Edited on 5-18-2009 by BajaNuts]

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by BajaNuts]

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by BajaNuts]
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 06:29 PM

WOW! I love the color and combo of colors!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 06:31 PM

How many Scoville units in each?

SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 07:17 PM

wowo that looks really good!!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 07:37 PM

Sign me up Bajanuts!
I am catering a wedding in two weeks and need a few bottles since I was told to make the food somewhat mild. I like my food wild.
Drop me a U2U

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 11:06 PM

bajamigo-
I haven't had these recipes tested for Scoville units yet. I'm working on the flavor-to-heat-ratio right now. On one of my other hot sauces, it comes in hotter than Tobasco. But I think this new hot sauce has more FLAVOR along with the heat of the sauce. I hope to get some good feedback from this taste testing and if I need to tweek anything in the recipe I will do that and then send it off for Scoville testing.

Just from my own taste testing, this hot sauce is much hotter than tobasco, but has a TON more flavor! I just asked hubby and he said the Ghost Fire hot sauce is 10x hotter than tobasco. Just a layman's opinion.

As a side note, I am a Washington state licensed food processor. I have sent some of my products out for Scoville ratings. I like to develop products with flavor along with heat. I think this new one with the Ghost Peppers is a really good recipe. But that's what I need you guys for! I need the expert opinions of other hot sauce experts.

thanks for the u2u's requesting samples. I have some more to send out, so send me your addy if you want some!

Ann
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 07:16 AM

just sent U2U!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 07:45 AM

I've U2U'd my request, gracias.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 08:15 AM

Boy oh boy am I looking forward to trying this hot sauce! Gonna taste real good, she sez, before it strips the lining from my innards. Oughta be good for whatever ails me. ;D:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 09:23 AM

Good morning, chileheads!

I have a few bottles not spoken for yet. And an offer from someone willing to put a package on the bus to get it further south. I've never sent a package on the bus before, so if someone wants some samples, I'll get a box set up for a bus ride, but you'll need to tell me the details.

thanks again for all the willing victims!
:lol:
Ann
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 09:28 AM

Mulege offer-
I have someone offering to take a couple bottles to Mulege next week. Don't know where else they may be stopping, but if you're on the way or in Mulege, here's your chance.
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 09:37 AM
hot sauce

Ann -- I would love to be a "victim," count me in....

Look for a U2U for details. Thanks!

Jim
susanna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 02:46 PM

Ck your U2U

sent from Sacramento, Ca
Thanks!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 03:19 PM

Bhut jolokia. I thought that was a pepper native to India that is just about the "hottest". (sorry habanero) My prefernce in sauces is to have a rich mixture of many flavors. When it get too hot, the ability to appreciate the flavors is overridden. Just my opinion.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 03:22 PM

going....going....GONE!

susanna got my last pair of samples. There is still the one set going Mulege direction with a traveler and a couple pairs going to Ensenada to the Baja500 rally in June. dtbushpilot is taking those.

And Natalie Ann, I'm making that "Special Edition" for you. I just can't resist a challenge when someone says "it can never be hot enough":lol:

we'll see...................:cool:

thanks to everyone else who has requested samples, I'll be getting them in the mail tomorrow. And if you want one of the above mentioned "traveling" bottles, let me know.
Thanks-
and I hope you all enjoy it painfully!
Ann
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Bhut jolokia. I thought that was a pepper native to India that is just about the "hottest". (sorry habanero) My prefernce in sauces is to have a rich mixture of many flavors. When it get too hot, the ability to appreciate the flavors is overridden. Just my opinion.

Yes Bajahowodd, that is correct. it was discovered fairly recently in India. Called bhut jolokia, ghost pepper, naga jolokia, and a couple other regional names.

Habaneros typically come in around 500,000 Scoville. The bhut jolokia have been tested at over 1,000,000 Scoville! earning it the official Guinness Book Of Records status as the hottest pepper in the world.

I also like my sauces to have some good flavor. What's the point of all the heat if it doesn't taste good?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 03:33 PM

Because too much heat overwhelms any detectable flavor!!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
And Natalie Ann, I'm making that "Special Edition" for you. I just can't resist a challenge when someone says "it can never be hot enough":lol:

we'll see...................:cool:

Ann

Oh dear - I said that?:biggrin:

ummmmm.... actually, Ann.... I was thinking your description already sounded pretty darn hot what with those Indian peppers 'n all.:wow:

okey doke..... I'll rise to the occasion.
I'll have plenty of milk on hand and look forward to tasting this fiery sauce.
Report at 6.:dudette:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
susanna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 04:17 PM

Thanks Ann, I will be looking for it in the mail.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 04:55 PM

From wikipedia-"what is a Scoville unit?"
"Scoville Organoleptic Test
In Scoville's method, a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar syrup until the "heat" is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper or a bell pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable, even undiluted. Conversely, the hottest chilis, such as habaneros, have a rating of 200,000 or more, indicating that their extract has to be diluted 200,000 times before the capsaicin presence is undetectable. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity."

I've heard it mentioned elsewhere (even on TV food shows) that Scoville heat units are measured by dilution with water. That appears to be incorrect.

And if anyone has ever watched a food show from some of the fiery food festivals, you may have noticed that SUGAR is the antidote for too-much-heat. Not bread, milk, water,............beer works cuz you get drunk and forget why your mouth is on fire..........:lol:

From first-hand experience of tasting pure peppers, sugar is the trick! I bought some pepper extract that has a Scoville of 1,000,000 and had to try it. I dipped a toothpick into the extract, touched it to my tongue and about passed out! I had to eat 1/2 cup straight sugar, holding it in my mouth, to finally kill the heat. My new label will have that tidbit of information on it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.